Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at the new Pilot brochure that my friendly neighborhood MDX salesman dropped off at my house yesterday(Tom at Metro Acura in Southern Californa).

I saw that the Pilot has backup sensors and rear view camera listed as accessories. Since MDX accessories are typically installable as dealer and owner add-ons, I wonder if these could be installed on the MDX, or whether the Pilots will be prewired for them.

I also wonder if these will be available on the 2003 MDX, and if so, whether that version will be available for the current MDXs.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
ifeldman said:
I was just looking at the new Pilot brochure that my friendly neighborhood MDX salesman dropped off at my house yesterday(Tom at Metro Acura in Southern Californa).

I saw that the Pilot has backup sensors and rear view camera listed as accessories. Since MDX accessories are typically installable as dealer and owner add-ons, I wonder if these could be installed on the MDX, or whether the Pilots will be prewired for them.

I also wonder if these will be available on the 2003 MDX, and if so, whether that version will be available for the current MDXs.
ifeldman,

I recently installed a rearview camera on my MDX. I got my own color camera, Santeca CDM-301, from www.lightav.com for $145, and had an installer www.streeteffectz.com put it in. I did a Navi conversion and the picture is displayed there. But if you don't do a Navi conversion, you can purchase a rearview mirror with a built in 2.5" monitor for $339 here:
http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=AVRM

The following is a link to some of the pictures after my install:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5662&pagenumber=4

·
Registered
88 Posts
do you know if 2002 Navi supports rearview camera option? there are installation instructions for rearview camera:
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/03pilot/rearcamera.pdf

if you look at the very end you'll find the navi instructions on how to connect the camera. i was wondering if any of you tried to do it on your 'X? this would be very nice to have it :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked up in the MDX repair manual, and the backup camera is not shown as an option in the Nav section which shows almost the same screen as in the instructions for the camera. It has to be something in the software, and Im sure our version of the Nav software did not plan ahead for the backup camera.

Im willing to bet that the next release of the Nav software would have this option, expecially if the backup camera and sensors end up being an option for the 2003 MDX.

After looking at the instructions for the rear view camera and backup sensors, it looks like an afterthought design, otherwise the Pilot would have appropriate cutouts and harnesses already installed. Im almost thinking that the aftermarket options may be better and cheaper. I dont want to rip apart my MDX as described in the instructions for these pilot accessories. And if the dealer installed them, the labor would be very costly.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
One added benefit is if the new software does support the backup camera, it would be very easy to add other video sources also. A simple switch between the backup camera and the other video source is all that would be needed. No more complex custom conversions...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts