Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 'X have a remote tailgate release of any kind ? I know some cars have them in the glove box, others near the driver's kick panel and others have them on the key ring remotes. I never would have thought to look for one except that the Kelley Blue Book site lists it as a standard feature for the '02 'X :

Trans., 5-Spd. Automatic w/Grade Logic Control

Trip Computer

Trunk Release, Remote Control

Wheels, Touring Aluminum Alloy

Windows, Power

:confused: :cool: :confused:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Sounds dangerous to me; I wouldn't want the hatch unlatching when the car is moving. Unlocking is OK, but "releasing" or "unlatching" isn't.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's a common feature...

Our ML-320, which we replaced with the MDX, had a button on the remote which popped the rear hatch. My Lexus IS300 has a similar set-up to open the trunk. Even my daughter's New Beetle has that feature. In all three instances, all the car doors stay locked and only the rear opens. It's a pretty common feature that Acura could (and probably should) add to future MDXs.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The Integra was the same way - consider it an 'Acura Feature' and it'll make more sense! They probably decided that this is the most common way to use the hatch - when all the doors are unlocked. Of course, if you're stopping by the car to drop off a few purchases and then run back into the mall, then it'd be nice to pop the hatch, put the stuff in, close the hatch, and leave without wondering 'did I lock the car?' after getting back inside the mall!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Re: It's a common feature...

Leader(in L.A.) said:
Our ML-320, which we replaced with the MDX, had a button on the remote which popped the rear hatch. My Lexus IS300 has a similar set-up to open the trunk. Even my daughter's New Beetle has that feature.
Just curious - I have an IS as well, and while I appreciate the remote TRUNK release, it is that, a trunk. I am curious if the IS 300 SportCross does the same thing? I suspect it does not release AND OPEN the hatch via the remote. I could be wrong though, as a safety measure, the IS remote will NOT open the rear trunk if the key is in the ignition. I guess they assume that is close enough safety-wise.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Powered Hatched Release

I think there aren't any SUV's with a solenoid-powered rear hatch release, except the 03 Navigator (maybe the new Expedition, along with the motorized running boards and power-down 3rd row seating package). This is a very common add-on to alarm installs. I've installed a powered solenoid to all of our sedan trunks for as long as I can remember, but stopped when we got models that came with factory entry remotes.

Didn't want to add separate alarm just to get that one feature. I think the passive alarms are fine, scares the jeepers out of me everytime we overnight in the RX or MDX at a campground or rest stop.

·
Registered
671 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts