Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I just got a White 2004 MDX Touring.
I was wondering if I can replace the navigation system and CD player? Crutchfield says not recommended because you have climate controls in the touch screen. Is there something I can do? Can I just then get a nav system to replace the bottom CD player under it? I would think yes being they’re separate. Then I would just use the top screen for climate control.

Is there anything I can do? I want a nice new system with android auto and CarPlay. Also the resolution is bad on the stock system.

Thank you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the stock nav unit will be left alone and still the same? And I can put in a new navsystem below it?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
So the stock nav unit will be left alone and still the same? And I can put in a new navsystem below it?
Yep. Exactly. Crutchfield is a good place to shop and they'll throw in the dash trim pieces and wiring harness, gratis, if you buy the head unit through them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Since the nav system is supposed to provide audio through the existing audio system, how is this connected?

OP, Crutchfield does usually provide the bezel and Honda wiring pigtail, you will need to purchase the steering wheel interface adapter, or loose that capability, and if you have Bose you will need a unit with appropriate line outs or use a Line Output Converter. These will be at an additional cost.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grr. Confusing. Lol.
I do have Bose.
Back vibrates with bass. How to fix? I saw this mentioned elsewhere here but forget where. I notice vibration even at not too loud vol.
what kind of audio system do I have? Specs? Speakers? Size? Watts? Freq? Etc?
Sorry. I just am currious so I know the capabilities of the audio system to not drive them too loud and hard.
When looking at Crutchfield they list only 10” subs for the back. Does that mean the one there now is 10”? Everything I think is stock in my suv.

What I hope to do someday is get a nice resolution touch screen nav stereo with CarPlay and Android Auto. I’d like to put it where the stock screen is and lower the stock screen below where the stock CD player is. Can I? I want the nicer screen more eye level. The only thing I’d use the stock screen for is climate and the trip meter mpg screen and everything but the nav.

For speakers I’d want a sub that went to 20hz and don’t have to be the best. Would I get two? One for each side in the back? Then I’d want something for the doors. I don’t listen loud loud. So an amp don’t have to be very powerful.

Sorry if I went off topic. To me I stayed on topic. But maybe someone else not think so.

I’m not going to buy right now but do need to start researching and getting ideas ready.

I have to have someone install it for me so was probably going to go to car toys. Research on Crutchfield and buy from cartoys. Or something. I’m not sure.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The bass buzz could be body-related, or could be a bad subwoofer driver (aka "speaker"). I'd suggest turning up the thump, then crawling in the back to see if you can stop the buzz by pushing on the trim panels in the area - if it does stop, just figure out what's loose and fix it. Otherwise, it's probably just a bad drive. The voice coils in the drivers get melted and lumpy, and drag as they move up and down around the magnet structure. Nothing to do but replace it if that's happened.

You could probably get a better driver to replace the (not too impressive) Bose sub driver, but you're going to want to make sure there's room to mount it if the magnet and/or frame is bigger. You can no doubt find a sub driver that's more efficient (louder) than the original, and do an upgrade on the cheap.

Beyond that, you need to have a separate enclosure in the back to house a couple large drivers. Personally, I'd hate to give up the room (or aesthetics) to do that, as much as I like nice sound, but that's the only way you're going to get really, really deep bass (which requires a lot more air volume around the subwoofer).

There's plenty of room to improve the door-mounted drivers as well, which is the cheapest and easiest way to get better sound. I upgraded my front door drivers in my non-Bose system with some pretty economical speakers that were still MUCH better than the (cheap) originals. They get the job done if you're not interested in disco volume.

None of the installation is difficult, so you might consider trying it yourself. Pulling the trim / door panels off is the most complicated bit, and you might have to splice wires if the connectors in the car don't match up with the new drivers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I replaced the speakers in our 04 Accord, I found that the factory speakers were designed for a Honda connector. I found some adapters (Metra brand maybe?) that plugged into the factory harness and had aftermarket standard connectors. Thus no splicing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ll have car toys install. I’m not good at this sort of thing without someone showing me while I’m there and then I maybe could if I had to do stuff again someday.

I’m going to research the ones at Crutchfield.

Can I swap the units where they are? Put the new nav system top and stock screen below? I don’t need climate control at the top. I’d rather the new system be there closer to eye level.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Can I swap the units where they are? Put the new nav system top and stock screen below? I don’t need climate control at the top. I’d rather the new system be there closer to eye level.
I'm not aware of any off-the-shelf kit to do that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you all very much.
I’ve looked at Crutchfield and don’t have any idea which unit I’d want that has Android Auto and CarPlay.
Do those units require the phone for gps? I would hope not. I’d hope the unit would have its own good easy good looking high res UI for the gps and stereo settings etc.
Are there units that can give me the same info as the stock screen? The climate control and trip meter stuff?

Does anyone have any suggestions what to get? I haven’t read every unit info yet. There’s so many.
Thank you all.

Edit.
I narrowed the search on Crutchfield to android auto and CarPlay. This gave 12 units I think. Man they’re expensive. And Crutchfield has discontinued units. I prefer a current unit but don’t know how much that matters. And it seems all they have is Kenwood and a Pioneer. Hmm. Don’t know anything but the Kenwoods seem nice. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If you're using CarPlay or Android Auto then they definitely rely on the phone for GPS and all processing power. The head unit is just a "dumb screen" at that point... Basically a monitor and touch sensor... The phone does all the heavy lifting.

If you wan't to use navigation without relying on the phone then you need a unit with a more conventional built-in navigation.

There are lots of options that include CarPlay and traditional navigation. The Pioneer AVIC-5201NEX is one example. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_1305201NEX/Pioneer-AVIC-5201NEX.html?avf=Y

If you go to crutchfield.com you can "find what fits your vehicle".

·
Registered
51 Posts
I went with the Pioneer 1300 NEX. It provides HD radio and CD/DVD capability. Other than that it is a phone repeater.

I've purchased 2 Kenwood head units with built in Garmin Maps. But don't like that you have to buy map updates. The embedded systems don't fall under the free updates for life program that some of Garmin's stand alone units have.

Using the pone app gets you constant updates. IMO the new Apple maps is as good if not better than anything Garmin has built.

Only reason I could see for an embedded solution would be driving in areas with no or poor cell service

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Or using data. I’ve read gps in the unit is much better then from the phone.
Hmm. More confusing now.
I’d like to use Waze. Is that possible to have it’s UI etc on the screen?
I’d like everything built in with the option of using CarPlay and android auto. I like the pictures online showing nice nav ui with the lanes and speed and all that. Never see that in google maps or Apple maps.
This is confusing. Sigh.
I just want to get the right one.

Crutchfield says they don’t recommend any unit for the mdx because you lose climate control etc. they must have forgot about the cd unit underneath. So doing a what fits my car shows nothing. Nothing fits. Lol.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Crutchfield says they don’t recommend any unit for the mdx because you lose climate control etc. they must have forgot about the cd unit underneath. So doing a what fits my car shows nothing. Nothing fits. Lol.
What are you entering into Crutchfield? When I put in a 2004 MDX w/Bose w/o Nav it shows me 176 head units that fit! They even have pictures of an MDX installation.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Or using data. I’ve read gps in the unit is much better then from the phone.
Hmm. More confusing now.
I’d like to use Waze. Is that possible to have it’s UI etc on the screen?
I’d like everything built in with the option of using CarPlay and android auto. I like the pictures online showing nice nav ui with the lanes and speed and all that. Never see that in google maps or Apple maps.
This is confusing. Sigh.
I just want to get the right one.
My sister has a 2018 Honda CR-V with Apple Carplay. It definitely shows the lanes/speeds and is really a NICE system.

Waze does not work with Carplay, however. You'd need an Android phone as Waze only works with Android Auto.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the 2004 MDX Touring. It has Bose and Navigation. Crutchfield says nothing fits.

I’m going to get something with android auto and CarPlay. Sadly Crutchfield only has kenwood and pioneer under $1k. Don’t want to spend so much :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was always disappointed with Apple Maps until the new version. With the addition of the "lane assist" feature with iOS 11 and speed limit signs, I gave up google maps.

I've never used waze but everything I read on the NEX series says it works. Search youtube for "pioneer NEX waze" and you'll find lots of info.

As far as data usage, as of today I've use 19 Mb's of data with apple maps, and can't remember the last time I reset my data counters.

Since I have a non-nav, non-bose system the swap is a bit easier.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’ve heard Waze is Android Auto only. Also I’ve read Waze is the best. But I have no idea.
Anyway. I don’t know what to get. Do any units exist that Crutchfield doesn’t have? They only have Kenwood and a couple Pioneer. I’d like more options. Ugh. Guess I have to talk to cartoys.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts