Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me the process to remove the factory roof rail? I see that when mine was installed, they did not properly seat the rubber seal so it is crimped.

From the looks of it, it is secured by one screw. Do you just slide the rail forward to unclip it?

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The chrome part is a piece of plastic that snaps onto the bolted-on base. I recall at the time of putting the chrome cap on that it'd be very difficult to impossible to remove the cap without destroying it. You'd need to remove the cap to get to the bolts that hold the base on.

Given this, I would skip trying to fix this issue and just live with it unless you're willing and able to buy new chrome caps and I don't know if they're available separately.

Alternatively, you could say this is a defect in the build (assuming you bought it with the rack already on) and have Acura fix it under warranty but you may need to talk them into it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The chrome part is a piece of plastic that snaps onto the bolted-on base. I recall at the time of putting the chrome cap on that it'd be very difficult to impossible to remove the cap without destroying it. You'd need to remove the cap to get to the bolts that hold the base on.

Given this, I would skip trying to fix this issue and just live with it unless you're willing and able to buy new chrome caps and I don't know if they're available separately.

Alternatively, you could say this is a defect in the build (assuming you bought it with the rack already on) and have Acura fix it under warranty but you may need to talk them into it.
Thanks MDXSTANG!! Yes, my vehicle came with roof rails. Based on what you said, I will make a warranty claim.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I'm glad you got it easily fixed and hopefully at no cost. I wonder how hard it was to pop the chrome cap off - they looked to me like they'd be tough to pull back off.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm glad you got it easily fixed and hopefully at no cost. I wonder how hard it was to pop the chrome cap off - they looked to me like they'd be tough to pull back off.
He had a couple of trim removal tools. Popped off easy peasy.

The gasket was back ordered so I asked them to take a gasket/seal out of a new box which they happily did. Awesome service. And I just drove in with no appointment at the end of the day and they fixed it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts