Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the dealer confirm what is causing the P0420 code on my wife's 07 MDX. It is the bank 1 converter. Before I pay the dealer $1,100 I am going to attempt it myself. I'm going to buy the part from oemacuraparts but couldn't find any how tos on how to change it. You all know where I can find one for the MDX or a similar vehicle?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
RV6 has high flow Cats for 07-09 MDX for about $600 a pair: 2nd Gen (07-09)

If you set on spending $1100, the Cats+tune from RV6 might even get you some extra HP and mpgs (might have to add the J-pipe to take full advantage of set-up).

Reactions: LostCreekSooner

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Did the light *just* come on? If you live in a climate that's experiencing a weather change, I usually recommend resetting the light after a fresh fill up of fuel, before spending the money.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
$1100 is not bad, the STEALERSHIP near me wants to charge me $1200 to make this light disappear (while replacing the 'bank 1 catalytic converter') I looked at the advisor with the Gary Coleman a.k.a. Different Strokes Arnold look ('whatchu-talk'n 'bout Willis?!') and felt like saying 'replace the bank 1 who?!'

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the light *just* come on? If you live in a climate that's experiencing a weather change, I usually recommend resetting the light after a fresh fill up of fuel, before spending the money.
It is a little more sporadic if there is a change in temperature or humidity. I would say though that it has been on for about 95% of the year.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Thanks! Is a tune required if all I get is the bank 1 cat?
The tune, cats and j-pipe are all parts you can mix and match. It might come out cheaper with RV6 cats and local mechanic+HP boost (without tune).

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
So my 2009 MDX (daily rider SUV) has close to 90K miles on it, and after having incurred a 'check transmission' light a few months back, I reported this to the stealership during my most recent service visit (I did NOT see any P0420 error code).

This is when the service advisor informed me that the mechanic recommended that I have my bank 1 catalytic converter replaced- total price $1200 includes parts and labor.

Is it normal for the bank 1 catalytic converter to get replaced on a 2nd Gen. MDX at about 90K miles? Or am I getting served on all 4's by the stealership?

Assuming the cost is not an issue, if I purchase all of the available parts listed here: 2nd Gen (07-09)
(and then have a local mechanic, who regularly works on 2nd gen MDX's) install everything (along with the 'tune')....how much horse power GAIN can I expect to achieve on my 2nd Gen. 2009 MDX after having dished out this (i'm guessing) $2K or more?

And is there any risk(s) that I'd be taking by having these AFTERMARKET parts installed? In other words, is there a chance that by using these parts, that more serious mechanical problems can result down the road (in contrast to if I'd has just gone with the stealership's OEM parts and labor)?

·
Registered
274 Posts
So my 2009 MDX (daily rider SUV) has close to 90K miles on it, and after having incurred a 'check transmission' light a few months back, I reported this to the stealership during my most recent service visit (I did NOT see any P0420 error code).

This is when the service advisor informed me that the mechanic recommended that I have my bank 1 catalytic converter replaced- total price $1200 includes parts and labor.

Is it normal for the bank 1 catalytic converter to get replaced on a 2nd Gen. MDX at about 90K miles? Or am I getting served on all 4's by the stealership?

Assuming the cost is not an issue, if I purchase all of the available parts listed here: 2nd Gen (07-09)
(and then have a local mechanic, who regularly works on 2nd gen MDX's) install everything (along with the 'tune')....how much horse power GAIN can I expect to achieve on my 2nd Gen. 2009 MDX after having dished out this (i'm guessing) $2K or more?

And is there any risk(s) that I'd be taking by having these AFTERMARKET parts installed? In other words, is there a chance that by using these parts, that more serious mechanical problems can result down the road (in contrast to if I'd has just gone with the stealership's OEM parts and labor)?
Priscillababy.. Quit messing around and get the RV6 HFPC and Jpipe along with the KTune already! (This is coming from a guy who has had the HFPC sitting in my garage for 6 months lol)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Priscillababy.. Quit messing around and get the RV6 HFPC and Jpipe along with the KTune already! (This is coming from a guy who has had the HFPC sitting in my garage for 6 months lol)
that's what I'm trying to avoid (having these newly purchased parts laying around in the garage collecting dust...not installed) and/or dropping $2K on parts and labor only to find out that my daily rider MDX goes 'Vroom-Vroom' a tad bit louder than before with no noticeable HP gains :p

If the overall horsepower gains are significant (at least 20-30 HP or more) then maybe...maybe these aftermarket parts are worth it :confused:

·
Registered
274 Posts
that's what I'm trying to avoid (having these newly purchased parts laying around in the garage collecting dust...not installed) and/or dropping $2K on parts and labor only to find out that my daily rider MDX goes 'Vroom-Vroom' a tad bit louder than before with no noticeable HP gains :p

If the overall horsepower gains are significant (at least 20-30 HP or more) then maybe...maybe these aftermarket parts are worth it :confused:
I know what you mean. Truth be told I am looking to install the HPFC's by the end of this month along with the KTUNE and if the Jpipe and CAI that i have already installed is an indication of what to expect you should not be disappointed...

Sometimes a part installed cannot just be measured by the peak HP gain but rather what is does in terms of driveability. I know for a fact that the Jpipe and CAI have eliminated flat spots and surges associated when cruising on the highway around 80mph in 5th gear around 3000rpms..

This, along with the sound and willingness of the engine to rev, made it worth the cost in my books..

If only you lived in NYC I would tell you to drive my MDX..

I have already decided that I am keeping the MDX for the long haul because of this, which is a stretch for me as I am not one to keep a car longer than 4-5 years.. My wife's 2010 ML63 is being swapped out for a New Macan, my 2011 M3 is being traded for a Cayman GTS, I am getting rid of my 2013 Fiat Abarth for an air cooled Porsche but the MDX is staying right here!!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I know what you mean. Truth be told I am looking to install the HPFC's by the end of this month along with the KTUNE and if the Jpipe and CAI that i have already installed is an indication of what to expect you should not be disappointed...
please keep us all posted on the progress/results on this once they become available :29:

so jealous of your ZDX wheels...the PERFECT wheels for the 2nd gen MDX (your version ZDX 19' wheels, not those 20' inch clunker, faux chrome ZDX stocks- those look heavy and don't help appearance-wise...if I could go back in a time machine 5 years ago, i would have bought 19 inch ZDX stock wheels brand new from the stealership and thrown them on my 2nd gen MDX...unforunately nowadays, you can only get this wheel in 'reconditioned' form from a variety of shady (no pun intended), wheel re-conditioners across the internet- who are only out on their grind and hustle (not caring if the wheel's they're 'reconditioning' are truly safe and free from defects....okay I'm done venting, that was my morning PMS rant...word

·
Registered
274 Posts
please keep us all posted on the progress/results on this once they become available :29:

so jealous of your ZDX wheels...the PERFECT wheels for the 2nd gen MDX (your version ZDX 19' wheels, not those 20' inch clunker, faux chrome ZDX stocks- those look heavy and don't help appearance-wise...if I could go back in a time machine 5 years ago, i would have bought 19 inch ZDX stock wheels brand new from the stealership and thrown them on my 2nd gen MDX...unforunately nowadays, you can only get this wheel in 'reconditioned' form from a variety of shady (no pun intended), wheel re-conditioners across the internet- who are only out on their grind and hustle (not caring if the wheel's they're 'reconditioning' are truly safe and free from defects....okay I'm done venting, that was my morning PMS rant...word
No worries I will definitely post up my results as soon as I have completed the install.

Priscilla, don't forget about the stock MDX Advance Package wheels. IMHO those wheels are just as nice and I often contemplate on picking up a set just to switch back and forth.

Check your PM's BTW. Just sent you something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts