Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my 04 MDX to the dealership to have a recall repaired. I have a burned out headlight and asked them to replace it. They told me it that they had to take the front bumper off to replace the bulbs and it would be $280.00. Have any of you MDX owners had this experience?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
RUN away from that dealer. Seriously... never darken their door again. Swapping out a bulb in an '04 MDX is a two-minute job that a trained chimp could handle with ease.

OTOH, if there's something structurally wrong with your headlight (not indicated by anything you wrote), that could be different (not sure if the bumper has to come off for a headlight replacement, but I wouldn't be too surprised).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! We called them and suspended the job. They offered to do it for $120 which we declined. Heading out to the auto parts store! Btw, the only reason we went to the dealer is to get a repair per a recall for passenger air bag. CROOKS!

·
Registered
869 Posts
The bumper has to come off for headlight housing replacement. And foglight bulbs take some digging to get to. But headlight bulbs? Really? 5 minutes if you take a break half way through it.

But if the bulb blew because of water getting into the housing, that's a different issue. ( some leak )

BTW, suggest replacing the bulbs in pairs. When one goes, the other is close behind. Also, they get dimmer with age.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Wow $280 to change a bulb, that's a keeper dealer...not

I have a HOLE in my headlight, (Looks like rock hit it square on), I have to remove the bumper? I've just tape up the hole.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
forbin404, sorry... yes, apparently you DO have to drop the bumper to get the headlight in/out. Looks like something that would be a lot easier with two people (and a diagram of all the bolt, clips and widgets you have to deal with).

·
Registered
641 Posts
I pulled the bumper cover to install transmission fluid and power steering fluid coolers. It's actually pretty easy. Maybe buy some spare panel fasteners in case you lose/break any.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts