Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had originally wanted the Touring and Navi, but after many "discussions" with my wife settled on just the Touring. Then, with my previous vehicle failing, while I was waiting for my Silver Touring,I had a chance to instead get a base model Black/Black, and took it. Now, 6 months later, I'm thinking I made a mistake. And seeing the 03 models out has me really wanting that backup camera too. Anyone else going through this? Arg...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Why?

Why do you think you made a mistake? Resale? Just wish you had more luxurious toys? Or is it just that you see so many others here with those features?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought Premium w/o NAVI and have no regrets. My wife liked that NAVI system, but my argument was: "I can buy a lot of maps for $2K". To be honest with you I can't see where $2800 went with the Touring model. Power passenger seat, CD changer vs. CD player, seat memory? I don't really care for it. When I ordered my 2003, I didn't even know that I have to buy Touring in an order to get NAVI. That would make NAVI $5000 option. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really think its a "toys" issue. Reading this forum has really fueled my fire. I tend to be that way though - whenever I get something new I always want something even newer. :)

miro, I appreciate your comments - curious if others feel like you do.

·
Registered
449 Posts
neide said:
I had originally wanted the Touring and Navi, but after many "discussions" with my wife settled on just the Touring. Then, with my previous vehicle failing, while I was waiting for my Silver Touring,I had a chance to instead get a base model Black/Black, and took it. Now, 6 months later, I'm thinking I made a mistake. And seeing the 03 models out has me really wanting that backup camera too. Anyone else going through this? Arg...
Just use the money that you saved from not buying the touring and navi. and really add some accessories to your car. (i.e. Audio upgrade, DVD/Navigation upgrades, all the OEM accessories). Quite a few member here have chosen to not get the touring and use the money for accessories, your truly.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I look at it this way, if you plan on keeping the car a long time, you'll get some of that option money back in resale value.

When we were having our house built we had to decide whether we wanted the fireplace option or not. We drove around the development, saw 90% of the houses had one and decided that we didn't want to not get one for fear it may affect resale down the line should there be multiple properties available.

6 years later - we still haven't used it but I do plan on using the NAVI.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
since I leased it, resale value doesn't matter much to me - unless of course I decide to buy my way out of the lease early.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I do not regret getting the BASE

The MDX is just fantastic. Glad to save the money vs touring/Nav and still drive the best SUV on the road.:2:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Regrets

I agree with the above poster that IMO the touring package is just not worth the 2600-2800. Countless debates have filled threads on this board, but in the end, it's hard to total up to that amount with an item by item breakdown. I have a '02 with the NAV and love it, unfortunately for 03, the NAV is available ONLY with the Touring, hence the the 5K that another poster pointed out. For my money, a cost/benefit says go with the premium (base).

·
Registered
391 Posts
I checked into how touring & nav effect the resale value before buying my '03. I just double checked the figures at www.edmunds.com for selling a 2001 with 20K miles to a private party. The nav depreciates fairly quickly and adds about $1,150 while the touring package adds $2,125.

I was very surprised at how well the touring package retained its value. I probably wouldn't have gotten a touring if I didn't have to get it for the nav. The nav on the other hand is a luxury, just like so many other things. It is not needed, but I really wanted it. After 2 weeks I am so glad that I got it and I know that I would have regretted not getting it for as long as I had the car. Much in the same way that I regretted not getting all wheel drive for almost 5 years on the RX 300 that I just traded in.:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I too have had buyers remorse in the opposite I wish I would have gotten the touring and the nav especially when I read how all the threads here. But then I remember I am the only one on the car 80 percent of the time commuting the other times I am not in the passenger seat so who cares it is not power. the navi would be fun but the reason I did not get it was usually I know where I am going and if I was going to get such a cool toy with all the hiking I do would be nice to have a GPS I could take with me. My point is heck sit back and enjoy a fine automobile and remember the longer we wait the better the next version will be.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I too have no regrets about not getting the Nav. It's funny how many people ask me if I purchased it with the Nav. I do quite a bit of driving and never once have I said to myself "Shoot, I could really use that Navigation System now!" As for the back up camera I've often said to myself. "Geez I wish I had a camera in the back of my car so I could see the look of peoples faces as I back into them ala that Lisa Grubman or Guzman or whatever her name is girl!" Actually have no need for the Nav but the camera... I would like to have. Not that I really need it. I mean I can still turn around while backing up.

Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
One side note is a big THANK YOU to all of you on this site that have added after market toy's and told us newbies how you did it and how much it cost to do.

hi ho

·
Registered
191 Posts
Navi. is great. Used it extensively this summer in NM, AZ, So. UT and CA. I like cruising and seeing the lay of the land around where I am driving. I even use it as a phone book when I need phone numbers to businesses. It has saved me time and while that is alot of 411 calls to make up the $2k option price I would get it again. Would like to see the '03 voice activated model.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
neide said:
I had originally wanted the Touring and Navi, but after many "discussions" with my wife settled on just the Touring.
Regrets, yes, however, I was lucky and able to make changes before I received the wrong MDX. (for me)

Short version of my X buying experience:

Ordered Black touring w/o navi---
Found this site---
Read about navi here and became informed on the excellent navi in the MDX----
Cancelled Black touring w/o navi----
Ordered Black touring with navi----
Received my unregretful MDX one week later because of the change---

Now I have no regrets whatsoever about picking touring and navigation.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Because I'm not a huge fan of roof racks, I went with the Base Model on my '01 GG and loved it. No touring. No NAVI. It was a truly beautiful vehicle - clean sharp lines and classy ebony interior. The only accessories I added: cargo net/cover.

My replacement solution after the wreck (mostly in order to get the ebony interior without a long wait) ended up being an '03 SS w/ Touring. Do I like it? You betcha!!! Did I want to pay the premium for the extra goodies? Nope. Nope. Nope. But..... now that I have them, I admit I really do like the individual automatic seat adjustment feature, tilt mirror, and Michelins (even though I thought the '03 base wheels were a nicer design.) The other thing is that the Bose stereo, while not satisfying the true audiophiles here, DEFINITELY sounds better than the base model stereo. LOTS better. I also like the power passenger seat.

I DID NOT go for NAVI because I thought the same thing "Wow. That's a lot of maps!" But it is a cool feature for folks who are directionally challenged or who appreciate high- tech features. (Me - I can't program a cell phone so I shy away from electronics add ons!)

The bottom line is that you'll enjoy your X - no matter how you spec it. It's a great vehicle.

Good luck on your choice and be safe out there. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts