Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This documentary looked at Regular Gas vs Supreme (short term) and mentions regulations for Canada and the US. Interesting to hear some experts discuss this issue. I was very intrigued by one expert who measure Horse Power (proficiency) of an engine running Regular vs Supreme.

I have always put in Supreme in the Gen 2 X because the manual says to. Maybe I will switch to Regular? Who else things this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=930&v=FPPkPAbzwbU

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
That documentary says it applies to vehicles that don't require premium. I agree with that..if your car is lower compression (like the Chevy Cruze) and does not require premium, there is no benefit. However, the MDX is a high compression engine and requires premium. There will be a difference in performance and economy. If you drive passively you may never really notice the difference and the car will generally adjust itself to engine ping, but it's not good for the engine long-term. Do as the manufacturer recommends.

·
Registered
587 Posts
:banghead::1pat::runaway::flush::11:

·
Registered
675 Posts
I might be wrong, but wasn't there a forum member here had his engine damaged a few months back due to carbon build up from using regular gas?

·
Registered
798 Posts
:banghead::1pat::runaway::flush::11:
x2. Do what makes you comfortable as this has already been debated to death in another thread recently.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remember reading that other thread. If memory serves, there were just as many who believe Regular is ok for the X as the other way around.

What I did find interesting was that in the Cruz, there were higher hydro carbon emissions from using the premium gas.

So from a show of hands, who uses regular gas here?

And for the poster who posted emoticons of yourself banging your head on the wall, why the snarky remark?

·
Registered
84 Posts
not that edmunds.com is the automotive bible but here's what they wrote at the end:

Edmunds.com said:
It's a different story for a car whose engine requires premium fuel. The car will still run on regular fuel in a pinch, but you shouldn't make a habit out of it. The fuel's lower octane can result in elevated exhaust-gas temperatures and possible knocking, both of which can adversely affect the engine's health in the long run. Running regular-grade fuel in a car that requires premium might sound like a good way to shave a car's running costs, but the short-term savings won't come close to offsetting the cost of repairs to a damaged engine.

For those driving "recommended premium" cars, however, it's just a matter of driving moderately and avoiding acceleration with a wide-open throttle. Do that and you might never feel the difference between using premium and regular grade gasoline: and neither will your car.
Save Money and Stop Buying Premium Gas

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Thought it reduces performance and has worse gas mileage if you use regular. That's enough reason to avoid not even taking possible engine damage into account.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Probably because it's stupid to talk about articles, videos, etc that have NOTHING to do with engines that REQUIRE premium fuel. Like the MDX. But you don't seem to get that.
Thanks skinny2, I could not have said it better myself…

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Are they letting those damn kids in here again? lol My bad, it's those motor heads.
Fine, I'll dumb it down to a point even an 8yo could understand:

Q: Can I run regular gas in my MDX?
A: Yes

Q: Will it damage my engine?
A: Maybe

Q: Will the performance and efficiency be less?

Q: Will I notice?

Better?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Fine, I'll dumb it down to a point even an 8yo could understand:

Q: Can I run regular gas in my MDX?

Q: Will it damage my engine?

Q: Will the performance and efficiency be less?

Q: Will I notice?

Better?
I think you better change that criteria to a 6yo as my son even understood it. Great job.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just because you CAN, does not mean you SHOULD.
I've done both. Engine is smoother and hits harder on high test. This is true for two of the cars in the driveway from different companies, both of which "need high test". (the other one burns Fuel Oil #2)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok...here's my two cents worth on this subject. I've driven my MDX both on a daily-driver basis, and on extended trips to/from NC-MI (ex and kids live in MI). I have driven on "regular" (87&89 octane) as well as the 91 and 93 octane "plus" and "extra."

I have noticed that under acceleration, up grade (like crossing a high bridge or in mountainous terrain) there is frequently some pinging and knocking from the engine when using the lower octane fuels. There is no such activity when using the higher octane fuels. I used to be obsessed about fuel prices....but honestly, if you do the math, even at a 20 cents difference between the two, a full tank of gas (roughly 20 gallons) only comes out to be about $4-5 difference. I only use premium grade fuel now...I figure if I'm willing to buy DVD headrests for the front seats, new rims/tires, as well as upgrading the rear sway bar to the 2012 Tech one and an OEM HD tow hitch, to improve my vehicle.....why be a tightwad for a few bucks per fillup, when it involves the performance of the very powerplant? Doesn't make sense to me

Just a thought.....

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
The issue I have is when I visit my in-laws in the eastern central part of the state (near Texas); I can only find 86, 88 & 90 octane at the pump. Not a big deal since I only add about a 1/2-2/3 tank of 90 octane mixed with 91 Octane already in the MDX for the 225 mile trip back home. It is usually 87, 89 and 91 in Albuquerque (near impossible to fine 93 octane anywhere in NM). I don't know if they do the octane calculations different or it is really 90 octane . I'm really considering adding an Octane booster when I do visit the in-laws like Royal Purple:
LINK: Tested! Royal Purple Max Boost Octane Booster

I'm like Ironman51662; I've already spent a lot of $$$ on the big girl already. I don't want to skimp on something that could cost me more in the long run compared to what I can save in the short term.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
The issue I have is when I visit my in-laws in the eastern central part of the state (near Texas); I can only find 86, 88 & 90 octane at the pump. Not a big deal since I only add about a 1/2-2/3 tank of 90 octane mixed with 91 Octane already in the MDX for the 225 mile trip back home. It is usually 87, 89 and 91 in Albuquerque (near impossible to fine 93 octane anywhere in NM). I don't know if they do the octane calculations different or it is really 90 octane . I'm really considering adding an Octane booster when I do visit the in-laws like Royal Purple
At those higher elevations, you don't need as high of an octane rating to have the same result on fuel burn. The thinner air lowers the compression of the engine. 90 is probably all you really need anyway in Albuquerque. Once you get into areas closer to sea level, you'll usually see some combination of 87, 89, 91, 93, 94. It's hard to find 91 in a lot of places as it's mainly only 89 and 93 here so you're screwed a bit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts