Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need a replacement key fob because my unlock button is broken. The dealership wants $155 to fix my key fob. That's crazy!

Has anyone used Replacement Key Fobs and Keyless Entry Remotes (keylessentryremotefob.com)? The site has replacement key fobs for $48.77.

I know the key fobs on that site are used and refurbished. I also understand that I will have to program the replacement key fob. I'm okay with all of this.

Does anyone have experience using Replacement Key Fobs and Keyless Entry Remotes ?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Nope, but because you will need someone with the programming tool you might as well just buy the remote and programming from the same place as it can be quite a hassle if there are programming difficulties. Ask me how I know!

If you engage a local auto locksmith that does replacement fobs and they can't deliver a working unit you don't pay them, but if you order online it can be difficult to return the fob. A simple Google search for your area will turn up a provider. You may also try Ace Hardware as they recently added the service to their repertoire.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I need a replacement key fob because my unlock button is broken. The dealership wants $155 to fix my key fob. That's crazy!
Not really. A new key fob itself is around $70, plus they probably charge a flat rate considering an hour to program it.

If you only need a new keyfob, you can buy it separately, transfer the key blade and program it yourself, which is exactly what I did here:

I do not recommend any third party keyfobs, they are mostly garbage both in terms of quality (poorly made, icons will erase quickly, some buttons might not work, etc, I've seen a lot of those cases, it's simply not worth trying to save 10-15 bucks here).

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
acuraoemparts.com, you can buy only the remote portion for $50 and there's a youtube video on how to program the unlock/lock/trunk buttons to your MDX. Way better than the refurb units! use coupon code acurazine for 5% off

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had exactly the same problem & just did all of this. [email protected] YouTube video. Very helpful.

I did buy an aftermarket fob for $40. The case has slightly more texture & no Acura symbol but is otherwise pretty good. That said, I’m having trouble getting the reprogramming to work - I expect it might be the new transmitter as the old one is working exactly as Bogdan said it would.

I have replaced numerous keys & fobs on different vehicles over the years, the 2 stumbling blocks are immobilizer chips & laser cut keys, never the reprogramming. I think I would take Bogdan’s advice & get an OEM fob but change over the key.

It’s worth noting that if your key sticks a bit out of the case when closed - that’s inherent in the key hub, not the case or spring (as I had hoped). The only way to fix that is with an expensive new metal key-the keys are cheap-the cutting is not.

I intended to keep my old fob without a key as an unlock/lock device but since the unlock is broken, the “open power gate” won’t work if the vehicle is locked-it will if unlocked. The “panic” still works but that is if no value to me. Since the lock works, I do keep it inside the house for my nightly “lock” of all 3 of our vehicles.

Another compkication - the screws holding the swing mechanism on my OEM keys were blue loctited in place. One of them actually sheared in two instead of unscrewing & the other stripped out - it took a little work to make those functional again.

Also, if looking aftermarket - note some show an SUV liftgate & others a car trunk icon.

I believe these are the Acura IEM part #s

35111-STX-329 / 35111-STX-326

transmitter only: 72147-STX-A12 / 72147-STX-A32

·
Registered
77 Posts
The unlock button on both of mine quit working...took it apart and found that the button has come off the circuit board, i can solder, so ill fix it myself.
If you cant solder, take it to a cellphone repair shop and slide them a 10 dollar bill, bet theyll do it.
Unless youve already lost that tiny bastard.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The unlock button on both of mine quit working...took it apart and found that the button has come off the circuit board, i can solder, so ill fix it myself.
If you cant solder, take it to a cellphone repair shop and slide them a 10 dollar bill, bet theyll do it.
Unless youve already lost that tiny bastard.
Ha ha, that was exactly my plan but that’s exactly what happened- when I finally got around to getting my solder out, I couldn’t find the button. Those 4 connections were pretty tiny though

·
Registered
77 Posts
Full disclosure, my exbro-in-law owns one of those cell repair joints...he has a good size collection of micro-min parts from old phones.
Would imagine other shops are similarly situated.
Tiny switches, are tiny switches, really only a couple kinds.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just my experience, but I had a "Driver 1" key that was trashed when I bought my vehicle, so I grabbed a $9.99 one off ebay (brand new, aftermarket) and gave it to the dealer when I was there for something else. They cut and programmed it for free, but couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start the vehicle. When I got home I pulled the immobilizer chip from the old one and dropped it in the new one, worked perfectly. So, $9.99 wasn't a bad deal..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts