Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to replacing the mix motor on my '04 with a remanufactured unit off of eBay to successfully address the rattle/clicking sound.

After doing so, I started paying closer attention to the climate control system and noticing what appears to be new issues. First, the temperature seems off. For example, it seems to be blowing warmer air than expected and I have to set the temperatures in the mid 60s to get cold/cool air. For example, low 70s seem to blow warm/hot air. Nonetheless, it ultimately will get cold or hot when I set the temperature to their respective extremes.

This other issue, may or may not have already been present, but the rear is drastically colder/cooler than the front (when the rear is not manually controlled).

When I replaced the mix motor, I didn't index anything so I don't know if I needed to "align" anything when reinstalling. Did I install the mix motor incorrectly? Is there any chance that there is an issue with the remanufactured mix motor?

If someone can help shed some light on either issue, it would greatly be appreciated!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I finally got around to replacing the mix motor on my '04 with a remanufactured unit off of eBay to successfully address the rattle/clicking sound.

After doing so, I started paying closer attention to the climate control system and noticing what appears to be new issues. First, the temperature seems off. For example, it seems to be blowing warmer air than expected and I have to set the temperatures in the mid 60s to get cold/cool air. For example, low 70s seem to blow warm/hot air. Nonetheless, it ultimately will get cold or hot when I set the temperature to their respective extremes.

This other issue, may or may not have already been present, but the rear is drastically colder/cooler than the front (when the rear is not manually controlled).

When I replaced the mix motor, I didn't index anything so I don't know if I needed to "align" anything when reinstalling. Did I install the mix motor incorrectly? Is there any chance that there is an issue with the remanufactured mix motor?

If someone can help shed some light on either issue, it would greatly be appreciated!
Assuming your taking about the passenger side mix motor that's on the bottom of the dash and close to the center console. If so, there should have been two items to index and align - a metal pin on the mix motor that slides into a white plastic groove and the metal arm itself that connects to linkage behind the center console. Assuming those were done, you should be all set. If you believe your new remanufactured mix motor isn't working you could always disconnect it from the linkage while it's plugged in and adjust the hvac controls and see if the mix motor arm moves.

Have you performed the HVAC diagnostic routine to see if any codes are present?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Assuming your taking about the passenger side mix motor that's on the bottom of the dash and close to the center console. If so, there should have been two items to index and align - a metal pin on the mix motor that slides into a white plastic groove and the metal arm itself that connects to linkage behind the center console. Assuming those were done, you should be all set. If you believe your new remanufactured mix motor isn't working you could always disconnect it from the linkage while it's plugged in and adjust the hvac controls and see if the mix motor arm moves.

Have you performed the HVAC diagnostic routine to see if any codes are present?

Yes, that's the mix motor I'm referring to. When I installed the remanufactured unit, I simply made sure that the pin was in the groove and that the metal arm was connected. I didn't do anything else in terms of indexing or alignment. During the installation, I recall playing with the HVAC controls and seeing the mix motor arm move accordingly. I'm probably going to install my old mix motor. I simply don't recall ever having issues setting the temperature with the original unit, just the occasional clicking or rattle noise.

What are the HVAC diagnostic routines that you mention? I do have a code reader but have not see any CELs for whatever that's worth.

Thanks for the input! I'm not sure why I didn't see your reply until today.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, that's the mix motor I'm referring to. When I installed the remanufactured unit, I simply made sure that the pin was in the groove and that the metal arm was connected. I didn't do anything else in terms of indexing or alignment. During the installation, I recall playing with the HVAC controls and seeing the mix motor arm move accordingly. I'm probably going to install my old mix motor. I simply don't recall ever having issues setting the temperature with the original unit, just the occasional clicking or rattle noise.

What are the HVAC diagnostic routines that you mention? I do have a code reader but have not see any CELs for whatever that's worth.

Thanks for the input! I'm not sure why I didn't see your reply until today.
Hey There -

So on the HVAC diagnostics an OBD tool won't help so there wouldn't be a code present there unfortunately. You have to use the Auto and Off buttons (held at the same time) and determine what segment appears in the small climate control LED display.

Here's some more specifics:

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-fir...-climate-control-system-diagnostic-codes.html

There's also another diagnostic routine that you can initiate using that HVAC control but don't recall it off hand, its in the service manual though.

Based on your reply it sounds like you reinstalled the remanufactured mix motor correctly - so if the diagnostics check out either there's a low charge, HVAC fan by radiator not working, dirty coil in front of radiator, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for shedding light on the HVAC diagnostics. I don't know if I was doing it incorrectly or perhaps there was nothing wrong, but I didn't see any "codes" or anything indicating anything was wrong (or right either). As a result, I decided to reinstall the old mix motor. Before doing so however, I opened it up and expected to see a broken tooth on a gear, but did not see anything so I went ahead and lubed up all of the gears.

As of now, I have yet to hear any clicking noise from the old mix motor and more importantly, the temperature and climate control in general is working to expectations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts