Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like our second 2002 transmission is failing. I saw a post somewhere that it is better to go to the newer version, where the 2002 issues were fixed, and that the 2006 Accord V6 (not 4) transmission is the one to get.

The problem is that I can't find that post again, and I can't confirm that it is a bolt in swap. Does anyone have more details on this possible option? I'll keep looking in the meantime.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FWIW, I called the dealer and the local independent about this. The dealer said they are not a straight bolt up. The independent said that we would always get codes thrown, that it might be illegal from a smog perspective, and that they wouldn't do it.

Now as a longtime wrench - keeping 60's cars going for fun - I'm not afraid to do anything like this. And I suspect their answers are probably the lazy way out. But, at this point, I'm not going to do it myself.

The tough part will be what to do. The dealer wants only $3,500 and the independent wants $4,600. The independent insists he uses the best rebuilder, who does only Honda/Acura transmissions, and it has all the upgraded internals. So I'm actually suspecting that the dealer has their own local supplier and they are not as good.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The J35 was used in MDX not J32 so the following info may not work. You might have luck with earlier Honda Pilot and Odyssey models. Beware that 2003-2006 MDX use different trans than 01-02.

So you can do the swap here is a bunch of info. The guide is on page one, relvant info scattered so plenty to read:

Here's some website recommended in that thread:

The MDX and TL use the same engine as far as I'm aware so it should be pretty much the same.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, FWIW, we decided to have the shop replace the transmission. The independent shop (Honda only) uses a place that rebuilds only Honda/Acura transmissions, and gives a 3 year warranty. The dealer uses a shop that does all sorts of transmissions, and gives only a 2 year warranty. We opted for the independent shop. Not cheap. But we think it will be worth it.

The independent shop was not willing to do the TL swap. They said there are different shift points and programming and there could be issues. They also insisted that notwithstanding the issues some of the early transmissions had, this rebuild shop puts in the upgraded parts that eliminate those issues.

Well, we'll see what other long term issues we'll report down the road. We're shooting for the 1,000,000 Volvo club!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Ask if this is the place they use:

Come very recommended

1 - 5 of 5 Posts