Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to replace the Acura MDX head unit? I havent found one the right size. If there is, please let me know where i can find them.

Thanks!
Dura(MDX)

·
Registered
69 Posts
DuraMDX,
There is not a direct replacement for the factory stereo at this time.
Right now your only option is to have some custom work done as noody makes an install kit either. You can basically buy and DIN size head unit that will fit and have your local custom stereo shop build a custom install kit. That is what I had done.
Good luck.

·
Registered
282 Posts
how do you remove the panels around the stereo to access it? I'd appreciate if any body can tell me. I'd like to know the wires behind it. I wanna see if I can splice my forthcoming video player's sound to the stock bose. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
50 Posts
Removing Radio / NAV unit

Your post inspired me to tear my dash apart. I've been wanting to test an RF Modulator in the MDX so... here are the pictures and steps I took to do it...

First remove the coin tray and with a stubby phillips screwdriver, remove 3 screws in the area of the green arrows.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Removing the wood trim

Next, pull down on the metal top of the coin tray holder (the part that the screws where holding up). Stick your hand in the gap created by pulling down on the coin holder. Press outwards on the three tabs to seperate the bottom of the wood trim piece. The three tabs are circled in green below...

Once the bottom is separated, pull outwards with slow gental pressure to release the tabs on the sides.

Do the same for the top area then slide the panel straight out towards you about 2 - 3 inches.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Disconnect wires

Each connection point for the Hazard Lights, Interior Lights and the Climate Control buttons have a "tab" in the center of the connector, press this tab in then pull the connector straight back to disconnect it. Remove the wood trim piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
just about done...

Now you can pull the Radio Nav unit out and get to the connectors on the back of the units.

There are only two connectors on the back of the NAV screen both with the center "tab" disconnects.

Shown below are the 4 screws on each side of the radio to remove the radio from the MDX.

Hopefully this will help you some... Good luck and don't let those sharp metal tabs on the sides of the Radio / NAV assembly scratch the dash covering around the Radio / NAV hole.

Take care...
-Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Digital MDX,
Thanks for posting your pictures, I wish I had them when I did my RF modulator instal. I think they should put these pictures in a knowledge base or something so people can readily find them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Very imformative pictures...

Do you have a picture of what the connection looks like for the cd changer? I'm trying to find out which Honil adapter will work with the alpine changer...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Changer

I don't have a picture of the back of the unit... but it's actually a Pioneer 6 disc changer, not an Alpine. At least in the touring/Navi setup I have. -or- do you mean you are hooking up an Alpine changer?... anyway the changer is by Pioneer and the Nav unit is by Alpine...
-Jay

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thank you so much DigitalMDX. very informative. You just saved a lot of time to those people like me trying to figure out how to get to the radio.

So did you figure out how to splice the video sound to the Radio? Thanks again

·
Registered
50 Posts
RF Modulator

I think the easiest way to get video sound into the unit would be with an RF Modulator. I have an RF Modulator that I've had for a couple of years that I hooked up but it must be bad.
Anyone have a recommendation on a RF FM Modulator? Also a source with a good price?
Also, if you didn't want to tear your dash apart and didn't mind a small wire on the front of your radio, you could go with one of those cassette adapters. I've been using one with a portable MP3 player and it works great, the wire is the only drawback.
Thanks
-Jay

·
Registered
217 Posts
proskunetes,

I could be wrong, but I believe the HONIL adapter IS the actual part number for a 6 disc Alpine. For a 10 disc kenwood changer, it is a KENHON. Get a HONIL and you will be OK with an Alpine changer. I have the Kenwood, and like the extra 4 discs.............

You may be asking about what adapter plug is needed to make the HONIL adapter fit the stock radio. If so, the connector name is a "Molex adapter". It is a multi-pin rectangular connector vice the round "DIN type". Get a Molex adapter plug and the HONIL and your set---know this as case for base radio from my install

If you have not purchased yet, I used www.autotoys.com with good luck. I got the Kenwood changer, Molex adapter, and the needed adapter (KENHON in my case) for $238 delivered. Was pure plug and play. They also had the Alpine 6 disc for slightly less.

Tim at HondaAcuraWorld also has very good discounted prices on the Acura unit as a consideration. He mentioned he had quite a few in stock, and might make a good deal---it is the same as the Alpine as far as operations. Good luck

·
Registered
217 Posts
Forgot to mention above, but you may find several sites (including autotoys) that says the HONIL connector (with MOLEX adapter) may not/will not work with the navigation unit. Not the case, that reference is for an older Acura. Plugs right in on a 2001 MDX

·
Registered
282 Posts
another idea of removing the radio trim.

You can use a swiss knife blade and insert in the bottom of the "wood" trim. There certain spots you need to insert the blade. The markers I used--the 2 skip/select buttons on your left, use the inner one(closer to the middle) as a guide, and directly below that is where you start to insert the blade and pry the trim slightly being careful not to let it slide back in. you may use another blade or flat screwdriver to keep the trim from sliding back in. The next one is found by using the center of the #3/4 buttons as a guide. Pry the trim directly below that until you unlock that clip holding it in place. The third one, use the inner(the one closer to the middle) seek buttons on the right side of the radio. pry that trim slowly till you unlock that clip. Then you can slowly/carefully work your way up the rest of the trim. If you do this, you dont have to remove the ashtray in hte bottom.

Of course if you/re in doubt, use digital MDX method (that's what i used at first). It's very safe. And when you removed the trim, look at the bottom of the wood trim and you wll see that the edges where the clips are located you can see those flat holes i'm telling you where to pry the trim. It'll be a lot easier next time you remove the trim if you pry on these areas.
Thanks again to Digital MDX.Without him I wouldnt have found out how to remove the trim.

by the way, there's an extra open pin connector slot in the back of the radio beside the one already connected to the wirings. I'm guessing that's a cd changer input port. Can somebody clarify on this. If so, maybe we can find a harness so we can conect a video players's sound.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The extra port, rectangular, is the CD changer input. Am guessing it would take more than just a harness, as the head unit wants to talk with the changer, but may be possible. Somebody with wiring diagrams........................

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I have the ('01) wiring diagrams, but no connector on either radio is listed for the remote CD changer, nor is anything ID'd as any audio input (except for the Bose front amp or either rear amp). Sorry.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts