Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for rec, on running boards for 2002 X, Mesa Beige.

Passed on the dealer installed boards at $900. Any rec's on after market.

·
Registered
44 Posts
gshermy2

I see you are new to the board, so perhaps a quick explanation would be in order. Do a quick search with the site's search engine for Hondacuraworld. I have not had the opportunity to do business with Tim yet, but many, many members on this site have and their praise can be found everywhere. Tim was to modest to tell you all this, but I doubt you can find better deals or superior service ANYWHERE (sorry, didn't mean to yell).

We put the running boards on our 01 GG, and have loved them. Enjoy.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Also browse through the ...

... Accessories Forum.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
gshermy2,

if you are looking for acura/honda parts. I will suggest you order them from Tim. It is a lot cheaper, but you will have to install them by yourself.

Install running board isn't that hard, but it take few hours to do so. (Took me two hours)

good luck..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the info. Are there different styles and what are the prices?? Any preferences ???

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Acura has running board and side step.

It totally depend on which one you like better.

Same price for both of them as well.

you might able to find some pictures on either runningboard or side step in photo section.

- JTM

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Tim gets my VOTE!!! I ordered side steps from him. Not hard at all to install just takes time a good afternoon will do. They are light so you really wont need a helper. All in all ordering from Tim vs Dealer saved me 1500 dollars.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
GS, There is also an alternative side step made by Manik that is rather popular on the site - click on the Manic! link below to see what they look like. They're really for those of us in the 'younger' crowd, or at least young at heart...

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I must be young at heart

I just installed the OEM SideSteps; after having them powdercoated silver. Ordered them from Tim. The total price (Tim's + powdercoating) was much less than your dealer installed price.

They were very easy and straightforward to install. I would assume that Running Boards or the Manik steps would also be as easy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not to belabor the praises for Tim at Hondacuraworld.com, but he deserves credit where credit is due. I ordered runningboard and base roof rack from him this week. They were shipped same day as ordered, PLUS both before and after the order Tim was a pleasure to do business with and patient with my newby questions (I don't even pick up my new 2002 GG until Tuesday next week! Must be the last of the GGs, huh?)

seawolf
aka Ferd Moyse III
Greenville, MS

·
Registered
107 Posts
Running Boards

Might want to re-consider the need for running boards on the X.
Due to the entry height of the vehicle, the boards are not necessary and actually
pose a problem when exiting. If you need that look, and the money is burning a hole in your pocket, go for it.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: MDX Height and "need"

When we bought the MDX my wife did not see a need for Running Boards or Steps; she thought the height was OK. Our kids are older so no problem there.

As the months went on and the miles piled up she decided that Steps would be useful because she wears skirts a lot. So in general I agree that the MDX does not need/require help for most people they are useful for young kids, older people, and good looking women in short skirts:2:

That said we prefer the SideSteps over the Running Boards.

·
Registered
699 Posts
My 2-1/2 year old doesn't need steps or boards to get in, he just climbs. They do help when he gets out.

I'd be worried about little feet slipping between the body and steps. No such worry with boards. Lookswise, it's a matter of taste...

When the body is wet or muddy, having steps or boards makes it easier to get out without getting your clothes wet.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
hondacuraworld said:
I sell the same boards for $432.99 :D
Stick with Tim, He's the Man!!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm with Chazman

How tall are you? I am tall and I test drove an MDX with running boards. They were in the way. They repeatedly slimed the back of my pants when I got out. Using it to actually step into or out of the MDX is just silly, especially for someone with legs as long as mine.

And, they look better without them.

But, if you want them, I agree that Tim is the best priced resource for accessories. I have been happy with everything I have gotten from him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts