Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Regular fuel

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  wasjr 
#1 ·
87 octane in my 2011 mdx,yeah it didn't like it at all even mid grade 89 octane still horrible mileage. Our mdx just turned 147,000 still gets 18-20 mpg. DONT USE A LOW OCTANE. STOP BEING CHEAP! YOUR MDX WILL THANK YOU!!

#2 · (Edited)
I've always used 91 Octane from Sam's or Costco for my 11 MDX with +144,000 miles and my mpgs are about the same. I only got decent 20-23 mpgs in my 11 MDX when on long steady hwy runs (a good tail wind helps also). Getting 17-18 mpg combined per tank about the norm for me in my 11 MDX.

The 3rd Gen 14-20 MDXs worst mpg for a tank is usually as good or better than a 2nd Gen best day. Some folks can see +27 mpg hwy in the 3rd Gen MDX with sh-awd AND you can use 87-93 Octane.

Reactions: Jasmac78
#3 ·
The 3rd Gen 14-20 MDXs worst mpg for a tank is usually as good or better than a 2nd Gen best day. Some folks can see +27 mpg hwy in the 3rd Gen MDX with sh-awd AND you can use 87-93 Octane.
As I have posted before, my 2011 got the worst gas mileage of my 5 MDXs. I started tracking combined mpg with an app while owning the 2011 with the following: 2011:17.7mpg, 2017:22.0 mpg, 2020: 22.7 mpg.
I use 89 octane, unless near Sam's (which I am frequently) then 93.

Reactions: Jasmac78
#4 ·
I own a 2019 MDX w/Technology. I am wondering if it really hurts the engine to use Regular (87) octane gas in the SUV? I have used Premium (93) octane and honestly, my car gets horrible mileage - maybe 18-19 even on the highway. I have noticed that the car gets better mileage with Regular and seems to run just as well. I have had no problems with acceleration or other issues with Regular gasoline. If it doesn't hurt the engine, I am of the opinion to go ahead and use it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

#5 ·
The manual usually only references using 91 Octane only; but, the gas filler door should have a sticker that states 91 recommended/87 minimal. Not 100% sure it states that on the 3.5L MDXs because I have the MDX hybrid version. Regular fuel for me is 86 Octane at Sam's and I haven't seen mid-grade in years (stuck with 91 Octane).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.