Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at starting the FUN process of tuneup etc on my 04. I've got 111,000 miles, I plan on doing the spark plugs myself, the timing belt etc will be done by someone better than I, what are the reccomended plugs for the car. anyone use the Bosh Irididiums?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Do not use BOSCH Plugs on a Honda/Acura product.. Stick to NGK Iridium IX and above.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Stock is Iridium. I use the OEM NGK 3657 Laser Iridium plugs and happy with them. Bosch are probably $20 cheaper than NGK online for a set of 6. No personal experience on performance or wear. They usually rate high in online reviews but so do NGK and Denso but you never see actual side-by-side performance data like they compared hp or fuel economy or wear. I look at the NGKs online as way less than the dealer, a little less than local shops, and they work fine for me.

·
Premium Member
2004 Acura MDX Touring w/ RES & NAV
577 Posts
NGK and AC Delco lasted the longest for me (I’ve had my 04 Touring RES for 10yrs now), I had a weird experience of lower spark and bad fouling with BOSCH Plat’s but that was over 5yrs ago (maybe they got better). They were so bad I pulled them less than 2 months in and swapped for AC Delco (was pleasantly surprised at how well she performed on them!). I’m due for a spark swap in the spring and will probably be doing NGK or similar. Never believed each car works good with certain brands but I have 3 running vehicles and each one has its certain thing it does good by. Weird!
Good luck, 111,000 on a 04’...Nice way to start with low miles! Good luck with her.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got it with 95,000 miles. by far the nicest car I've had. I've driven Mercs, audi etc. this is the most comfortable for my wrecked body than all of them... only wish, that I could update the maps in there and connect my phone to the radio.... and cooled seats.... but I do love me some heated ones

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have one advise...(because I made the mistake :) )
Make sure new spark plugs are torqued correctly.
I did my own plugs and one fine day while going 65+MHP on highway big noise and all kinds of vibrations.
One spark plug had come off and melted. I had to have helicoil done to replace that one. I had the mechanic torque all the rest correctly.

I am looking at starting the FUN process of tuneup etc on my 04. I've got 111,000 miles, I plan on doing the spark plugs myself, the timing belt etc will be done by someone better than I, what are the reccomended plugs for the car. anyone use the Bosh Irididiums?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts