Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d really like to know why Acura, in all their infinite wisdom, decided to not bother turning on the parking lights when the vehicle has successfully remote started. How difficult could it have been? Every other vehicle manufacturer on the planet seems to think it’s a good idea, why not Acura?

So many times, I am looking out a hotel window. I can see the vehicle in the parking lot. I use the remote FOB to lock the vehicle. Then press and hold the start button. Then endure the obligatory repeated flashing of the amber led, only to get the red led of doom. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. But many times, even when I get a red led of doom, the vehicle actually DID start! Except the only way to know this is to go out into the freezing cold to physically check, because the vehicle gives absolutely no visible indication to the onlooker that it has started. Why? How difficult would it have been? What is the advantage to NOT turning on a light somewhere?

Also, why did Acura, again in all their infinite wisdom, decide that no Acura owner should be allowed to get out of their running vehicle, with the key FOB in their pocket, and lock their running vehicle? Instead, you have to stop the vehicle. Get out. Lock the vehicle. Use the remote start feature. Then go inside to order your coffee. I haven’t yet encountered another vehicle manufacturer who does it this way. Why? How difficult could it have been?

There is no way that either of these choices save Acura money. It’s just strictly a programming issue.

Don’t get me wrong, I love many things about my Acura. But these two arbitrary decisions imposed on owners, by the manufacturer, make zero sense to me. Especially when most other manufacturers choose the opposite.

End rant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I leave at 5:30am for work and see a few vehicles on my street warming up outside with lights on (parking, headlights, or DRL). A lot of car thieves drive around at that time looking for easy cars to steal in New Mexico. I usually park in the heated garage 99% of the time; but, sometimes I have to park outside. I like not having any lights on that early when I do park outside and have to use the remote start to warm things up a bit.

I figured the remote start feature of killing the MDX when the fob is outside the vehicle is just an added safety feature. I don't think you would have the same feature and a thief might be able to drive away if the car is started normally, you exit, and locked?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that there are laws against leaving a running vehicle unattended, with the keys in the ignition. And for good reason! An unattended vehicle with the key in it is an open invitation saying “Steal me”!

However, a vehicle that has been remotely started isn’t any more invitation to being stolen than a locked vehicle with the engine off.

One, the alarm system is active. Have any doubt? Just remain inside the vehicle when someone outside locks and starts it. Then, open a door from inside.

Two, it still needs the FOB to unlock it, remotely started or not.

Three, it still needs the FOB inside the vehicle to
“Start” it. As in, take it out of remote start mode and put it into Run mode. In remote start mode you can’t even shift it out of park. That’s assuming you could even get in without the alarm going off.

So I don’t think putting the running lights on or not could have anything to do with security.

As far as getting out of a running vehicle and not being able to lock it, I can’t see it being due to security either.

I travel a lot for work, often flying and driving rental vehicles. Most every keyless vehicle I’ve driven won’t let you lock the doors if the FOB is still in it. Many double honk when you try. If you walk away from a running vehicle with the FOB and forget to lock it, most every vehicle will alert you with some audible sound/horn. In fact, even our beloved MDX does that. If you walk away from a running vehicle, ignore the audible reminder that the FOB has left and forget to lock it, then yes, that’s a security risk. But let’s face it, the biggest risk to the security of the vehicle wasn’t the vehicles programming, it was you.

My frustration is that Acura seems to have unilaterally decided that it won’t implement either. Yet, they are in the minority. And for what? It’s just stupid. Of course, it may just be my opinion.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I know I can lock my MDX with the other fob when my wife leaves her fob in the vehicle. I haven't tried to lock the MDX from the outside when it is running with the fob in the car. I think the alarm only goes off if the doors/hood/hatch are opened? I don't think you get the alarm if they break a window and crawl in (how some car are stolen in NM or when stuff taken from inside the vehicle).

I have a MDX and RLX hybrid and I think the A/C is electric and not sure if the heater has some electric heat or 100% engine heat. The motor turns on/off as needed in normal start mode when idling and maintains its heating/cooling. I haven't watched to see if the hybrids run the entire 10+10 minutes in remote start mode with the hybrid? I will try and see if it might work to press the start button with my foot off the brake to go change into ACC mode, maintain the current climate controls of heat or cool, and lock the doors from the outside. That might not work for the 3.5L MDX; but, that might be a workaround for the hybrid models. I'm thinking this will only work during summer months with the electric A/C.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I’d really like to know why Acura, in all their infinite wisdom, decided to not bother turning on the parking lights when the vehicle has successfully remote started. How difficult could it have been? Every other vehicle manufacturer on the planet seems to think it’s a good idea, why not Acura?

So many times, I am looking out a hotel window. I can see the vehicle in the parking lot. I use the remote FOB to lock the vehicle. Then press and hold the start button. Then endure the obligatory repeated flashing of the amber led, only to get the red led of doom. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. But many times, even when I get a red led of doom, the vehicle actually DID start! Except the only way to know this is to go out into the freezing cold to physically check, because the vehicle gives absolutely no visible indication to the onlooker that it has started. Why? How difficult would it have been? What is the advantage to NOT turning on a light somewhere?

Also, why did Acura, again in all their infinite wisdom, decide that no Acura owner should be allowed to get out of their running vehicle, with the key FOB in their pocket, and lock their running vehicle? Instead, you have to stop the vehicle. Get out. Lock the vehicle. Use the remote start feature. Then go inside to order your coffee. I haven’t yet encountered another vehicle manufacturer who does it this way. Why? How difficult could it have been?

There is no way that either of these choices save Acura money. It’s just strictly a programming issue.

Don’t get me wrong, I love many things about my Acura. But these two arbitrary decisions imposed on owners, by the manufacturer, make zero sense to me. Especially when most other manufacturers choose the opposite.

End rant.

This post looks familiar. I have an idea for getting your coffee. Turn the car off. Get your coffee. Then get back in the car, start it and drive off. Just because you choose to leave your car running. With none of the security of the remote start doesn’t mean acura should facilitate that for you.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Besides. If the car is remote started,it can’t be driven off. If you just leave it running,it can be driven off. It’s for your security. Whether you like it or not. See, Acura cares more about your security than you do.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I know I can lock my MDX with the other fob when my wife leaves her fob in the vehicle. I haven't tried to lock the MDX from the outside when it is running with the fob in the car. I think the alarm only goes off if the doors/hood/hatch are opened? I don't think you get the alarm if they break a window and crawl in (how some car are stolen in NM or when stuff taken from inside the vehicle).

I have a MDX and RLX hybrid and I think the A/C is electric and not sure if the heater has some electric heat or 100% engine heat. The motor turns on/off as needed in normal start mode when idling and maintains its heating/cooling. I haven't watched to see if the hybrids run the entire 10+10 minutes in remote start mode with the hybrid? I will try and see if it might work to press the start button with my foot off the brake to go change into ACC mode, maintain the current climate controls of heat or cool, and lock the doors from the outside. That might not work for the 3.5L MDX; but, that might be a workaround for the hybrid models. I'm thinking this will only work during summer months with the electric A/C.
Remote start mode is nothing like accessory mode. The climate will not be maintained in ACC mode.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This post looks familiar. I have an idea for getting your coffee. Turn the car off. Get your coffee. Then get back in the car, start it and drive off. Just because you choose to leave your car running. With none of the security of the remote start doesn’t mean acura should facilitate that for you.
The point is that it’s the only vehicle I have ever owned (or driven) that has keyless entry but doesn’t let you walk away with the vehicle running, the FOB in your pocket, but no option to lock it. At a minimum, give the owner of the vehicle the choice! Make it a software setting that the owner can disable if they so choose! But don’t remove the option entirely.

In the fall and spring, I could really care less. In the heat of summer or the cold of winter, I’d really like the option of locking it while it’s running.

·
Registered
126 Posts
There is the option to lock it while running but you have to take the fob out of your pocket and use the metal key in the door lock cylinder. Convenient? No, but it works.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Maybe it’s because I’m old. I remember the days we used to have to get into a cold or hot car. I still do it. It’s amazing to me how spoiled we have become.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't forget you can roll down your windows by holding the unlock button. That will help remove the heat in the summer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts