Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife doesn’t like the look of them and said she bangs her leg on them. Are they easy to remove and can I sell? (What price avg?)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, they are easily removed and just unbolt. Each side has three brackets with 2 bolts in each. There is a small tab of the bottom plastic trim at each bracket that gets cut out when they are installed but is not visible from the side.

I agree they are only cosmetic. Don't really stick out far enough to use as a step and mostly in the way entering/exiting the vehicle. I considered adding them but I do a lot of skiing and driving in snow and they lower the ground clearance in that area behind the wheels and are just a place for lots of snow and mud to accumulate.

They are around $500 new from dealer, but I've seen them as low around $250 new on eBay. I would say you could get around $200 for them on Craigslist.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Might depend on what year is your MDX? I've had running boards installed on my 19 MDX and they had to remove the side sills with the chrome trim from both sides before installation. I didn't worry about getting side sills back since I have elderly parents that use the running boards. I don't know if the 14-16 MDXs had to remove any parts to install the running boards you might be missing?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
On 14-16, you can remove the advance steps without having to put anything back. If you had the sport steps (where it sticks out only for rear doors), you need to find a set of rocker panels to put back. 17+ you will also need to find a set of rockers to put back unless you got one where they put on 14-16 advance boards (they're compatible).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On 14-16, you can remove the advance steps without having to put anything back. If you had the sport steps (where it sticks out only for rear doors), you need to find a set of rocker panels to put back. 17+ you will also need to find a set of rockers to put back unless you got one where they put on 14-16 advance boards (they're compatible).

Thanks! They are on a 2015 MDX Advance, so from what your saying it should be easy to remove and shouldn't have to replace it with anything. Probably posting on craigslist or facebook local for $300

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Thanks! They are on a 2015 MDX Advance, so from what your saying it should be easy to remove and shouldn't have to replace it with anything. Probably posting on craigslist or facebook local for $300
Yep basically just 6 bolts attach the boards to the car underneath, but it would be easier if you remove the boards off the brackets first and then remove the brackets.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Where are you located? Might be interested in the boards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are they any useful, I was thinking of installing on 19. I can get aftermarket locally for $280

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Are they any useful, I was thinking of installing on 19. I can get aftermarket locally for $280
I find running boards highly annoying and a detriment and if for some reason the vehicle I bought came with them I'd remove them right away and get rid of them, even if it's to give them away for free or toss them in the trash. All they do is whack the back of my leg, getting my leg dirty in the process. In addition, the MDX has a fairly low ingress height compared to more traditional truck based SUVs so it's not really that much of a step-in height, which is what a side step/board is trying to compensate for.

...but some people like them.

I suggest you go try them at a dealer first, getting in and out of the vehicle the way you normally would and seeing if you think they'd be a benefit or a detriment for you.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
A lot of ppl did it for looks. I think that chrome bar accent kinda helped finish the profile. So in 2017, they added that chrome bar to the rocker and you see less 2017+ add the steps.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
If you are planning to install roof rail with bike/storage attachment or you have small kids/elder adults entering/exiting car, I think the running board could be useful. Else it might just prevent some debris flying up and hits the bottom door panel at high speed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you are planning to install roof rail with bike/storage attachment or you have small kids/elder adults entering/exiting car, I think the running board could be useful. Else it might just prevent some debris flying up and hits the bottom door panel at high speed.
He is right, I found running is quite helpful when accessing to the roof, also easier for small kid to get into the car. But one thing I don't like is that, when driving in snow, it makes a lot of noise because it is blocking the snow that picks up by the tire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had running boards installed on my 2019 MDX because I had them on a previous SUV and used them. They turned out to be a mistake. The MDX boards are useless and make it much harder to get in or out.
I would remove them but my mechanic tells me I have to find and replace a trim piece. I don't know if the dealer I bought the MDX kept the trim when they added the running boards. (indecently my salesman told me not to get them)

·
Registered
224 Posts
They are useless. I got in a showroom 2020 MDX and the running boards stick out so far they actually get in the way. You would have to be mighty short for them to assist getting in and out of the vehicle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts