Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 MDX:

So, decided to tackle this project today. I've got everything apart, but having trouble getting the inboard end out of the transmission. Any advice on the best way to do this? The few DIY's I read all said to just "pry it out" without much help on exactly how to do it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
There is a small c-shaped clip made of spring steel in a groove on the end of the CV shaft, inside the transaxle housing, that holds the axle in. You need to apply enough force to cause this clip to compress and allow the axle to slide out. It doesn't take too much force, but enough that it has to be deliberate. Use a pry bar between the CV shaft and the transaxle housing and smack the pry bar with the palm of your hand. The CV shaft should pop out.

Reactions: Benson

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. This was helpful. I was prepared for a fight, based on some other comments I read elsewhere.

Just a pickle fork and hand pressure was all it took. Hey, is it normal for a cup of transmission fluid to drain out when removing the axle?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Hey, is it normal for a cup of transmission fluid to drain out when removing the axle?
Yes, I've had that happen, before. It's not usually enough to cause a level problem, but it's always a good idea to double-check your fluid level and top-up, if needed.

Reactions: Benson
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.