Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My navi just says check disc. I know it's the DVD unit. It's like 350 to send it out and have it fixed. Honestly I just want to remove it and the radio. I want to put in an android radio with more options than the navi has. I know I will lose a.c. controls but still have the buttons for a.c. above. Is there anything else I will lose or is that about it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not an exact answer but....
You might want to consider leaving your top screen in place and installing a double-DIN unit in place of your existing radio. That way you can keep your a/c controls.
I have an '02 with nav but without Bose and installed a two-screen setup. I love CarPlay and the Pioneer has a pretty decent bluetooth phone setup if you don't want to plug in your cell phone. The AVH-4200 I bought included HD radio, DVD player, S/D car slot etc, but you can get a much cheaper unit if you don't want all these features.
I don't use Acura nav anymore, but it still works as you can see in photo, but not voice instructions. No matter. I use nav from my phone and the voice directions work just fine through the Pioneer and my stock speakers.
I like the look but the downside is the [new] bottom screen is a little low for easy viewing.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just sent in my unit to alpine 350 to fix a dvd player in 2018 but what can you do? It has nav and I already have a 2017 disk, a.c., mpg gauge, outside temperature etc... Not much but enough for me to fix it.

If you have the rear entertainment system you can buy an adapter for aux cable and run it to the front of the car which is what I did. By no means a modern system but it works for my use. Your din looks like a great setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the replies. I did go ahead and just install a double din android radio and wow. I wish I would have done it a long time ago. It has navigation and everything else.pretty easy install.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I wish I could put it in the top slot so I could see it easier. I would like to remove the non working navi screen move the radio up and put a custom black plastic bin in there so it would look stuck. Maybe a qi charger for phones. And a hidden compartment for the hard drive for my android radio.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a 2003 Acura MDX and would like to upgrade the radio. Please advise what type of double din android radio make/model did you install. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you all for the replies. I did go ahead and just install a double din android radio and wow. I wish I would have done it a long time ago. It has navigation and everything else.pretty easy install.
Just for reference, how much did you spend with this upgrade. I was wanting to do this for a long time, but my dad never cared that much for technology and he never wants me doing things to the car and would rather put it in a shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys...new member here, and I just picked up a 2005 MDX Saturday and loving it, but really would like to upgrade the stereo and such.

I have the Navi w/ BOSE, but not the RES....I so far have installed a iSimple Gateway to get the 30 pin IPOD connector and got that installed and working last night, but it still leaves more to be desired. I also replaced the rear door speakers with some Polk shallow mount 6.5's that fit and sound nice.

So from my 1 week or reading forums and the net...I have seen many conflicting things about removing the factory radio, etc and what functions will be lost or not on the top screen.

So my ultimate question for those who have removed the factory stereo and left the upper nav screen: Will you still be able to use the AC controls and such on the top screen? Will Nav still load? I read some things that people needed to put a 70 ohm resistor between like pin 12 and 14 or something on the radio harness, in order to get the touch function back and backup camera to work..

Right now I feel that if I will lose the function/control of AC and Back up camera from the top nav screen if I remove the radio, I might just upgrade the front speakers and just call it a day with XM and Ipod, but no proper Bluetooth, etc..

Thanks to all in advance and glad to be a MDX'er now, as for the past 9 years I was driving a 1st gen Rav so my upgrade has been awesome!! ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just for reference, how much did you spend with this upgrade. I was wanting to do this for a long time, but my dad never cared that much for technology and he never wants me doing things to the car and would rather put it in a shop.
I put in a PIONEER AVH-4200nex. Very happy with it. Has Apple CarPlay + Android Auto + its own Pioneer bluetooth phone and HD radio. You can see the photos of it above.
I worked as a mechanic about the time of the Civil War and I've just gotten too old to work under the dash so I had Car Toys do the install. It was about $1k parts and labor, including steering wheel control.
If I had to do it all over again I might opt for the next model down which isn't capable of playing disks. But I don't have little ones to entertain in the back seat, and you may now [or in the future] have that audience.
I find that I use the SD card slot quite frequently [16gb card for music files] so if I had the next model down I'd have to use a thumb drive for music, or just my iPhone.
What surprises me is that for short trips I just jump in and go... don't want to take the time to plug in the iPhone [3 seconds? wow] and the Pioneer system gives me HD radio and Bluetooth phone and the music on SD card without any special setup.... the surprise is what a high percentage of the time I just go this way.
My wish list? I miss having a volume knob... even though I have steering wheel controls.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts