Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damm those birds!! What do you guys use to remove bird droppings? With the new paint, I would be concerned about scratching the surface.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Lester,

My surefire method:

Spray on Zwhatever-it-is or Meguiars Quik Detailer (I use it because I have a bunch of it before I became a follower of the Brothers Zaino--both work equally well) and let it sit on the spot for a few minutes. (Place a towel below the spot so as not to let the detailer streak down the side of the car.)

After 1-3 minutes, give it another good spray and voila! Wipe away--no scratching, and if you've got Zaino underneath, you shouldn't have to worry about any damage...

Let us know what you do...

Rob :cool:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I think Rob is talkin' about the z6. I squirt LOTS of diluted z7 (car wash) on it. Just screwed a nozzle onto an old bottle of z7 that still had goop on the sides, and filled with regular water.

Rob, are you finding the z6 works better than the z7 for this? I haven't tried using z6, just because it's more expensive and the water-filled old bottle of z7 is free :)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I clipped a bird doo post from the Edmunds forum. Saying pretty much what we've already said, so we must be right :)
I asked Sal about bird doo once, and he said that speed is the most important thing in removing bird doo. As you know, it is an acid, and it will eat through the Zaino, then through the clear coat, then eat into the paint.

Coats of Zaino help, and will slow it down.

I don't think anyone can say if the damage has been done, but if you wash it carefully with z7 and then apply z6 onto the area and you cannot see any residual pattern of where the dropping sat, then you are OK. If you can see the pattern even after that, then I don't know what to do to remove it. You may need to use a light abrasive or scratch remover.

Finally, be careful in removing bird droppings, as they contain gravel, which will scratch the paint if you just rub it around with a wet cloth. Get it wet first, let it soak, then remove it as carefully as you can. I use a Z7/water mix in a spray bottle, then use the hose and get as much as possible off the car without touching it. (Which is fine with me because it's icky.)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Speed is definitely the key to getting the bird droppings off.

I use Speed Shine from Griot's Garage . I first spray on, let soak a few seconds, then wipe off with a clean cloth. Simple.

·
Registered
446 Posts
this has nothing to do with this thread, but last winter I got a new skiing jacket and took a ride in my car on a nice 46 degree afternoon with all windows rolled down.. I don't know why - either the smell of the new jacket or the fact i was munching on a muffin while driving or hell knows what - but i got ATTACKED by about 25-30 pigeons.. they actually crapped ALL OVER the car, flew inside and crapped on me and all over INSIDE the car.. damn Pigeons!!

Gene

p.s. any ornithologiests (bird scholars) out there care to explain?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bird attack

Genemish - I'm sorry to hear about your nighmarish experience with the bird attack last winter, but I must say that I had to re-read your post a few times and laughed harder each time.
Make sure you don't wear a new jacket or eat muffins in your new MDX:eek:
Oh, and I read on another thread that you expect delivery of your X tomorrow. Good luck and congratulations:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts