Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest a "freeware" program that can get rid of pop up ads?

:4:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I haven't tried this, but a good friend of mine told me that the latest Netscape either has the option built in or there is a plug-in available that does just that...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I use one called Zero Pop.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
This is a more radical approach, but I use Opera as my web browser for 98% of my web surfing.

www.opera.com

The browser is free if you don't mind a small ad rectangle in the upper right, else you have to register. It has a built-in facility to suppress pop-up ads.

Opera is light-years faster than IE. It's amazing how fast it is, and supposedly there's a newer version that's even faster. It's great for reading sites with many links you want to read. E.g. I pull up a list of new acuramdx.org messages, and then, for each thread I'm interested in, I pop open a tabbed window in the background (part of the main window). I've learned the mouse/keyboard shortcuts to do this, so I can open up ten windows or so in seconds (alt-shift-click does it). Then I read the windows, and close each one as I'm done with it. Great for reading news sites too.

Alas, some sites look a bit funny in Opera or just don't render, which is the 2% of my web surfing that I reserve for IE.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try each of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts