Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the run time for the remote start on a 2017 can be bumped up a bit? I find the 10 minute OEM run time a bit too low for what I need. 15 minutes would be ideal, and yes, the extra 5 minutes would really help me. The dealer is telling me it is not adjustable through the computer. And I'm aware of the method for adding another 10 minutes to the run time by going through the procedure a second time while the first procedure is executing. I'm quite impressed with the long range of the system, by the way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
add another 10 min is the only way. they could have made it so you can adjust the timer thru the settings in the vehicle like most other brand do.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am just curious, why would you need 15min? All cars are not designed to be turn on and be ready to go. The remote start is nice for all EAST coast peeps and those in harsh conditions, but 15min?

why not start the car 5 minutes later than when you wanted?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because, with my morning routine, I remote start the car before I go upstairs to get dressed, brush my teeth, comb my hair, etc, then go downstairs, get my stuff ready and go to work. Last vehicle, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, would still be on when I went to get in to go to work. The MDX is off. When it's cold here (15 degrees this morning), 10 minutes is not enough runtime to heat up the car even 50%. This morning I took the fob upstairs to add runtime by repeating the two-step process about 5 minutes after the first start, did my things, went downstairs to go and LEFT THE FOB UPSTAIRS. During snowy weather, I remote start to let windshield get a good start melting snow, while I shovel or snowblow. 10 minutes ain't gonna do it. Heat just starts to get hot and car shuts off. Remember, it takes longer for car to warm up at idle instead of driving under load. There you have my need (desire?)

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
You young people are too soft. I'm almost 70. I have never had remote start. From Chicago. I never believed in wasting gas. Even when we would be out and car was outside. Got in the car,let it idle for about 20 seconds and drove away. The only time it would idle longer is if I had to clear the windows. Ah,the old days.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have to chime in here.

I live in MN, over the last few days the high has been 5 degrees. If you get into your car and not warm it up, the steering is stiff, the windows fog up, etc and in general the car doesn't work well. (This is not typical for the MDX due to drive by wire steering. I'm talking about my other cars that are 2009 models.)

People who have never lived in "the north" just don't get this whole concept of warming up the car.

That being said, my car is always is in a heated garage. So in the morning when I leave, it's no problem.

But after sitting in the parking lot all day at work, the car(s) just don't run well at those temperatures until you warm them up for a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
Because, with my morning routine, I remote start the car before I go upstairs to get dressed, brush my teeth, comb my hair, etc, then go downstairs, get my stuff ready and go to work. Last vehicle, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, would still be on when I went to get in to go to work. The MDX is off. When it's cold here (15 degrees this morning), 10 minutes is not enough runtime to heat up the car even 50%. This morning I took the fob upstairs to add runtime by repeating the two-step process about 5 minutes after the first start, did my things, went downstairs to go and LEFT THE FOB UPSTAIRS. During snowy weather, I remote start to let windshield get a good start melting snow, while I shovel or snowblow. 10 minutes ain't gonna do it. Heat just starts to get hot and car shuts off. Remember, it takes longer for car to warm up at idle instead of driving under load. There you have my need (desire?)

Cant wait for IoT (Internet of Things) hits the automobile industry (at least consumer level). that way, you can ask...say...Alexa or Google Assistance to 'start my car'. :)

that would be the cherry on-top for adding additional smart technologies to your existing smart home automation.

yes, we're getting lazy.

EDIT: oh yea. it's 4 deg here in MA.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have to chime in here.

I live in MN, over the last few days the high has been 5 degrees. If you get into your car and not warm it up, the steering is stiff, the windows fog up, etc and in general the car doesn't work well. (This is not typical for the MDX due to drive by wire steering. I'm talking about my other cars that are 2009 models.)

People who have never lived in "the north" just don't get this whole concept of warming up the car.

That being said, my car is always is in a heated garage. So in the morning when I leave, it's no problem.

But after sitting in the parking lot all day at work, the car(s) just don't run well at those temperatures until you warm them up for a few minutes.

i dont understand why the steering wheel would feel stiff upon cold start.

i mean, the MDX does not use a hydraulic power steering pump to circulate steering fluid. it's an electric motor now.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I have to chime in here.

As I said,I'm from Chicago. I never believed in warming up the car for more than 10 seconds. With the thin oil used these days,it's even less important .

Reactions: onid

·
Registered
29 Posts
I understand that warming up before you take off is better for the driver and any passengers you have in terms of comfort. However, you are damaging your engine.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I understand that warming up before you take off is better for the driver and any passengers you have in terms of comfort. However, you are damaging your engine.
With modern engines,I don't see how you damage the engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why are people not damaging their engines in Phoenix in the summer at 110 degrees then.

These new engines are constantly advancing or retarding the timing to compensate for things like this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The car is meant to be driven to warm it up/cool it down. Idling will screw it up regardless of how comfortable you will be. 10 mins max is fine. I have the OEM one with the 10 mins option as a default but i never let it go above that. Just take the chill off it and get in and drive it to warm it up, unless you dont care about how its supposed to be looked after. I live in the NE and yes it needs to be warmed up to drive well but you do that by actually driving it slowly at low revs not by idling it for 2 hours....

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is gonna be my last posting in this thread. I merely asked a question about modifying remote start run time. I did not ask for anyone's approval, I did not ask anyone to agree with me. What you do with your car is YOUR business, and vice-versa. I've been asked to justify my reasons (and I listed them), I've been told I shouldn't go above 10 minutes, been called "soft", told the the car doesn't need more than 10 minutes, told the car will suffer from an extra several minutes of run time (really?? REALLY????). I hope this is not an example of what I will find on this forum. Sheesh!!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
This is gonna be my last posting in this thread. I merely asked a question about modifying remote start run time. I did not ask for anyone's approval, I did not ask anyone to agree with me. What you do with your car is YOUR business, and vice-versa. I've been asked to justify my reasons (and I listed them), I've been told I shouldn't go above 10 minutes, been called "soft", told the the car doesn't need more than 10 minutes, told the car will suffer from an extra several minutes of run time (really?? REALLY????). I hope this is not an example of what I will find on this forum. Sheesh!!
People on this forum have opinions. Your question was answered. If people think you're doing something wrong,they will tell you. Except I thought you were soft.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's just a forum. Feelings shouldn't be hurt by just people voicing opinions. I live in the North East 10 minutes, to me a is a very long time to just idle in the cold. It't good for the engine (I wont go in to the engineering aspect of oil pressure, viscosity, fuel pressure, etc.).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts