Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small paddle of engine oil inside the manifold. Is that normal and should I clean it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Everything is normal, there.
PCV will allow oil particles to get to the manifold and most of them are burned through the combustion chamber EXACTLY HOW ITS DESIGNED TO DO SO.

Now you better replace that red gasket on the manifold cover, as Honda says you have to do so :D

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything is normal, there.
PCV will allow oil particles to get to the manifold and most of them are burned through the combustion chamber EXACTLY HOW ITS DESIGNED TO DO SO.

Now you better replace that red gasket on the manifold cover, as Honda says you have to do so :D

I am putting back the manifold cover and no I did not replace the red gasket because it looks new and pliable. Why wasted? Now I feel confident and will remove it again and remove the manifold out the car. One step at a time.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have this torque meter that range 0-200 IN-LB or 0-219 KG-CM. How do I convert this to FT-LB or N-m

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I have this torque meter that range 0-200 IN-LB or 0-219 KG-CM.
12 in-lbs per 1 ft-lb.

You may consider adding another torque wrench to your tool collection. Torque wrenches are most accurate in the middle of their range -- they become less accurate towards the extremes of their range. Your torque wrench has a range of 0-16.667 ft-lbs and is probably only accurate between 5~12 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
12 in-lbs per 1 ft-lb.

You may consider adding another torque wrench to your tool collection. Torque wrenches are most accurate in the middle of their range -- they become less accurate towards the extremes of their range. Your torque wrench has a range of 0-16.667 ft-lbs and is probably only accurate between 5~12 ft-lbs.

Thanks. So I can use it to torque the manifold cover which is 8.7 ft-lbs

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Skirmich, Does this filler guage good enough?

https://www.harborfreight.com/32-piece-sae-metric-feeler-gauge-32214.html

0.0015 in. , 0.002 in. , 0.0025 in. , 0.003 in. , 0.004 in. ,
0.005 in. , 0.006 in. , 0.007 in. , 0.008 in. , 0.009 in. ,
0.010 in. (2), 0.011 in. , 0.012 in. , 0.013 in. , 0.014 in. ,
0.015 in. , 0.016 in. , 0.017 in. , 0.018 in. , 0.019 in. ,
0.020 in. , 0.021 in. , 0.022 in. , 0.023 in. , 0.024 in. ,
0.025 in. , 0.026 in. , 0.028 in. , 0.030 in. , 0.032 in. , 0.035 in.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Honda uses metric not standard..
Get a milimetric set.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The sticker under the hood does not show the valve adjustment SPEC. where can I find this on 2011 MDX? Should I used the 2007 MDX SPEC?
For $10 a day (or $50 for a full month) you can get access to the service information from Honda/Acura. I recommend doing so for "big" jobs.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

Also, what is your mileage? I'm not too familiar with the 2nd gen maintenance schedule... But many vehicles need new timing belt, tensioner, and water pump around the same time as the valve adjustment... Labor is similar, so I'd do them together.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For $10 a day (or $50 for a full month) you can get access to the service information from Honda/Acura. I recommend doing so for "big" jobs.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

Also, what is your mileage? I'm not too familiar with the 2nd gen maintenance schedule... But many vehicles need new timing belt, tensioner, and water pump around the same time as the valve adjustment... Labor is similar, so I'd do them together.

Hi, 80,000 miles with slightly engine noise ticking. I just want to check the valves and if necessary adjustment them. And re tighten the rocker shaft bridge. I will tackle timing belt later

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Mine is different:

Valve lash must be the same for all J37A1s as the engine heads are the same all through 07 to 13. The block and compression is the only thing that changed in all those years.

Just for reference that valve lash spec is the same for my TL-S so it seems quite universal among J Series.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine is different:

Valve lash must be the same for all J37A1s as the engine heads are the same all through 07 to 13. The block and compression is the only thing that changed in all those years.

Just for reference that valve lash spec is the same for my TL-S so it seems quite universal among J Series.

Ok thank. Just want to make I have the right specs

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok thank. Just want to make I have the right specs

Skirmich, One more question. The manual said to remove the spark plugs to make the crankshaft easy to turn. Can I skip this part and just use a breaker bar to turn the crankshaft while the spark plugs are installed? Doing this way will cause any damage to the pistons or the engine?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
It wont damage anything but I sure hope you have strong arms...

Why are you not willing to remove the plugs anyway? Its not like they are one time use..

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Why are you not willing to remove the plugs anyway? Its not like they are one time use..

I just installed a news plugs and I don't want to keep pulling them out and putting them back in. I want to avoid any mishap. If I have to remove the plugs again it would be the third time and if I have to do a t-belt soon that would be the forth time to remove the plugs. The first time I removed the old plugs was to check and put them back in. The second time I replaced the plugs. I am afraid that the plug thread on the engine block may get damaged. I am going to check out now if I can move the crankshaft without pulling out the plugs.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
You should check the tightness on the middle plugs now and then... I found out thanks to some of the members that the plug 5 likes to undo itself.. So I am checking them out every 10K so it remains in spec.

Reactions: 07J36

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

OK Good new. I can turn the crankshaft with ease with the help of one foot pipe bar connected to the 1/2 racket and jacked up the car on the passenger side a little bit so the racket have Rome to move. There is no need to remove the spark plugs.

Tell me if the markings are lining up Ok.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts