Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents

I have a 7 years old Michelin X ice for 2008 max. I like to change it to a new tires. Which one is the best on the market now? Michllein Xice 2 or Bridgestone Blizzak DM V2? I am living in Canada with long winter. I don’t drive this Mdx much in snow. I heard Bridgestone might has better traction but Muchellin has better durability?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I bought the new XICEs this season and they are fantastic! Very solid grip and behaviour in snow/ice/dry roads and extremely cushy/silent. I was actually shocked how quiet they are compared to the all-season stock Michelins I had for other seasons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also live in Canada.

I'd personally get the Blizzaks. I have had them on a couple vehicles. They are better than the X/ICE by far IMO. Better in snow, better in wet, better in dry for sure. X/ICE are good for anything - it's Ice - that's it.

Personally didn't find the Blizzaks more noisy than the X/ICE. Durability is about the same - all depends on your driving and length they are on the car. Also, maybe go to Tire Rack & check the ratings on various snow/ice tires to get an idea.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If you are not driving in snow very often then why buy dedicated winter tires? There are excellent "all-weather" traction-rated tires available. Nokian started the category with their Nokian WR tires, now up to generation 4 (Nokian WR-G4 SUV) which are just now showing up. I drove on WR-G2s (2nd gen) for a decade on a previous car and really loved them, all year including snowy mountain passes, water on road, etc. I have a few more months on the OEM Michelins before buying the G4s. More recently other tire companies have come up with competing products - unfortunately Michelin doesn't have such a product yet in SUV sizes. BTW to be an all-weather tire it must have the Severe Service rating (mountain/snowflake emblem on sidewall), commonly referred to as traction-rated.

If you really must have a true winter tire then consider the Nokian Hakkapeliittas. Nokian pretty much invented the modern winter tire, although admittedly the Blizzaks and Michelins are pretty comparable at this point.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I really love Blizzaks but have never tried the Michelins. You have to get really stupid to get the MDX to spin with Blizzaks on.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Blizzak for sure, I picked the ws70 over the DM V2. Also I find the Bridgestones WS are always most cost effective.

Michelin x ice 2 are crap but the x ice3 are not too bad. IMHO Michelin are too over priced for what you get.

If you don't do a lot of winter driving the Nokians WR are an excellent choice too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts