Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you remember a while back I replaced my starter with DENSO remanufactured one and save the old one for rebuild. So today I replaced the solenoid on the old starter to complete the rebuild. The OEM solenoid is about $5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
88 Posts
I just ordered a brand new Denso starter today and was wondering what your symptoms were before changing your starter. For the past 2 weeks, I had to jump start my MDX every time the car sat for only a few minutes. I have a new yellow top optima battery and a 300 amp alternator that is not even a year old, load tested both, pulled the HFL unit, checked for parasitic draw but it's only drawing 20 milliamps. The only thing that I found while load testing is that the starter threw a couple of faults but I am wondering if it could be just the solenoid causing the hard starting problem because it starts up easily with the battery booster.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be a stuck solenoid. If I were you replace the solenoid first (only $5). Probably you could replace the solenoid without removing the starter.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make sure to clean you battery connector and terminals really good.
Or it could be your battery is too weak. Try interstate battery

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
88 Posts
My new Optima yellow top battery still has 12.7 volts when the car cannot start, used the battery terminal cleaning kit on it and the lights etc all work fine until you try to crank it. What confuses me is why the car can start when I hook up the battery booster pack which is why I was kinda leaning towards a faulty shorted out starter solenoid but I would hate to bust my knuckles trying to change just the solenoid only to have to swap out the entire starter later. I was optimistically hoping it would be one of the relays 😄 .

·
Registered
874 Posts
My new Optima yellow top battery still has 12.7 volts when the car cannot start, used the battery terminal cleaning kit on it and the lights etc all work fine until you try to crank it. What confuses me is why the car can start when I hook up the battery booster pack which is why I was kinda leaning towards a faulty shorted out starter solenoid but I would hate to bust my knuckles trying to change just the solenoid only to have to swap out the entire starter later. I was optimistically hoping it would be one of the relays 😄 .

Give it 12v directly to the connector of the starter, if engine will turn it is not the starter.

Reactions: Modded11MDX

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
88 Posts
Well today I got the new starter but my aching back didn't feel like changing it out so I decided to have the battery checked one last time at O'reilly's where I originally bought the battery. They already had checked the battery last week and the load tester said that the battery and alternator was good but my starter had thrown some faults. Today they tested it again and it was just as I had hoped, "Battery no good". Threw in the new battery this morning and the no start problem went away as well as the windows one touch roll down worked again. Now I gotta return the starter but that's better than busting my back leaning over the engine to swap it out.

One symptom I failed to mentioned was that the driver's window one touch roll down did not work when I started having the no start or hard problems.
Knock on wood something else doesn't need changing. Thanks for all the input guys!!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Well today I got the new starter but my aching back didn't feel like changing it out so I decided to have the battery checked one last time at O'reilly's where I originally bought the battery. They already had checked the battery last week and the load tester said that the battery and alternator was good but my starter had thrown some faults. Today they tested it again and it was just as I had hoped, "Battery no good". Threw in the new battery this morning and the no start problem went away as well as the windows one touch roll down worked again. Now I gotta return the starter but that's better than busting my back leaning over the engine to swap it out.

One symptom I failed to mentioned was that the driver's window one touch roll down did not work when I started having the no start or hard problems.
Knock on wood something else doesn't need changing. Thanks for all the input guys!!
I think issues is that you were messing with vtec engagement point.;)

Reactions: Modded11MDX
1 - 11 of 11 Posts