Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MDX is not even a year old yet and a rock already took the windshield out. I am getting quotes now and there is a significant price difference between the OEM and other windshield manufacturers. I can't seem to get a convincing answer from anyone as to the difference. I'd appreciate it if anyone could weigh in to help me decide. Cost differential is $200.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
The MDX has special sound deadening glass in the windshield so I can imagine that some aftermarket glass could be an inferior part - i.e. lacking some of the sound deadening of the OEM. I don't know for certain the aftermarket is inferior - just that it could easily be since it could lack this feature, which is part of why the OEM glass is more expensive.

For $200 I wouldn't even spend any time thinking about it - I'd go with OEM, and this is coming from a person who's fairly thrifty. If nothing else, think of it this way - that $200 is a very small percentage of the value of that vehicle and what you paid for the vehicle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, and I agree. Turns out that the high quotes at $560 weren't even OEM. Dealer wants $1400! Ouch. I am hearing that the lane keeping assist system may need to be recalibrated too. That was one expensive pebble.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Did insurance kick in for you on this? I hope it allows you to go with OEM without any additional out of pocket on your part.

I now have over 40K miles on my 2014 MDX which includes two coast to coast round trips plus some other long distance trips and still have the original windshield. It sounds like you've had some bad luck on yours but these things really are random.

I did get a rock chip on one of the trips and had Safelite repair that chip but that was a mistake and I wouldn't do that again since the repair spot is more annoying visually than it was with just the rock chip - and it wasn't one that was spreading or causing any other issue. Lesson learned for me on that one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't in the car when the rock hit the windshield so I hope it was a big one. The crack expanded overnight. This has been a learning experience for sure. There are after market windshields from $400-$600 but Acura wants $1400 for the OEM. Whoever installs the windshield apparently determines if the sensors need to be recalibrated although I am not sure how. If they do need to be recalibrated, then only the Acura dealer can do it for another $300. When the potential price tag rose to $1700, I filed a claim with my insurance (I have $500 deductible) and they'll pay the dealer for the OEM glass and install. The dealer basically outsources the windshield install but the car is there in the event a recalibration is needed.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Just FYI!
Aftermarket DOES have Sound Deadening replacements in the 600-800 region.
You have to go really, dumb cheap to get a Non-Sound Deadening replacement sub 500 bucks.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
^^ Thanks for that info about the aftermarket deadening - my point is that although windshields might look about the same they might actually be built differently in a way that has an effect on its behavior. In fact, I think there's a difference between the windshield in the Tech versus the Advance with the Advance having more deadening than the Tech. This isn't something people would see in driving the two vehicles but it can make a difference in the quietness of the cabin. If going aftermarket one really needs to know the specific windshield they're buying since they're not all the same.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Yeah definitely I think OEM is the way to go but the price is retarded.... Even if the windshields are made in Japan the price bump for that "Acura" Logo is ridiculous... No way in hell I am paying MSRP for a OEM windshield.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree with Skirmish which is why I called around first. But, since the insurance company is picking up the tab, why not get OEM? The lowest price I got on aftermarket glass was $380. I also feared they'd screw up the LKAS and Acura would tell me I'd have to pay to fix it since I went for the cheap glass. The insurance company is paying me for a one day rental I don't need as the dealer will give me a loaner (frankly they should detail my car too for that price), so out of pocket will be $450.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
The windshield broke. Insurance is paying most of it. Why does this post even exist? I can't believe you would even think about not going oem. You bought a car that listed for almost 60k and you are thinking of going cheap on a windshield? Doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
672 Posts
For my Base SH-AWD I paid between $400 and $500 for the windshield replacement (I have high-deductible insurance). The only feature needed is the noise dampening, which is common enough. I can't imagine paying more than double that just for a windshield that came through Acura. After all, one of those "aftermarket" suppliers is almost certainly the OEM supplier as well. I can not detect any difference, although there may be a little more (or less) road noise and I wouldn't notice it. Higher trims, or cars with the safety electronics package, may need a different windshield to support the cameras, etc, although Acura uses the same one for all MDXes.

Even for simple things like oil changes or (my favorite) air filter changes Acura dealers charge far too much IMHO. These things can really add up over the ownership period. I gave my local dealer a chance to not gouge me, and now I will be using independents wherever possible. There are a few things that require special tools or knowledge but windshield replacement isn't one of them. Aligning the systems that operate through the windshield may be an Acura-only thing, but thankfully I don't need them. It can be fun having such toys (features?) but complexity does come with a cost.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At the risk of belaboring this pointless post, I’ll explain why I reached out to fellow MDXers even though insurance is covering my loss. I have not replaced a windshield is probably 25 years. I expected the windshield to cost between $300-$600. If $600 or below, I preferred to keep my insurance company out of it. I also knew that dealers don’t typically perform this work so I called around. As I mentioned in my first post, most quotes came in between $550-580 with an outlier at $379. I made the mistake of not asking the first couple of vendors if the replacement glass was OEM. So, I posted on the forum under the assumption the high quotes were. Very happy I did because after calling back the high bids, they too were using aftermarket glass. As soon as I asked for OEM most didn’t call me back. One very helpful company did, but basically told me if I was using insurance it made more sense to go with the dealer since they couldn’t do the recalibration of the sensors, which I didn’t consider either. I was ignorant, and this forum saved me from making a mistake. Thank you MDXers.

Also, like PDXSailor, I avoid using the dealer for anything other than simple services unless the car is out of warranty. I pay the premium for the loaner and the hope they can catch items the warranty covers or small stuff they like to gouge luxury car owners with once your car is out of warranty. I think they all do it; I took my Audi that recently came off warranty for a recall and they noticed the sun visor clip was broken. They wanted $100 to replace a 5 cent piece of plastic that takes two minutes to install. The parts department wanted $68 for just the part. I found that I could buy it on Amazon for $35 (Audi OEM) or $15 for third party. They did this for free when it was under warranty. If you have a trustworthy shop they are always the way to go. That free coffee and donuts aren’t free and they have revenue goals too so I stopped counting how many times they’ve told me my brakes needed to be replaced and then gone on and get 15K more miles out of them.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Ok,I'm sorry you have had problems with dealers. Yes,dealers are expensive. They also have a lot of overhead. They make most of their money on service and used car sales. Having worked in retail for most of my life,I know what happens when people start using alternate places to shop. The next time you have to drive 100 miles for warranty work,remember that lack of support may explain why there are no closer dealers. Just my opinion. A lot has changed in 25 years,especially prices. I have found the Acura dealers I have dealt with to be honest. I had the 50,000 mile service on my last MDX. Fully expecting to need brakes. And surprise,they said not yet.
I understand avoiding insurance if possible. In Illinois,windshields are comprehensive with no deductible. So it's a no brainer.
I wonder what kind of glass that under $400 place is using?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The $580 quotes were using Pilkington, the $379 guys wanted to use FYG. Not sure who the OEM is. The side windows say PGW so maybe that?

Since I am in Southern California, there are literally 10 dealers within 30 minutes. Not all are the same - I've had better experiences with some of them.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Not sure who the OEM is. The side windows say PGW so maybe that?
You'd need to check the windshield itself - usually something in the corner somewhere. The windshield glass on my 2014 Tech is 'AGC Automotive'. The side windows are PGW in the front and AGC Automotive in the back. Acura could be using multiple vendors as well so they might not all be the same provider. It might also vary for base/tech/advance and year.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ok,I'm sorry you have had problems with dealers. Yes,dealers are expensive. They also have a lot of overhead. They make most of their money on service and used car sales. Having worked in retail for most of my life,I know what happens when people start using alternate places to shop. The next time you have to drive 100 miles for warranty work,remember that lack of support may explain why there are no closer dealers.
Yes, dealers have a high overhead and selling new cars is not nearly as profitable as they would like. But that is no excuse for being dishonest, recommending unnecessary work, and multiplying MSRP parts prices. As for the scarcity of Acura dealers, it is not a result of a shortage of customers but an intentional strategy to minimize competition, concentrate sales (cars and service), and thus shore up prices and profits. It is no accident that the best prices are obtained in the really large metropolitan areas where multiple dealers compete - up in the PNW great deals are as scarce as a dry winter day. This strategy is nothing new; it has been part of the plan from the beginning with Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus. It also feeds into the image of exclusivity they try to cultivate.

I understand avoiding insurance if possible. In Illinois,windshields are comprehensive with no deductible. So it's a no brainer.
Lucky you. IIRC that use to be the case here, but no longer. The full deductible applies to windshields so those of us with higher deductibles get hit with the full price. I suspect this is tied to the high rate of windshield failures in modern autos - modern windshields are not nearly as rugged as a few decades ago.

Greg

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just had my windshield replaced. The insurance company (State Farm) only covers the cost of replacement glass and if you want OEM with the Acura Logo glass I I would have had to pay the difference between the negotiated price the insurance company has with the glass shops and the OEM glass would have been $600.00 in addition to the $250.00 dollar deductible I had to pay regardless. I chose to go with the replacement glass. I have a 2014 Tech with all the electronic gizmos. The interesting thing was they said it would be Pilkington glass. When it came it was actually from AGC. After installation in the lower right hand corner there the glass information such as brand, description and bar code. Interesting there was a waviness in the glass above this information about a 1/4" in diameter above the AGC name. I thought it was a defect and so did the glass shop. So they ordered a replacement. A week later when I went back in to have it replaced they had ordered three windshields and they all had the same defect although they varied in size slightly. Fast forward to today and while my MDX is in the shop I have a loner TLX and interesting enough TLX's windshield is also made by AGC and has the same information imprinted with the barcode etc. What was interesting was where I have the distortion in the glass on my MDX windshield the TLX has the Acura logo, So the "aftermarket" windshield was an OEM unit with the logo ground/polished away! Also, the gas shop did not have to recalibrate any of the sensors and lane keeping, rain sensing etc are working just fine. The windshield shop said that was the only replacement windshield available. Interesting point according to the glass shop no one else make the windshield replacement.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Just go to the dealer, ask parts to negotiate a wholesale price on the glass and who their installer is. Speak with your service writer and inform him/her you have already spoken with parts. Get a written quote. Then call your insurance company and tell them the car is at the dealer with a broken windshield and you need to have it done there because Acura specifies that if you don't use factory parts they won't honor your electronics warranty - automatic wipers, camera, lane assist etc. New Driver Assist / Safety Systems Require OE Parts: https://www.glassbytes.com/documents/PartsInfoDriverAssistSystemsFinal.pdf

"Installing anything other than an original equipment replacement windshield may cause these systems to work abnormally. Most specifically, the camera will not be able to aim properly"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts