Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my RAZO's crapped out on me in less than a year! Not sure if I want to buy again because I don't want to be replacing a bulb every 6 months.

Is this common? Are there better bulbs out there? What's your experience in the past? This inquiring mind wants to know.

(Sorry about the new thread but I didn't want to read all 132 post in the headlight bulbs thread. Posts there were drifting.)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Hey 7 -- long time no see!

I know A4L logged a complaint about the longevity of the Razo's, and I seem to recall @ least one (if not a couple) other similar posts.

A few of us are using Sylvania SilverStars (via Autozone) now and are generally happy w/them. Too soon to tell how long they'll last - they've only been out for a month. But they're not overwattage and should last as long as the old stock bulbs (one would think).

Some other folks are using some from Platinum Prices and also seem satisfied (search for Platinum Prices and the relevant thread'll pop up).

You can click on the link in my sig line for the SilverStar discussion and some pics.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am using the Euro White Raybrigs.....

for my foglights for almost a year now. I had the same sets in my 98 Accord v6 for more than a year til I traded it in for the X. I also heard some good things about the PIAA Super White series, I don't think they have the Extreme series for the 9006 fitments as of yet.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
7plus said:
One of my RAZO's crapped out on me in less than a year! Not sure if I want to buy again because I don't want to be replacing a bulb every 6 months.

Is this common? Are there better bulbs out there? What's your experience in the past? This inquiring mind wants to know.

(Sorry about the new thread but I didn't want to read all 132 post in the headlight bulbs thread. Posts there were drifting.)
PIAA 9006 hyperwhite is the only ones that is really reliable for Halogen. Otherwise if you wish to obtain superwhite clarity on your lighting, you may want to check out www.hidkits.com or www.hids4less.com

Everything else is kinda crappy. I have not used the Silverstars yet. I have been investingating it and doing a research on POH(power On hours) at my home in my auto garage lab to do tests on the POHs on each of the aftermarket lightbulbs. So far the PIAA 9006 Hyperwhite is the only aftermarket brand that has lasted over a year. The other is a rather premium alternative is to get the actual HID XENON lighting systems from Phillips.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Platinum prices has 3 year warranty

Just for additional consideration, the platinumprices.net ones have a 3 year warranty and for a set of 3 High, Low, Fog they are only $59. Don't think you can really go wrong with that.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all

Fireblade6 said:

... I have been investingating it and doing a research on POH(power On hours) at my home in my auto garage lab to do tests on the POHs on each of the aftermarket lightbulbs.
RE: TEST - If you need one RAZO bulb, I have one in my garage, next to a burnt out one.

MDXTROUS- A warranty, now that's what I'm looking. Too bad it's only 3 years but at least it's something and for the price :D

WORM-How's it hangin'?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
7plus,

The warranty on Platinum Prices used to be LIFETIME!! They brought it down about 2 or 3 months ago.
Maybe cause they thought it wouldn't make economic sense.

·
Registered
747 Posts
3-month lifespan??

Worm, et. al,

OK--I installed the silverstars the 3rd week of January. The right 9006 burned out two weeks ago, the left burned the night before last.

Am I alone, or are you guys experiencing the same thing? I called Sylvania customer service, and they said that bulb life should be ~1 year for the Silverstars...

Any comments/thoughts appreciated!

Rob

·
Registered
442 Posts
One of my Silverstar lows (9006) crapped out after only a couple months. I do run my lights on during the day but that seemed a bit much.
I inquired on another thread as to whether it was because the bulbs weren't tight enough on account of the o-ring. In any case, if another one goes I'll be switching back to stock. I even carry a spare in the glove box because I fear the worst!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
From what I have been able to gather looking at numerous threads, and the links to the MBZ forum which has lots of good lighting information.

For standard low-beams go with Sylvania Xtravisions or Philips Premium (or Ph. High Intensity, if you can find them any more).
For fogs and high beams, Sylvania Silverstars.

Those are probably the most sensible choices from a cost stand-point, otherwise go HID all the way.

The shorter life of the Silverstars should be less of a concern, unless you drive with your highbeams on all the time.

Plus I believe these are all 50 state approved. If you have other ideas let me know, I am always in favor of more light, and it doesn't have to be blue!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Piaa's have a great life span

I've been using the Piaa's for years in all my cars and they last the longest, except for the stock bulbs. Basically you get what you pay for and you will notice the Piaa's are one of the most expensive replacement bulbs, but worth every penny!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts