Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have a '17 MDX. the car only came with one key (driver). I need to program another fob. I have a place in mind that will charge $50 to program and cut it for me. Where have you guys bought a fob/key combo from that you are happy with?

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just went through this for my 2017, I used a local lock smith company and they charged $180 for key and key fob, the dealer wanted $450. The locksmith said that used car companies or dealerships sell the lock-smiths the keys they get from trade-ins and that they spend about 50-90% of their time making people 2nd keys for their vehicles. So it's another car dealer scam. I did talk to the True-car folks about it and they said that they would "investigate the problem". I bought my car through Vroom and they are recommended or use true car to sell their cars. so IMO call local lock-smith and see what they charge and check which key you have is it #1 or #2 it says it on the back you'll need the other one.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I just went through this for my 2017, I used a local lock smith company and they charged $180 for key and key fob, the dealer wanted $450. The locksmith said that used car companies or dealerships sell the lock-smiths the keys they get from trade-ins and that they spend about 50-90% of their time making people 2nd keys for their vehicles. So it's another car dealer scam. I did talk to the True-car folks about it and they said that they would "investigate the problem". I bought my car through Vroom and they are recommended or use true car to sell their cars. so IMO call local lock-smith and see what they charge and check which key you have is it #1 or #2 it says it on the back you'll need the other one.
I am truly shocked. To think that a dealer with all their overhead and employees would actually charge more than a 1 or 2 person locksmith with probably 1% of the overhead.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No shame in bznz anymore. Lock smith said if a car goes through. Wholesale auction it will usually only leave with one key the auction sells the 2nd key. So doesn’t matter if it’s a used car lot, dealer, wholesaler auction. These expensive keys are like cash to these guys. Same thing happened with my daughters Camry I bought last year only had one key... ridiculous.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi folks,

I have a '17 MDX. the car only came with one key (driver). I need to program another fob. I have a place in mind that will charge $50 to program and cut it for me. Where have you guys bought a fob/key combo from that you are happy with?

Thanks
If your car didn’t come with remote start, consider getting that genuine Acura accessory. It comes with two new fobs (but not the metal Emerency key). We added remote start at purchase and as a result have four working fobs, two original and two that include the remote start button.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The place where I bought the car from notified me that they had a 2nd key sent to them. They sent me the second key and it works, so I think I am good for now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If your car didn’t come with remote start, consider getting that genuine Acura accessory. It comes with two new fobs (but not the metal Emerency key). We added remote start at purchase and as a result have four working fobs, two original and two that include the remote start button.
That is a great option, and I did the same. It is $300 for the remote start kit.
It looks like starting with 17, the antenna is not present on all models, so you may need to purchase that for the 2-way function.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wanted to add the remote start too, but for the 15 model, there is a TSB which about the poor range performance, and it has to replace a new transmitter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wanted to add the remote start too, but for the 15 model, there is a TSB which about the poor range performance, and it has to replace a new transmitter.
The accessory kit 38015-TZ5-A30, for the 16+ comes with the newer transmitter and keys. It is the same kit used for the 14-15 TSB.

·
Registered
107 Posts
On our ‘15 with remote start:

when remote started you can lock and unlock the car from the fob or exterior door handles

when car started normally you can only lock the doors from the inside door buttons or with the metal key in the driver door exterior keyhole

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
That's bad, even my old Nissan can lock the car while it is running, it's very convenient while I was a delivery boy.
Don’t know how old your Nissan was. In the old days their were no computers monitoring the car. When I delivered,I turned the car off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts