Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 15 Tech with no remote start, wondering if it is worth to add it now? I got couple questions,
1) If I exit the car while it is running, I won't be able to lock the door, will that change if I installed the remote start?
2) In Summer/Winter, will the A/C and Heat automatically turn on after you remote started the car?
3) How much do you pay for the key fob programming? I am planning to DIY the installation.

Thank you so much!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Trying to add a factory remote start to an existing car would be cost prohitive. Adding one of the aftermarket ones depending on the one you choose may or may not have what you want.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying to add a factory remote start to an existing car would be cost prohitive. Adding one of the aftermarket ones depending on the one you choose may or may not have what you want.
IKR! it's like around$270+tax+shipping, I haven't check any aftermarket option yet.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It should be pretty straight forward to do the install of the OEM accessory remote start. Download the instructions off of the honda eStore (or another vendor) first before you dive in. Lots of dash trim removal to get access. The programming likely is an hour of labor by a dealer for the 2 included fobs - check with the dealer to find out for sure.

The remote start from Acura will allow you to start the car with the fob while the doors are locked, it'll run for 10 minutes, and will turn on the heat or cool depending on the ambient temp. And if you have a heated steering wheel, it'll turn that on too. :)

I did the install on a Honda in the '09 timeframe (Pilot) and as long as you don't mind popping panels off the dash, you should be all set. It's all plug-and-play....

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It should be pretty straight forward to do the install of the OEM accessory remote start. Download the instructions off of the honda eStore (or another vendor) first before you dive in. Lots of dash trim removal to get access. The programming likely is an hour of labor by a dealer for the 2 included fobs - check with the dealer to find out for sure.

The remote start from Acura will allow you to start the car with the fob while the doors are locked, it'll run for 10 minutes, and will turn on the heat or cool depending on the ambient temp. And if you have a heated steering wheel, it'll turn that on too. :)

I did the install on a Honda in the '09 timeframe (Pilot) and as long as you don't mind popping panels off the dash, you should be all set. It's all plug-and-play....
Hi Andy,

Can you answer my first question?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Did it to my old 2014 myself, cheap and easy! Programming was $100. The A/C comes on and the seat heat may depending on outside temp, I think, don't quote me on it....

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did it to my old 2014 myself, cheap and easy! Programming was $100. The A/C comes on and the seat heat may depending on outside temp, I think, don't quote me on it....
Hey, were you able tot lock the door when you step out the vehicle while the engine is running?

·
Registered
492 Posts
You have to ensure the doors are closed to start the vehicle using the remote, after it starts the doors are closed. But no, you would have to turn the vehicle off when you exit, and then remote start it again, but you only have I believe 10 minutes that can be extended for another 10 minutes.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The remote start is a completely different scenario than the push-button start. In order to do the remote start, you first have to lock the car then you remote start it. Then you go and open the doors, and it continues running either for the remainder of the 10 minutes, or until you hit the start button in the car (or you cancel the start on the remote). The behavior of the push-button start doesn't change. Meaning if you start the car with the push button, exit the car, it still won't let you lock it.....

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The remote start is a completely different scenario than the push-button start. In order to do the remote start, you first have to lock the car then you remote start it. Then you go and open the doors, and it continues running either for the remainder of the 10 minutes, or until you hit the start button in the car (or you cancel the start on the remote). The behavior of the push-button start doesn't change. Meaning if you start the car with the push button, exit the car, it still won't let you lock it.....
The reason I asked it's because I remember someone saying you will be able to lock the door while the car is running, I thought adding remote start will add this feature, cuz when I went to grocery to pick up something, I tend to not to turn off the car b/c it's only 1-2 mins.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The reason I asked it's because I remember someone saying you will be able to lock the door while the car is running, I thought adding remote start will add this feature, cuz when I went to grocery to pick up something, I tend to not to turn off the car b/c it's only 1-2 mins.
Well, if you stop the car, get out, hit the lock button on the remote, then hit the start button on the remote - it will do that. But unfortunately installing the remote start doesn't change the normal car behavior. Works this way on both the MDX's I had w/remote start ('17, '19) and the wife's RLX ('18)....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Really? Spend $350-$400 to add the remote start to your car, so you can run into the store and lock your car with the engine running for 1-2 minutes... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really? Spend $350-$400 to add the remote start to your car, so you can run into the store and lock your car with the engine running for 1-2 minutes... :rolleyes:
I was just saying if adding the remote start can unlock this feature, it's a plus plus.😀

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
You should able to use KEY from fob to lock the door while engine is running.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The remote start does not turn on the heater steering wheel for the 2015 model and I have the Tech / Ent package. Actually there no heated steering wheel for the 2015. I had to wait until the 2016’s came out to get a heated steering wheel. $500 installed. Worth it for my cold north driving.

Not much tech in the tech package!!!!

My remote start was “thrown in” as part of the purchase. It’s worth it. I’ve never tried your scenarios but there’s not a way to engage the remote start while the car is running like aftermarket. You have to stop the engine, exit, lock the doors and then auto start.

What I find disturbing is once the car is started (normally) anyone can drive off without the key in the car.

·
Registered
674 Posts
had a 2014 without remote start. Replaced it with a 2015 when the 2014 was totaled. The 2015 has remote start. I have it turned off because I got tired of accidentally hitting that button on the FOB to lock or unlock it. In every city I have lived in, thieves look for cars to steal early in the morning when people start them to let them run and warm up.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
had a 2014 without remote start. Replaced it with a 2015 when the 2014 was totaled. The 2015 has remote start. I have it turned off because I got tired of accidentally hitting that button on the FOB to lock or unlock it. In every city I have lived in, thieves look for cars to steal early in the morning when people start them to let them run and warm up.
If the remote start is being used,the car is locked. Wouldn’t breaking into the car set off the alarm and shut the car off?

·
Registered
546 Posts
When the car is started via remote you cannot drive off. As soon as you hit the brake it turns off if you don’t have the key and hit the start button.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think some states have laws about leaving a car running to warm up without a driver.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts