·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Mine's a 2014 mdx tech package.
Wanna install remote start...
Pls advice where to buy....OEM/non OEM?

Can I use the existing fob? Or need a new one?

THANKS

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
i bought mine OEM remote start from ebay; much much cheaper than what the dealer was selling it for.

i only paid the dealer to program the two new key FOBs that come with the remote start.

the 2 existing key FOBs you have will still work to allow you to unlock/lock the car. however, only the 2 new key FOBs that came with the remote start package will allow you to remotely start/stop the engine.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
It's up to you whether you want OEM or not. The OEM kit is easy enough to install yourself for DIYers, as the vehicle has the harnesses already made to accommodate the equipment. All remote start kits, OEM or not, come with an extra fob. That's where things start to differentiate. Non-oem ones usually just gives you extra fobs to do just the remote start (and other functions if you buy something capable of such). The OEM one gives you two extra fobs that are meant to replace/supplement your stock fobs, so you would need to get them programmed for the vehicle, which is a dealer visit and cost. Cutting the keys is up to you, as I think the key portion is swappable between the remote start fob and stock fob, iirc. You cannot use your existing non-remote start fob for remote start, but you can use it to open doors, drive, etc.

·
Registered
391 Posts
right.

i bought mine off ebay to do the installation myself.

i had to bite the bullet and have the dealer program the key.

im sure there are dealers with service coupons that you can use against the programming the new FOBs to lower the overall cost for the remote start.

·
Registered
300 Posts
What are the advantage and disadvantage of the Engine Remote Starter?
I am thinking to buy it but not sure if it worth extra $300+.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
To be honest, the most benefit is in super cold weather to bring the engine up to operating temps before driving off, but there are both sides of the fence now, where some claim it's better to just drive off slowly until the engine reaches operating temperature to get the lubrication going and those who subscribe to the idle in place method of reaching operating temp. There are some vehicles that actually state in their manuals that you should not idle your car more than you would do at a stop light. Ours is not one of them.

In addition, having the engine running before you get in means you can have the cabin temperature come to a more comfortable temperature instead of sitting on cold leather. That's about it really.

Is it worth $300? That's really subjective, as it depends on how much you're willing to put up with in the mornings. Some of my mornings start out around 70F, others start around 45F, but those mornings are rare, so I have no use for it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right.

i bought mine off ebay to do the installation myself.

i had to bite the bullet and have the dealer program the key.

im sure there are dealers with service coupons that you can use against the programming the new FOBs to lower the overall cost for the remote start.
Mind let us know the link in eBay?
So everything's working great with you...how's the operating range for remote start? Thx

·
Registered
391 Posts
Mind let us know the link in eBay?
So everything's working great with you...how's the operating range for remote start? Thx

it's Acura's remote starter kit.

Here's one that i found...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Acura-2016-MDX-Factory-Remote-Engine-Start-Kit-38015-TZ5-A30-OEM-/121722318840?hash=item1c57372ff8:g:qCwAAOSwPhdVDayv&vxp=mtr

You want to make sure it's the 2016 model to purchase since it has much better and consistent range than 2014's and 2015's.

Here's why you need this later version of the remote starter -- http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/99185-acura-remote-start-new-2016-a-6.html#post1107673

Other listings:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X38015-TZ5-A30.TRS0&_nkw=38015-TZ5-A30&_sacat=0

·
Registered
39 Posts
My new (to me) 2014 MDX came with remote starter that the previous owner had installed. I didn't think I needed this feature but it's been very handy. Besides warming your car, and seats and steering wheel too (Canadian model), it solves the problem of starting your engine without opening a door when your car is covered in snow.

The reception on the 2014 isn't great so I would get the 2016 units. I do find that if I face the rear of the car towards me the reception distance can go an extra 30 ft or so.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So can anyone shed light onto my current remote start?

New to me 2014 Tech SH-AWD and I have the standard Acura remote fobs.

Press the Unlock 3 times and the MDX starts.
Doors stay unlocked and headlights come on.
Heated seats don't come on.
Open a door and it kills the engine.

Can anyone tell me more of what this option is and any other capabilites it might have?
Could I just get the updated fobs w/ the extra button for Remote Start?

·
Registered
391 Posts
My new (to me) 2014 MDX came with remote starter that the previous owner had installed. I didn't think I needed this feature but it's been very handy. Besides warming your car, and seats and steering wheel too (Canadian model), it solves the problem of starting your engine without opening a door when your car is covered in snow.

The reception on the 2014 isn't great so I would get the 2016 units. I do find that if I face the rear of the car towards me the reception distance can go an extra 30 ft or so.

check post #8 above here to review the Acura TSB as they will replace it for the newer 2016 version.

·
Registered
391 Posts
So can anyone shed light onto my current remote start?

New to me 2014 Tech SH-AWD and I have the standard Acura remote fobs.

Press the Unlock 3 times and the MDX starts.
Doors stay unlocked and headlights come on.
Heated seats don't come on.
Open a door and it kills the engine.

Can anyone tell me more of what this option is and any other capabilites it might have?
Could I just get the updated fobs w/ the extra button for Remote Start?
not sure of the unlock 3xs method...but see attachment for 2015+ instructions

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kinda upset that eBay guy gives only one fob....for remote start. I guess I'll have to use the current fob in summer or as backup.

I might have pep boys install for like $50 with their coupon. How much will Acura dealer charge for activating that eBay fob?

Can I get this whole thing done in $350?
Thanks....

·
Registered
136 Posts
My Acura dealer only charged $550 installed with 2 new key fobs and get to keep all fobs. Dealers are usually a rip off but this seemed very reasonable to me

·
Registered
300 Posts
Kinda upset that eBay guy gives only one fob....for remote start. I guess I'll have to use the current fob in summer or as backup.

I might have pep boys install for like $50 with their coupon. How much will Acura dealer charge for activating that eBay fob?

Thanks....

You bought the fob from ebay and they only give you 1 fob? i thought it's come with 2 key fobs right?

Anyone who had bought it, how many fob did you get? is it 1 or 2?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Yeah all OEM kits should contain TWO (2) fobs. If you got one, they're probably keeping one to sell for additional $. I don't think you can get it done for $350, if that cost includes the purchase of the system itself for nearly $300.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Thanks....

nope. do the remote start install yourself. there's an installation manual that comes with it or you can get it somewhere in this forum.

also, it's pointless to get one remote start FOB. find a listing that has two.

·
Registered
391 Posts
You bought the fob from ebay and they only give you 1 fob? i thought it's come with 2 key fobs right?

Anyone who had bought it, how many fob did you get? is it 1 or 2?
yes. two fobs is the amount that comes with the kit.

wonder if that listing mentioned only coming with one fob before making or thinking of making the purchase?

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have a 2014 TECH and I am looking to get the remote start installed as well. I'm a little concerned on the performance of the 2014 specific kit that the dealers install, I called 2 dealers her in Canada and they do not carry the 2016 parts because Remote Start is standard on all Canadian 2016 MDXs. So my option is to either buy the 2016 kit (38015-TZ5-A30) online and install it myself or get the original kit installed from the dealer. The dealer wants $615 +tx for the 2014 kit. I would save over $200 (after conversion) by doing it myself with the 2016 kit but would risk the warranty of the OEM accessory part.

Based on your experience with the remote start on a Cdn 2014 MDX, what would you recommend?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts