Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Waze will run on Iphone but not on carplay. BTW google maps will not run on Carplay either.

I have seen a kinda BS workaround that lets Waze run in background while using carplay. SO you get waze voice commands while using other carplay apps. You can't get the display.

The NEX series head units are Both CarPlay and Android Auto compatible. So android users can use Waze on an NEX series unit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What’s out there for say $399 that’s got a good screen with cd and android auto and CarPlay that don’t force you to buy map or traffic and has a good nav built in with good stereo stuff? Sorry for run on sentences kinda.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
What’s out there for say $399 that’s got a good screen with cd and android auto and CarPlay that don’t force you to buy map or traffic and has a good nav built in with good stereo stuff? Sorry for run on sentences kinda.
doesn't exist. The only navi units in that price range are absolute crap.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You think all for $399 or less are bad? Why? The Sony one doesn’t seem bad but it’s got no cd.
So which ones do people suggest I get that’s a current model?
And thank you all so much.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the 2004 MDX Touring. It has Bose and Navigation. Crutchfield says nothing fits.

I’m going to get something with android auto and CarPlay. Sadly Crutchfield only has kenwood and pioneer under $1k. Don’t want to spend so much :(
Sony XAV-XA100 has both and its roughly $400. It fit in my 2006 mdx touring, so it should also fit in 2004. The reason i like Crutchfeild is for all custom wiring and dashboard trim. Makes it a plug and play proposition.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You think all for $399 or less are bad? Why? The Sony one doesn’t seem bad but it’s got no cd.
So which ones do people suggest I get that’s a current model?
And thank you all so much.
This Sony unit comes with a CD/DVD player, its a XAV-XA200 instead of XA100. Other than that, theyre identical. The Sony unit works great

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The Sony XAV-XA100 does not have built-in navigation, and therefore does not meet the criteria that you specified.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Right, it has navigation via apple carplay / android auto. Both systems are mostly superior to anything with built navigation unless you often travel in areas with no cell reception. You wont find a system with built in navigation, carplay, android auto and cd player - in this price range, nor is it worth the price tag, when you do find one. Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Right, it has navigation via apple carplay / android auto. Both systems are mostly superior to anything with built navigation unless you often travel in areas with no cell reception. You wont find a system with built in navigation, carplay, android auto and cd player - in this price range, nor is it worth the price tag, when you do find one. Just my $.02
So basically what I said... Doesn't exist. lol :wink:

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Thanks.
So what should I get then? More then $400 is fine.
If you MUST have built-in nav and CD player, then I'd go with Kenwood Excelon DNX893S or Pioneer AVIC-7201NEX. These are $650-900 units, however.

But honestly I'd skip the built-in nav. As long as you have cellular data available when you START your route, the phone will cache data and should be able to handle spotty service en-route just fine.

I'd also not care about the CD player. If the unit had one, fine, but I wouldn't exclude a unit that didn't. If you've got bluetooth audio + carplay then you're going to use that for all your music, anyway. The CD player is superfluous. They add complexity and cost with little return benefit.

If you remove those requirements then you have a lot more choices closer to your $400 budget.

Pioneer AVH-2330NEX
Pioneer MVH-2300NEX
Kenwood Excelon DDX6904S
Alpine iLX-207

As a general rule I stay away from Sony. They used to be great (back in the 80's and early 90's). But once they came out with their Xplod line, they went to crap QUICK. I still don't trust them -- especially when there are better options out for similar money. As a side note, I laugh when I see Ford trying to sell Sony as their "premium" stereo brand. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
^^^^^^
Thank you very much.

I don’t need cd. This makes sense so I don’t have to carry them with me. But then how do I get cd quality sound? Where would I store all my music? I don’t want to use phone space as I don’t have enough for uncompressed music.

I don’t use cell data so I want nav built in. I want to have the option of that or using my iPhone or Android phone.

I’m disabled so I have a free gov cell plan that does have data but I don’t want to use it if I don’t have to. Then I have comcast mobile and get service free if I don’t use data. All I pay for is the phone. So those are reasons I want nav built in. Here’s another.

When I see images online of built in nav they have color road signs like if you look out your window. There’s lane guidance with signs. Shows speed and so forth. I’ve never seen these types of features in Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze. I definitely have not seen then looking the same. So I’m assuming the mobile apps are more basic. But anyway I’d like nav built in.

Will the system be able to power all speakers or do I need an amp for extra channels?

Didn’t someone mention with Kenwood you must pay for maps? How does that work? Wouldn’t the one that you get when you buy the unit be enough? I will only drive locally.

What are current models? I don’t want something outdated and not using current hardware and technology.

Are there any units that will give me my trip meter and stuff that is in the stock unit? With an accessory or something?

Thank you. And I’m sorry for so many questions. I don’t know anything about this stuff.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I don’t need cd. This makes sense so I don’t have to carry them with me. But then how do I get cd quality sound? Where would I store all my music? I don’t want to use phone space as I don’t have enough for uncompressed music.
That's your choice. MOST people find bluetooth audio (even with lossy mp3s) sounds "good enough". If you want uncompressed then you can put FLAC/ALAC on your phone -- but that does take up space. If you want a CD player, then get a unit with one.

I don’t use cell data so I want nav built in. I want to have the option of that or using my iPhone or Android phone.
This seems contradictory, to me. If you don't want to use cell data, then why care about Android Auto or Apple CarPlay? Those interfaces are really designed to leverage cellular data.

When I see images online of built in nav they have color road signs like if you look out your window. There’s lane guidance with signs. Shows speed and so forth. I’ve never seen these types of features in Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze. I definitely have not seen then looking the same. So I’m assuming the mobile apps are more basic. But anyway I’d like nav built in.
Apple Maps DOES have the lane guidance with signs. It is superior to any built-in navigation, imo. But you need to buy what you want... You're just going to have to spend more than the $400 you originally specified.

Will the system be able to power all speakers or do I need an amp for extra channels?
Depends on what unit you get. Many come with 4 channel amps. Although if you have BOSE in your MDX you'll probably retain the factory amp.

Didn’t someone mention with Kenwood you must pay for maps? How does that work? Wouldn’t the one that you get when you buy the unit be enough? I will only drive locally.
All of the "built-in" navigation units come with maps. You only pay if you want to "update" them.

What are current models? I don’t want something outdated and not using current hardware and technology.
Everything I quoted was "current". Go to Crutchfield.com or even call them if you want to talk to a pro for recommendations or confirm anything.

Are there any units that will give me my trip meter and stuff that is in the stock unit? With an accessory or something?
They exist -- for even more money.

I'm getting a very conflicted vibe from you. You want EVERYTHING but want to pay for only the BARE BONES. You need to figure out what you're willing to spend and we can recommend the best unit within that budget.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Here's a screenshot of Apple CarPlay showing both lane guidance and street signs active.

·
Registered
51 Posts
FWIW, The differences between the Pioneer AVH 1330NEX and AVH 2330 NEX are basically:

The 2330 has a motorized screen that opens to insert a CD/DVD. The 1330 has the slot on the face at the top

The 2330 has buttons at the bottom. The 1330 has the button son the left side

The 2330 has a slightly larger screen.

The 1330 is $226 on Amazon $349 on Crutchfield
The 2330 is $399 on Amazon or Crutchfield.

Crutchfield throws in About $20 -$30 worth of install gear.

Either way you will pay extra for a steering wheel integration adapter and a Bose adapter if needed.

Now if you need Crutchfield to Solder up your adapter harness then that might be a decider on source. personally I solder my own. But I spent over 20 years in avionics maintenance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
As a general rule I stay away from Sony. They used to be great (back in the 80's and early 90's). But once they came out with their Xplod line, they went to crap QUICK. I still don't trust them -- especially when there are better options out for similar money. As a side note, I laugh when I see Ford trying to sell Sony as their "premium" stereo brand. Ridiculous.
Thats obviously just your opinion. Ive had Kenwoods, Pioneers and Sony head units in my cars along with some very expensive speakers and amps that I installed myself, and I can assure you that Sony is no worse than Pioneer or Kenwood. XAV-XA100 is a pretty good unit that doesnt look like a plastic toy and fits cars interior, has excellent dynamic EQ and sound, rear camera hookup and single dim form in the back that makes it easy to fit all the wiring etc etc. Keep that in mind.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Thats obviously just your opinion.
And an extremely common opinion within the car audio world. Sony went from a quality brand to a complete joke in the late 90's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks all. I went and got this.
Kenwood Excelon DNX994S

I’m at my parents waiting to be called when install is done. I got adapter to keep my steering wheel audio controls but there’s no voice button??? Asked them to look into the sub area vibrating. When I put my head near it there’s vocals and more then just bass. Is that normal? I’ve read it’s bass only according to Crutchfield.

I like the screen quality a lot. It’s just real small especially being on the bottom where the CD player is. 7” seems too small. It’s not too small after using it a bit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well. The glove box area now gurgles when the car is idling. Never had any sound before. It sounds weird in that area. Crackling or something.

Also they said I need a mast. That’s an antenna I guess. How do I get one? How could the car not have an antenna? They said that’s why my radio reception isn’t very good. Specially for AM.

I need to clean the screen. Kinda sticky in a couple spots.

It has a neat trip meter. It shows top speed. Avg speed. Driving time. Stopped time. Total time. Trip meter a and b. It has climate control but not working since there’s no connection or something. They said this is not possible. There are no adapters or accessories to do this. But someone here said this is possible. How?

I don’t know where the mic is and there’s no voice button on my steering wheel. Just vol button and a mode button I think and one other.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts