Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gouges in engine cover

Just a little background, I dropped off my car to do a B1 maintenance service, navi issue, and TSB 015-54 update. I picked it up Weds evening and it drove fine.

I open up the hood this morning and find these fresh gouge marks by the engine.

These gouge marks by the engine cover are fresh as you can tell by how sharp they are and the difference in color. Additionally I had just changed my engine filter prior to dropping my car off and I know for a fact these gouges were not there before.

It appears to be cosmetic.

I am really upset right now ugh! :(

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Look like rat bites to me as well. Would be wise to check other places on the car, especially everything in and around engine bay, electrical cables. I would inform the dealer asap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sent the pics to the dealer and he said they appear to be rodent bite marks. He said he has seen marks like this and it usually happens when temperature dips. I do live in a wooden area with many squirrels, so I'm thinking it was probably a squirrel.

Dealer said to come by and he will do a thorough once over to make sure the hoses/wires weren't chewed on.

The timing of discovering the gouges when I just got the car back really is crazy. I don't fault the dealer at all, but what a wild coincidence.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I agree that they look like rodent chewing marks. Be careful because rodents munching on your car can cost you a lot of money. I had a car that had rodents chew on the transmission cable harness of a different vehicle that ended up costing over $300 to fix.

I also popped the hood of a different SUV in my driveway once and noticed a rodent had moved into the space between the hood and the hood liner - i.e. a bunch of dried weeds, etc. were visible. When I tapped on the liner a rat popped out and jumped to the ground about an inch away from me and scurried off. I tapped some more and that rat's friend popped out and scurried off as well. I managed to get one of those rats with my electronic rat trap within a couple of days. This is a vehicle that was driven daily.

In the MDX I noticed some rodent droppings on the engine cover over the course of multiple days. I ended up placing my electronic rat trap on the ground nearby, which didn't catch it, and placed some spring rat traps on the engine cover (tied to a stick so I could retrieve them when they sprang rather than have them stuck somewhere in the engine compartment). Although they didn't catch the rat/mouse, they did spring which may have scared the rodent away because the rodent didn't come back.

It's a good idea to check under the hood every now and then to see if there's evidence of rodents living in there. This is especially true in a more rural type area but isn't limited to that. I was doing an early morning (still dark out) long walk in a typical suburban neighborhood the other day and had a rat run across in front of me and under a car parked on the street. I'm sure the person living there would not have expected a rat to be in that area right where his car is always parked. I actually see rats fairly frequently at that time of day.

·
Registered
503 Posts
This is a great thread to remind people when they are working with a dealer to always keep an open mind and calm demeanor. Not saying the OP did this, but if you come in all keyed up accusing the dealer of chewing on your engine cover it can work against you.

"Stealership" is a common term on forums, I'm sure they have their own name for people that come in spewing their newly acquired knowledge on how to fix their car based on what they read on a message board...haha.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Service manager inspected everything with one of his techs and gave me a clean bill of health. He explained how sometimes squirrels or chipmunks get in there and chew away at the insulation wires and/or build a nest when it gets cold. He checked everywhere and luckily he didn't see any signs of that.

He was so friggin nice and even replaced the engine cover for free!! Service manager said he didn't want me bothered at those bite marks every time I popped the hood, so he just installed a new one.

Dang I feel so well taken care of!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a great thread to remind people when they are working with a dealer to always keep an open mind and calm demeanor. Not saying the OP did this, but if you come in all keyed up accusing the dealer of chewing on your engine cover it can work against you.

"Stealership" is a common term on forums, I'm sure they have their own name for people that come in spewing their newly acquired knowledge on how to fix their car based on what they read on a message board...haha.
Agreed! I mean there are some really great dealers that truly care about their customers, we often don't give them enough credit for that.

My dealer wanted to take care of me and asked me to come in so he can take a look. To my surprise, he even replaced the engine cover so I won't be bothered looking at those bite marks every time I open the hood (that's what he said to me). I truly felt like he genuinely cared and thankful when he said that to me.

Man, what a wild day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.