Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a great condition 2006 mdx it was classless in every way and the other day I had a friend spill seafood (cooked crab and juices from said crab) in the second row. I have had it professionally detailed twice already as well as taken the second row of seat out to clean properly under them and I can’t get the smell of crab out I was wondering if anyone knows where I could order the entire carpet in the vehicle and replace it. I already have half of the seats in the vehicle out and can’t get rid of the smell so I might as well just replace the carpet in it.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
There are chemical smell removers that might help... not sure which ones will work on your (nasty!) odors, but I suspect they'd help.

FWIW, when I bought my Jeep in 2000, it had belonged to a smoker for 4 years and 121,000 miles. I believe she probably never drove the thing without a cigarette dangling from her lips. We just Fabreezed the devil out of all the soft surfaces, and parked it at night (in our garage) with a large box fan blowing air through the window (and out another one, of course). It took a couple weeks to get it to the point where you didn't feel like you were sitting in an ash tray, but it was worth the effort. I still own the vehicle today (it's behind the photo of my latest road trip car I just posed on another thread).

·
Registered
558 Posts
Besides the stealer, and depending on if it’s black or dark gray, and not worn out, maybe a more cleanable one from a junkyard? (If it’s beige, cleaning probably won’t work.). That’s what I did for my TL when the ps gear leaked ps fluid into the cab and totaled the front half carpet. I had to change the padding underneath and got that from the same wreck. Your buddy’s crab juice probably soaked into the padding and you’ll need to fix that.

I shampoo’d and scrubbed the wrecker carpet with car carpet cleaner a few times and hosed it down after each shampoo and it came out fine. I should note the wrecker carpet was probably 7 or 8 years old at the time. You’re looking at 14 yrs.

Another option is you can probably get close enough color matching carpet from a car upholstery matls shop. If it’s not worth a custom fit, you can probably get a decent fit since the middle carpet is pretty flat. Just cut/join the rug far enough under the seats that you can’t see the seam. (It might already be that way.). Then you won’t have to redo the entire cab.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered an ozone generator and just finished letting it run now I’m at airing it out for about an hour or two and I can already smell the difference. I had taken the entire carpet out and pressure washed it but the smell was still deep in the fibers and the seats so hopefully this is the final thing I have to do otherwise I’ll probably cut my losses and sell it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
New carpet will run you about $300, try the secret smell destroyer concoction dawn ultra platinum, rubbing alcohol, and liquid oxiclean. Mix about 6 ounces of each with hot water in a spray bottle, spray the hell out of your carpet, let it sit for 20 minutes or so then use a carpet extractor. Your carpet will look and smell like new

1 - 6 of 6 Posts