Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there know if the Honda Pilot or Odyssey rearview backup camera will work with a 2001 MDX?

:3:

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MDXtrous!

Might just go ahead and try it out! Now I wonder if Tim can get me a good price :2:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know I want one for my 02/nav. I have two little girls (2 and 4 yrs. old) with another on the way and would love the security of that rear view.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can count me in!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If Tim or someone can confirm 100% that it will work on an 02' MDX I would be interested. Need more info though.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Some time back I downloaded the installation manual for the backup camera for the Pilot. It showed how to run the cabling up to the DVD player, which seemed possible with the MDX. It was a lot of panel removing and reinstalling. It came with a video switch that connected to the DVD player. The control came from the Nav. Even if we assume the video switch would work, it required a selection in the Nav setup (special factory setup mode) that enabled the camera option, and I verified our Nav setup does not have this option. That is not to say an upgrade to the Nav softrware wouldnt provide this option. There may be a way to control the switch without using the Nav, as others have done on this site with aftermarket cameras and video switches.

I have heard both that there would and would not be the option to install the new 03 MDX backup camera to the earllier MDXs. We can only hope.

I plan to wait until I know for sure that there will or will not be an option to use the new 03 cameras, as I definitely will add some sort of backup camera to my MDX in the future.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told by my dealership last week, that the new DVD disk is supposed to be out in January with an abundant of new features and totally revamped. Wonder if this NEW disk will incorporate the functionality we need in order to install the rearview camera?!?

Anyone have connections with Acura to find out?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I tried contacting Alpine Too and no answer back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've read the installation manual for the Honda Rear View camera kit to the existing Navi system on the Odysey. It may be possible since the kit provide the cascade connector which intercept and multi-plex the output from the DVD-rom to the monitor.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
ifeldman said:
Some time back I downloaded the installation manual for the backup camera for the Pilot. It showed how to run the cabling up to the DVD player, which seemed possible with the MDX. It was a lot of panel removing and reinstalling. It came with a video switch that connected to the DVD player. The control came from the Nav. Even if we assume the video switch would work, it required a selection in the Nav setup (special factory setup mode) that enabled the camera option, and I verified our Nav setup does not have this option. That is not to say an upgrade to the Nav softrware wouldnt provide this option. There may be a way to control the switch without using the Nav, as others have done on this site with aftermarket cameras and video switches.

I have heard both that there would and would not be the option to install the new 03 MDX backup camera to the earllier MDXs. We can only hope.

I plan to wait until I know for sure that there will or will not be an option to use the new 03 cameras, as I definitely will add some sort of backup camera to my MDX in the future.
What I wonder is, why did it work with a 2002 Odyssey then, which does not have the Navi option for the backup camera?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts