Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a lot of reading about age of tires vs tread life, I decided to change out my original Michelin Cross Terrain tires. Wow, what a difference! better handling, better ride, less noise & braking feels better. I didn't expect age to play such a drastic role on a perfectly good looking tire. Makes me glad that I changed my timing belt at 31k miles.

I went with the Michelin Latitude Tour's on my 04'. They have a $70 rebate going on right now and I couldn't be happier. Total came to about $778 after taxes w/o rebate.. so after rebate, a little over $700.

The old tires held up but you can see some small cracks in the tread (sidewall looked perfectly fine).

·
Registered
133 Posts
You did the Timing Belt way to early & your tires way to late.
Was this vehicle not driven much? The tires should have been replaced at 5yrs if just sitting on the vehicle. The tread wear would have not been the issue with low miles but dry rot. My timing belt on my 00 TL was almost 12yrs old and I had 91,500 miles when replaced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You did the Timing Belt way to early & your tires way to late.
Was this vehicle not driven much? The tires should have been replaced at 5yrs if just sitting on the vehicle. The tread wear would have not been the issue with low miles but dry rot. My timing belt on my 00 TL was almost 12yrs old and I had 91,500 miles when replaced.
Hey FTM1. I just purchased this car from an elderly man about a month ago so it was to my surprise that everything was still original on this car. This was his third vehicle and only took it out on vacation and occasionally grocery shopping. He mentioned it didn't sit for long periods of time.

As for the timing belt, I'm all about the 'ride it till it breaks' mentality but because my wife is currently pregnant and I'll be carrying my newborns in this car, that way of thinking is no longer an option. I wanted to follow the factory recommendation of 105k/7years.

I actually felt the same with the tires.. ride it till it blows! but.. priorities are different now haha..

Did your timing belt look ok after 12yrs? Visually my 10yr old timing belt looked perfect.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Take it from me, after 10 years radial tires are just waiting to fail. The old bias ply tires can be 100 years old, but if they hold air, they are good to go. Radial tires will "delaminate" (I don't know if that's the right word) even if they look brand new. I had a Road Runner that sat on BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires and got the occasional Sunday drive, so after 10 years, the tires were pretty much brand new looking. Got it up to highway speeds one day and the right front tire pretty much deconstructed itself out of nowhere. Left rear was about to blow as well.

5 to 7 years max!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Are those multi purpose or just road tires? I'm hoping to find a road-only tire that will give the quietest ride possible. The most off-road my MDX has ever gotten is a puddle. :)

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I think donut spares have a 7-10 year shelf life also. You might want to look into a full size spare or a new donut spare for the X.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Are those multi purpose or just road tires? I'm hoping to find a road-only tire that will give the quietest ride possible. The most off-road my MDX has ever gotten is a puddle. :)
If you're looking for a tire you'd put on the MDX that bears no resemblance to an SUV tire, then I'd go with the Michelin Primacy MXV4. These are actually the OEM tires on the Pilot Touring, and I've run them on various cars, including a Ford Freestyle (which is similar weight and config to an MDX). They will work just fine on a vehicle this size/weight, are virtually silent on the road, smooth as silk, do well in the rain - and their downside is snow/winter traction - but that's probably not an issue for you in FL :cool: . I'd go that route if you're looking for a limo-like ride on your MDX.

andy

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you're looking for a tire you'd put on the MDX that bears no resemblance to an SUV tire, then I'd go with the Michelin Primacy MXV4. These are actually the OEM tires on the Pilot Touring, and I've run them on various cars, including a Ford Freestyle (which is similar weight and config to an MDX). They will work just fine on a vehicle this size/weight, are virtually silent on the road, smooth as silk, do well in the rain - and their downside is snow/winter traction - but that's probably not an issue for you in FL :cool: . I'd go that route if you're looking for a limo-like ride on your MDX.

andy
Thanks! That has long been the "go-to" quiet tire for a while now. It's been a long time since I was active in the forums and I am pleased to hear it's still popular. I have a set of goodyears on there right now I'm not thrilled about. It's not a bad tire, just noisy and that's my pet peeve. Since it's never winter here, and since I never drive the MDX like anything but an old man, I just want quiet and comfort.

·
Registered
4 Posts

andy

Question... I am looking for a "limo-like ride" when I replace my 9-yr old Cross Terrains, but how is the ride of your MXV4's at highway speeds? I regularly cruise at 75MPH. Is the ride controlled as we should expect from an MDX? Or can it get sloppy?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts