Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is necessary to remove the hub to replace a wheel stud on an '03 MDX? I'm hoping there is an access hole that I can pound it out of and put a new one in place without removing the whole hub. This is on the rear BTW.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
That thread is for one on the front though. The one I need to replace is on the back.
Problem is different but similar. It's not clear whether there's enough room between flange and knuckle to extract the broken stud, or more importantly insert the new full length stud. There may be. I would buy a stud and check the spacing. If yes, then you can drive old out w/ hammer and pull new in w/ stud puller or wheel nut and washers (tends to be a bit messy but will work).

If not enough space, the entire knuckle will need to be removed to allow separation of wheel flange from knuckle w/ machine shop press or other special purpose tools.

good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

I am running on 4 studs on my front wheel. (MDX 2005). Is there any way to put in a new stud without removing the hub (part of the old one is still there) ? I don't mind grinding part of the new stud. Has anybody done this successfully? Thank you

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Your best chance may be to search youtube for a pilot or mdx lug replacement. From linked thread in this post, it looks to be a big job, either DIY or shop.

good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

here is the link:

Good luck!

Do you have said photos?

Do you have said photos?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts