Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -
My wife has owned her 2002 MDX for almost 3 years now. It always run good, doesn't get that many miles on it. I'm contemplating changing the spark plugs. But working on her vehicle always causes more grief and caution. Seems the Acura has more technical stuff that my Dodge truck. Is changing plugs as simple as it is on my truck or Dodge car? I feel like there's a sensor for EVERYTHING and if I don't hold my tongue out of the correct side of my mouth, I'll screw something up. How much should I spend on plugs? I've seen everywhere from $4.79 for Autolite up to $13.99 for NGK with ACDelco and Bosch falling in between.
Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
You can find plenty of platinum or double platinum plugs in the $5 range. It would be hard to beat the Bosch plugs for a little over $3 a pop...
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/acura,2002,mdx,3.5l+v6,1382879,ignition,spark+plug,7212

Also, if the car has over 100,000 miles and has never had the valves adjusted, now would be a good time. OTOH, if the car isn't that close to 100,000 miles, I would question doing plugs (they really will last that long). Changing the plugs (only) isn't all that difficult - you do the front three, which are like falling off a log, and then use what you learned to do the back three (also simple, but you'll be doing it fairly blind because of where they are).

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you have no evidence of when the plugs were last done...
its a no brainier... time to pop for new plugs...
[[ I DO NOT believe in 100,000 km plugs.. even less for miles spark plugs... not for one moment ..]]

I just did the plugs on my TL. they were in for 60k.. most looked ok..except for one ..
but the gap had increased to an unacceptable level, even more compounded that the top electrode had developed a slight concave indent.. increasing the gap even more...!! they had been in for 10 years...

I did my DX as well, while i was in a spark plug frame of mind... they were in for 65k [km] glad I did them both
but thats just me..
;)
J

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Changing the spark plugs is insanely easy.. You don´t need special tools or anything to do it, Just need to stretch your arms to reach the rear plugs.
As for plugs: DO NOT USE Anything else BUT NGK, OEM plugs in that MDX uses either NGK Iridium IX or NGK Laser Platinum.

·
Registered
162 Posts
^^^^ what he said..!!!

this may help..!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Didn't watch the video, so sorry if it was covered there, but really the only "trick" to changing the plugs is to use two 3" extenders to get to the ones in the back, plug socket on the first one, work it part way down the tube (keep a hold on the end of it), then attach the second one. It makes navigating the tight space easier. Other than that, easy peasy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts