Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i currently use a 2003 acura mdx, love it. over the years its mileage has been coming down significantly. i have seen it deliver 24mpg on hway and 20mpg in city but now in midwest winters its come down to 14 mpg, i guess the constant running heater affects the mpg significantly. during non-winter, i get 16.5 - 19.5 mpg for short (<10 m) commute.
i also had to get some routine maintenance and one off repair done that has averaged $150/mo for 2013. 2014 is looking like $150/mo maintenance as well. With gas, I am looking at $250-300 per month on the car. seems very high. low cost color copy at 55 printing
I dont want to spend enough $$ to get another MDX and the mileage on the new ones is no better. MDX is really good on space and I made good use of the space a number of times. Im really going to miss the space. All other 7 seaters seem to be in the same mpg range 17-24.
I would like to replace the current one with a family safe, good mpg, low maintenance, moderately luxurious, good space car / suv. any suggestions are welcome.
if you think my reasoning for replacing the mdx ($300/mo expense) is not valid, you can say so.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
The current low mpgs you have with your 03 1st gen would be the best mpgs you can get with the 2nd Gen MDX. The 2nd gen 07-09 MDX would be in the ball park in price range; but, it is also around the time you will start to see the same type wear/tear issues and repair costs as with your current 03 MDX.

If mpgs are a concern, I would skip the 2nd Gen 07-13 MDX and 1st Gen 07-12 RDX. Those models lean more towards performance and handling. I have both models and mid/high teens mpgs are the norms for me for commuter driving (high teens/low 20s on hwy at +75 mpg).

If you are already spending $300 per month and can still swing that, I would expand the search into:
  • Honda Pilot (high teens/low 20s mpgs)
  • Honda CR-V (current CR-V comes very close in space/size minus 3rd row as 1st gen MDX)
  • +13 Acura RDX (+22 city/+26 hwy)
  • +14 Acura MDX (+22 city/+26 hwy)
Not a guarantee; but, you would be trading a car payment for your current monthly maintenance cost.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts