Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The alert pin broke on the front left brake pad on her 2011 Adv. X, and it's too late when we finally noticed the metal was braking the disc. Now, need to replace the brake pads and rotors.

Would anyone recommend a good replacement brake pads and rotors, with reasonable price and performance?

Thanks in advance?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
For rotors, centric premium
For pads, Arkebono or OEM. (OEM is actually not very expensive.)
Both of them are not Z best, but good enough for daily and last very long. Much better than typically stuff in Autozone etc.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Search Amazon. The rotors have 4.5 star and the pads have 3.5. The Arkebono pads have 4.5 stars. It will cost $25 more. Whether it is worth it is up to you.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for pointing out that. Now am close to decide:
  • 1X AKEBONO ACT1280 ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic: FR
  • 1X AKEBONO ACT1281 ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic: RR
  • 2X CENTRIC Premium Disc: 12040071 FR
  • 2X CENTRIC Premium Disc: 12040072 RR

Does this look right?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Looks good to me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it a good deal?

Finally, locking CARiD for the pads and rotors:
$299.29 Including shipping
  • $60.67 AKEBONO ACT1280 ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic: FR $60.67 * 1
  • $53.37 AKEBONO ACT1281 ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic: RR $53.37 * 1
  • $118.19 CENTRIC Premium Disc: 12040071 FR $48.61 * 2
  • $67.06 CENTRIC Premium Disc: 12040072 RR $33.53 * 2
Is it a good deal?

Besides, Does it come with all the parts/supplies? Anything else I need to get, except for the tools?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
don't know about the deals. OEM set, made by Akebono, comes with nothing but pads and back shims. Please let us know if anything else is included if you buy the Akebono one.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I would strongly suggest getting the miscellaneous hardware when doing your brakes. Specifically new pad separator springs, slide pin boots, slide pin grommets, and anti-rattle clips.

You should be cleaning/re-greasing everything, anyway, so replacing the parts while you're in there is cheap insurance to ensure you get smooth and quiet brake operation.

You can find a kit with all those parts at your local parts store ($15-20) or perhaps a little cheaper online.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I don't even remember that 2nd gen mdx has pad separator springs. Are you sure? Also what is slide pin grommets? I only remember slide pin boots and anti-rattle clips.

For anti-rattle clips, my experience is to take a very good look at the OEM stuff. If they are still good, keep using them. The OEM stuff is of much better quality than those from Autozone etc.

Also what is a good tool to clean the slide pin hole?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I don't even remember that 2nd gen mdx has pad separator springs. Are you sure? Also what is slide pin grommets? I only remember slide pin boots and anti-rattle clips.
The 2nd gen appears to not have pad separator springs, based on a look at rock auto. I have a 3rd gen, and my parents have a 1st gen... so my hands-on experience is more with those models 0:)

Slide pin grommets are small rubber cylinders that go on the end of the slide pins. On the 1st gen they were only on the lower slide pins. Here's a picture from Rock Auto for the 2nd gen hardware, and you can see them (as well as the slide pin boots and anti-rattle clips)

For anti-rattle clips, my experience is to take a very good look at the OEM stuff. If they are still good, keep using them. The OEM stuff is of much better quality than those from Autozone etc.

Also what is a good tool to clean the slide pin hole?
I disagree about reusing the hardware... But an owner has a right to make their own judgement about what maintenance to do (and what parts to refurb/replace) on their own vehicle.

For cleaning the slide pin hole, pipe cleaner can work. If you have access to small bottle brushes, then those can be useful, as well. You can order cleaning brushes for test tubes/piping and other industrial applications, online, if you want to be really thorough -- but I don't think that's strictly necessary. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Did not realize that their names is grommet. I would call them ring or band. Those swelled in the slide pin cylinder in my Toyota, causing the slide pin to bind. That is why I asked how to clean the slide pin hole. My Toyota has run for about 10k miles w/o that grommet. Cannot notice any difference. But I am sure it has some purpose. Next time will replace.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great info, p07r0457!

Never know there are also the caliper guide pins which also needs being taken care of when changing the brake pads. I didn't see any guide or video mentioned it, or I just didn't pay attention to.

So to confirm, the slide pin grommets should be #21 (bush) in the following parts diagram? The anti-rattle clips is #9 and #10? The boots are the part next to #8 and #14?

I can only find the caliper pin boot kit like CARLSON 16160 Pin Boot Kit, which doesn't include the clips. What part is the one you show in the following pictures?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
So to confirm, the slide pin grommets should be #21 (bush) in the following parts diagram? The anti-rattle clips is #9 and #10? The boots are the part next to #8 and #14?
Yes, what I refer to as the grommets are probably better described as bushings, and they are #21 in that diagram.

#9/10 are the anti rattle clips.

The boots are between #14 and #21. It appears that Honda may not sell them separately, and instead includes them in the caliper rebuild parts (#19). I would just buy the aftermarket get if you're not rebuilding the calipers.

I can only find the caliper pin boot kit like CARLSON 16160 Pin Boot Kit, which doesn't include the clips. What part is the one you show in the following pictures? https://i.imgur.com/2rVuV2g.png
Several manufactures make it. Examples include:

DORMAN HW13537
CARLSON 13495Q
BECK/ARNLEY 0841628
RAYBESTOS H15990A

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
The pads are good for another 20k miles, depending on ..... The rotors need to be measured by micrometer. But my bet is they’re still okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.