Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings-

Just how sensitive are our vehicles (2013 MDX Advanced) to tire diameter differences? Wife just ran over something that put a hell of a hole in the drivers rear tire. No way it is being patched. We have tire coverage from the dealer, and this is covered, but I know they are only going to want to replace the one tire, not the set. How concerned should I be about the difference between and new tire and the other three worn tires? How sensitive is the AWD system to tire diameter differences? Other three tires are all ~6-7/32". I think new is somewhere in the 10-12/32".

I know on my Audi, when I needed to replace just one tire, I had Tire Rack shave the new tire to the same diameter as the other 3 (8/32").

Thanks for any input!

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Only a Honda Engineer can tell you if it will cause any issues..
The owners manual is pretty informative about changing tires in full sets.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I might be tempted to replace two tires, put the new ones on the front, and neglect to rotate the tires for a while.

OTOH unless I have winter tires/wheels to swap on, I consider 5-6/32 worn out for all-season tires that are about to be driven in winter. Your current set is getting close to that threshold. I think the Farmer's Almanac is calling for snow this winter. Maybe.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
It is recommended in the manual to first replace all four tires to keep the diameter the same because of sh-awd. Second choice in the owners manual is to replace the one bad with two new tires and ALWAYS keep them on the same axle (you can convert the extra used tire into a full size spare). Third choice is look for a used tire from eBay that has the same amount of wear as the other three (I did this with my RDX for only $75). Fourth choice is to shave a new tire down to match the other three.

I like the eBay used tire route. I purchased my full size spare for my MDX on eBay and I made sure it was around 7/32 to match the existing tires tread depth as close as possible whenever I needed to use the spare over the next 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the dealer didn't seem concerned about replacing just on tire. I'll measure the real life tread depth differences tonight. Maybe I'll just need to hit another pothole to get another new tire so I have a matching pair. :)

I run dedicated snows in the winter, so these are summer only tires, so 6/32" is still way within service limit.

Thanks.

Paul.,

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I would run 6/32 down to 4/32 during spring/summer/early fall months also. 6/32 or below is really pushing it for the limited snow days we have late fall and winter in the southwest. Putting your winter set on give you almost 3-4 months before you really need to make a decision about replacing the one bad all season tire.:29:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts