Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to change the rear wiper blade? That piece of plastic trim which covers the wiper so beautifully does not appear to be removable...and I can't seem to get the wiper arm off with it in the way.

Help!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It definitely needs replacement...chatters like a mother, and wipes even worse. Nothing like rollin' in a luxury ride and turning on the rear wiper that sounds like dragging a filing cabinet across the floor...

BTW, does your visor reduce noise on the sunroof at all?

Thx,
SH

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have the same problem. It's making an awful racket!! Makes me wonder if it's the blade or if there's too much tension pressing the blade against the window ( or a combo of both?? )

·
Registered
183 Posts
sunroof noise

Hey SH,

I can't really say whether the visor reduced the noise or not as it was installed at the dealer when I bought the vehicle. Was a "freebee" I managed to work in.

Yeah, your rear blade sounds pretty gross! I'll let you know as soon as I get the Service Manual. I should be getting it this week. In the meantime DON'T turn on the rear wiper...you'll sleep a lot better at night knowing you're avoiding scratching the glass!

·
681 Posts
Just Change the Blade

I just changed all my blades to Bosch Microedge. In the front I replaced the whole assembly but in the rear because of the housing I just replaced the blade with the regular Bosch 19" refill. It fit fine and seems to work extremely well.

Meep Meep

·
Registered
40 Posts
REAR WIPER BLADE REPLACEMENT

Has anybody found out how to replace the rear wiper blade without breaking the plastic arm/shield?:(

·
Registered
763 Posts
I initially had a problem with the rear wiper - the motor/tranny was making a crazy noise after about 1 minute of work. Acura of Brookly service dept. replaced that sometime last spring. Ever since then, the wiper itself was making those annoying loud cries every time regardless of the wettness level of the rear window. All in all I probably used that wiper for a total of 30 minutes in the 1st year of owning the car.

Anyway, I brought the car in for maintenance service yesterday and mentioned this problem. They told me over the phone that a tech discovered a worn blade :confused: After 30 minutes of total use????????? Anyway, as i was contamplating changing the wiper myself and thinking that I would run into the same problems as some of you, I was "pleasantly surprised" when I discovered that a tech took initiative and did it himself for $4. I'll live with that :) I doubt it was Bosch Microedge, but for the winter "scraping" it'll do.

RoadRunner, how did you TECHNICALLY change the rear wiper? Does it slide out or what??? There is really very little clearance at the base and looking at it, I was afraid I'd break the housing if I try to replace it.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
If anyone is still listening to this thread ... was the answer to the question ever found????

·
Registered
298 Posts
CAN ANYONE PLEASE POST HOW TO CHANGE THE WIPER BLADES???????????

PLEASE!!!!!!!

And don't just say "Remove the plastic cover" wiseguy...:D

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My wiper makes a very loud scraping noise since day 1. It bounces up and down against the rear window and it so loud I just never use it. Acura told me the blade is worn even though it never got any use.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Wouldn't the rubber on the blade deteriorate regardless of use ? My rear window has gotten really, really dirty this winter so lots of dirt, salt and oils from the road are probably hitting it directly and also running off the roof and onto the window. My wipers are not working as well as they used to and I've been getting chatter and streaking on the rear window ever since the middle of winter.

One thing that's always helped me is to clean the blades with a rag soaked in washer fluid. You'll be surprised how much dirt comes off. Also wash the windows with dishsoap such as Dawn, being careful not to get it on painted surfaces or it'll strip the wax.

Of course eventually the blades will just wear out.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It's not dirt (at least not all of it) most of it is rotted rubber. Regardless of use, the sun and other elements will destory the rubber insert within months in some places (about 8 here in Miami with the added attraction of salt air).

I posted my fix in the "general" area. Maybe a mod would like to move it here. I just thought it would be seen by more people there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rear Wiper

This is hilarious...I started this thread way back when in 12/01. I got an email today that someone had responded to the thread, so I thought I'd come check it out.

I got the X in March 2001 and leased it through September 2004 and NEVER solved the problem. I didn't use the rear wiper from early 2002 until I got rid of the vehicle. It sounded like the guy who did the refill only was the only possible solution....not to be mean, but I'm glad to find out that it wasn't just me.

These days (after having our first child and losing half of our income) I lease a GMC (Garage Man's Companion) Envoy. I hesitate to tell you all that I like it just as much and it seems more powerful, plus I can tow my motorcycle trailer without an expensive tow package installation. It is a little on the small side (width and length), but worth the $180/month savings.

Hope you all solve your rear wiper issue. Because of my MDX experience, the rear wiper is my fav part of the Envoy!

:2:

·
Registered
298 Posts
It seems, Shogun that because it is not important to THEM, other members feel it's best to just hijack the thread and talk about something else than answer the question. :3:

·
Registered
779 Posts
OKeh, I'll try and answer your question. The only mention of the rear wiper in my service manual for my '03 (probably the same for ALL) is on page 22-198. I would take the arm off for easy blade change, but that's my preference given no other alternatives. First, remove the "cap." This is at the pivot point at the end of the arm. Looks like it just snaps on and off. Under that is a mounting nut that connects the arm to the shaft which drives the wiper arm. The wiper arm then should just lift off (according to the diagram) and you should now have a clear view of how to change the blade without wrestling it on the car. After the change just install in reverse. Torque on the mounting nut, if you care, is 8.8 ft. lbs, but just tighten it and it should stay. DON't crank it down or you'll be in a mess. Hope this helps you and others. Doesn't look like a big job and should take, I would estimate, 20 minutes IF YOU'RE SLOW!

GOOD LUCK!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
ROTORRAY
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing