Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just removed and replaced a broken wheel stud on Acura MDX, front, without removing the ball-bearing hub. Here is how I did it.

1. Remove the wheel.
2. Remove the brake line support (one bolt).
3. Remove the two bolts holding the brake caliper. Secure to prevent damage to brake line.
4. Remove the two small bolts holding the brake disk to the hub. This was a difficult one. I used plenty of WD40 and a punch and a hammer. Have new ones handy.
5. Remove the brake disk. Had to tap on it a little.
6. Observe condition. Photo 1. Not enough room to remove old stud (shorter).
7. Hammer the stud towards the hub to the maximum. Cut with a grinder the head of it. Hammer it more. Cut again. Remove all bits.
8. Shave part of the new stud (Photo 2).
9. Use a round file to make room for the new stud. Cut with the grinder a piece of the mud protection (photo 3).
10. Lubricate area.
11. Hammer new stud in. The thread is going to be affected a bit (photo 4); After it slides in, hammer it until it gets fixed in the whole, but don’t force it too much
12. Rectify the thread with a cutting device M12, 1.5 mm step (photo 5)
13. Pull in the stud by using a stack of washers and a nutlug. Make sure you don’t destroy the nut lug (photo 6). Use an open nut if available.
14. Installed everything back in reverse order using new bolts on the face plate of the brake disk (photo 7).
Remember: This is rather a quick fix which has its deficiencies. Do everything on your risk, as I don’t take any responsibility if you follow above steps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Nice job!

It's a shame Acura didn't notch the hub face behind the studs enough to allow the studs to be installed.

good luck

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Thanks for this OP. I had to fix one on the 03. It's a pain but doable. It's a shame the wheel hub doesn't remove as easily as the 2nd gens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts