Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from a 1100 trip. I just noticed that there is a significant road tar buildup on one of the front mud flaps. Tried cleaning with some road tar cleaner I have, but because it is so thick, not much came off.

Anyone have any suggestions how to remove this tar? I am considering trying to scrap off the majority of it and trying again with the "cleaner" I have, but am concerned about scratching the mud flap. (Should have called it a "tar flap"!!)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Turtle Wax BugNTar Remover (keep at it - might be what you're using already)

WD40

Wash either off w/your usual carwash when through.

·
Registered
128 Posts
if you promise to be careful . . . you could use one of those plastic wall compound puttly blades . . .

i used a few all winter to clean uo the sumer car in places that needed scraping . . . engine bay etc . .

when you are close to the surface - then you can wet a rag with the remover you use - and get it to stay in place - helps to soak in that way and get under better . . .

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TheWorm said:
Turtle Wax BugNTar Remover (keep at it - might be what you're using already)

WD40

Wash either off w/your usual carwash when through.

Thanks Worm, the WD40 worked just great!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Glad to hear it...guess it's squeak-free now, too :)

Just a reminder to wash it off immediately and thoroughly for those trying this at home. BTW, I don't know whether the WD40 would effect aftermarket pinstripes or decals -- it could.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, I would think there is the potential for the ingredients in those removers to affect vinyl stripes etc . . not a quick use - but dis-coloring is possible .

i would be certain to wash well as Worm suggests . . .

·
Registered
715 Posts
Meguiar's Bug/Tar remover works pretty good as well.

Of course, down heah in Texas, you never know if the "tar" you get on your X is from the road or from some local yokel in an F150 a few car lengths ahead a ya who is chewin' some Skoal and spittin' out the winder.;)

Or is that the nicotine? In either case, it's uuuuuuuugly!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts