Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you MDX owners have had the car awhile now and I'm wondering how reality meets up with reputation. One of the main reasons I'm buying the X is that I plan to keep for 5 years with about 75k miles and want as few problems as possible. I'm interested in hearing from those who've had for 1 year +, or with 20k or more miles. How's it holding up?

·
681 Posts
NONE ZERO NADA Problems at 28,600

RoadRunner is now is 15 months old and has 28,600 good tough miles. So far, (knock on wood) I have had ZILCH NADA ZERO problems, not even the notorious clunk or weepy mirrors.
That is if you don't count the #@%*&[email protected]*& screw that turned up in my tire last week - talk about being "screwed". Anyway that was blessedly patchable and not really anything I could blame on the X so I gotta say that I'm a happy camper! And like you, I plan on keeping RoadRunner for a long long time.
Meep Meep

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Problems on a Mahogany

My brother's had his since I think Oct, 2000. Recently he's had a few "disturbing" problems. He's put about 30,000 miles on it already. However, it shouldn't matter. First, he's got a rattling noise under his car, whenever he goes over bumps. Second, his second row seat is not working properly. When pulling up the knob for access to the third row the seat folds as if you are trying to lay it flat, instead of just shifting forward. Third, his Navigation has crashed twice in about two weeks. The screen freezes, and turned blank when the car was restarted. It later returned, but it's a concern.

Mine is only one month and a half old, but on Saturday, my Navi was behaing a bit funny. The touch screen was off by about 2 inches. When I tried to press the button I wanted on the screen, the button 2 inches above would register as pressed. I think the alignment was somehow thrown off. I had to restart it before it returned to normal.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had mine for about 4 1/2 months now, 3000 miles. No problems yet, but everytime I break and start to accelerate, I hear some clunking noise. Not sure if this is common or just my car. Other than this annoying issue, and the 2nd row seat rattle, everything's working out fine.

MDXtorus ...

Mine is only one month and a half old, but on Saturday, my Navi was behaing a bit funny. The touch screen was off
Boy, on a 4" high screen, being off the 2" wouldn't take you too far! This is real serious.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
GCK,

I also hear a clunking noise, but mainly when I turn the car at low speeds. I also wonder if it's common to all MDXs

MDXtrous

·
Registered
39 Posts
That clunking noise is the gas tank sloshing. It is very annoying and I can't beleive it has not been addressed by Acura. It seems that when I told my dealer about the clunking noise, he reached into his desk drawer and pulled out a folder labeled "characteristics". (It should be labeled "excuses") He said that the engineers designed the gas tank to run longer from the front to the back as opposed to side to side where there would be less noises. This was done he thinks to give the MDX more room or a larger gas tank.

We also have a smell that we beleive is coming from the leather seating surfaces. We only have 2k miles on it. No small kids and no one eats in it. We can't seem to find where this oder is coming from. After you get in the car and start moving it seems to disappears. The next morning it is back. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
411 Posts
It certainly pays to post and read this forum. I never knew it was the design of the gas tank which makes this kind of noise. Did any one notice that this noise is more at certain levels of gasoline in the tank? I did observe that this was an semi-occational problem. I will start to look at it now.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
My car stinks too in the morning. I had to put an air freshner in it. It could be the leather seat or something crawled in there and dies slowly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've only had my X since October and so far so good for the most part. However, occasionally my seat makes somewhat of a clonking sound when cornering. Additionally the seat seems to shift slightly sideways whenever that happens. I have yet to take it in to get it looked at, but it doesn't happen on a regular basis.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No Problems Here ...

I've had my MDX for a year (15,000 miles) and no problems so speak of ... no chunking sound, no thud, no funny lurching, etc.

I do have the weeping mirrors issue though, but it's something that we all have.

·
Registered
411 Posts
MDXtorus:

The problem I feel is more like the gas tank one. I do not hear any sound during turns. All the noise is during straight start stops. I am not quite sure if it happens when my tank is half full. I did notice the sound this afternoon and I have about 3/4 full gas tank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
NO PROBLEM, YET.

I haven't experienced a problem yet with 26, 926 miles since
March 10th, 2001. Built:02/2001.:cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had mine since last March, got 32,000 miles on the baby.. just the weeping mirror. but had that fixed and the Clunk!!!! whenever i step on the brake... but serviceman said its the way the mdx brakes were designed.. something with opening and closing..#!#>??<? dont know what the heck is he saying.. or were he just trying to avoid the fix...

·
Registered
616 Posts
IRONED said:
I've only had my X since October and so far so good for the most part. However, occasionally my seat makes somewhat of a clonking sound when cornering. Additionally the seat seems to shift slightly sideways whenever that happens. I have yet to take it in to get it looked at, but it doesn't happen on a regular basis.
Supposedly there is a TSB on this:Latest TSBs But TheWorm has yet to post the info (Worm, are ya out there? ;) )

My service manager also played dumb when I mentioned the TSB, but no matter, the parts were in the next day and now all I need to do is schedule the repair.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
donsev said:

Supposedly there is a TSB on this:Latest TSBs But TheWorm has yet to post the info (Worm, are ya out there? ;) )

My service manager also played dumb when I mentioned the TSB, but no matter, the parts were in the next day and now all I need to do is schedule the repair.
Yep, there is a TSB for the seat-rail shift. I don't have it yet (nor any of the 2nd batch), as my "secret source" at Acura has been too busy with group buys ;).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought mine Oct 2000. I have 33k on it and no problems except for nasty ding in driver's door. No noises, still feels tight. Very happy so far!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
No Complaints Only Compliments

4 months old and 5500 miles no noises, no sqeaks, no problems, navi works great. Quiet as can be. Would highly recommend the 2002 highly and the 2003 even more if you can wait!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for all the great info

I've been looking at boards like this for other vehicles and it is amazing how many gripes/complaints you encounter - especially the MB suv discussions. Was thinking about that as an option for about five minutes till I read about the bad reliability.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
nesta,
One thing to keep in mind, is many complaints and questions are repeatedly mentioned over a period of time.
I have done it myself, because this is such an active board that sometimes it can be very time consuming to search for specific information.
So many things get repeated, but there is value there too, because newer members like yourself may bring a new perspective to an old issue.
But the real complaints have been nicely cataloged and you can review them along with comments and a tally of how many reports there have been of the same problem.
Overall, this is a very reliable vehicle IMHO. Most complaints are nusiances like noises or something related to ergonomics, or poor service at a particular dealership.
Overall, the tone of this board is one of a very happy collective ownership. I am very anxious to get mine and join the crowd. There is a lot to learn here, hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts