Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw on another thread that the rear windows on the MDX don't go all the way down. Is this true?

We are due to receive ours by the end of the month and I would be truly disappointed if this was true. It is a pet peeve of mine (feel it is kind of cheap of the manufacturer) and I know my kids, who like to climb out the rear wiindows, will not be happy.

I don't remember checking this when we test drove the car. Please say it isn't so.
:confused:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I believe it is TRUE that rear windows doesn't roll all the way down.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
"Please say it isn't so"

O.K........it isn't so.

Actually it is so.

Oh well, I guess you have to use the doors!

·
Registered
616 Posts
JayCT said:
Just saw on another thread that the rear windows on the MDX don't go all the way down... (feel it is kind of cheap of the manufacturer)
It has nothing to do with being cheap. It is typically done either for safety reasons or because the shape of the door, particularly the cutout for the rear wheel well, doesn't allow sufficent fore/aft width for the base of the window to descend to the bottom of the door. The only solutions are to make the window narrower (with the fixed portion wider):mad: or to square-off the bottom of the door by pushing the rear wheels further back - increasing the wheelbase which will compromise off-road capability and increase the turning radius:mad:

JayCT said:
and I know my kids, who like to climb out the rear wiindows, will not be happy.
Your joking right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hello JayCT
You bought a $40,000 vehical and you guys didn't check the rear windows.
Only kidding, sorry to say they only go down most of the way which is OK with me as I never ride in the back. Look at the rear wheel well and it will make sense. Your kids may not tell you but getting in and out of the rear in an MDX is a piece of cake. It is a welcome feature but one that required this rear door design. Considering Honda had to grace this vehical with ample leg room and keep the overall length down I think they did an awesome job.
Other than a wee to much plastic, theres nothing cheap about the MDX.
Besides,when you start driving your X you will forget all about the rear windows.
Congradulations and welcome to the group
Harry

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Maybe it's time to cancel the MDX in favor of the Pilot? :D

The Pilot's rear windows go all the way down; the doors are shaped so it is possible.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not think to try the rear windows.

:8: :8: :8:

I test drove it myself once, then once with my wife (it will be her car). I sat in the front passenger seat and the salesman sat in the back when she drove. I did sit in the back both times to make sure there was enough room, that it was easy to get in and out of and that the seat was comfortable, but did not think to try the windows.

I knew that we should have brought the kids with us. They would have tested the windows (and tried to climb out through them too). You would think that a well engineered $40,000 vehicle would have been designed to allow the windows to go all the way down. I would only expect this in a cheap car. I am disappointed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Pilot looks too much like my CRV. Don't want two of the same looking vehicles in our driveway. I am confused enough.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
JayCT said:
I did not think to try the rear windows.

:8: :8: :8:

You would think that a well engineered $40,000 vehicle would have been designed to allow the windows to go all the way down. I would only expect this in a cheap car. I am disappointed.
I must admit I am totally amazed that the lack of a fully opening rear window could possibly deter someone from purchasing a vehicle. I am equally amazed that you allow your children to climb out the windows rather than use the doors when entering and exiting any vehicle.

·
Registered
162 Posts
"You would think that a well engineered $40,000 vehicle would have been designed to allow the windows to go all the way down. I would only expect this in a cheap car."

I would not think that, and I am curious why -- other than pet peeve -- you would? I am aware of "cheap" cars in which the rear window does roll all the way down. So maybe you should think of this as a luxury feature? :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As an Engineer, I believe that things that are more expensive should be a little better designed. My $25,000 CRV has rear windows that go all the way down, so does the $31,000 Pilot.

My peeve goes back to a company car that I drove years ago that did not let the windows go down all the way. It was a Subaru, which at the time was being raved about by everyone, including a relative that insisted I should buy one. I never liked the vehicle because of the windows. I just found it annoying and poorly designed.

The MDX is a really beautiful vehicle, one that I have always admired. I suggested it to my wife as replacement for her van, thinking that she would never go for it because of the cost. She test drove it and fell in love. Ours should be here by the end of the month. It is just a little disappointing to find out that my dream vehicle has what I (and only I) perceive to be a design flaw. Are we canceling our order? No, it is not that big of a concern.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: You yourself said why

JayCT said:
It is a pet peeve of mine ... and I know my kids, who like to climb out the rear windows, will not be happy.
It IS precisely because young kids can climb out the rear windows that some manufacturers choose to limit how far it opens - to prevent young kids from falling out the rear window.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've had two CR-Vs and never knew the rear windows rolled all the way down - doesn't matter to me. I have never rolled down the MDX rear windows either, but if either vehicle (CR-V or MDX) is cheap, I wouldn't pick the MDX! It's interesting what some people consider important and others don't even notice. I guess that's what makes the world go 'round. I'd suggest cancelling the MDX and get yourself another CR-V - it's the only way you'll be happy. :cool:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I can't resist beating a dead horse just a little more, and ask why a vehicle with rear windows that roll down all the way is "better designed" than one with windows that don't?

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I think one problem is that the "auto journalists" who go for the quick kill in their reviews (sometimes barely driving the car) use the rear windows as a quick summary point -- along with others -- as a gauge of "design quality." That's left an impression on some buyers.

E.g. I've read a lot of reviews that do note:

- "The rear windows do not go down all the way."

- "The trunk lid has hinges that can interfere with cargo."

- "The hood is held up by a prop rod instead of hydraulic struts."

Often those items are used in a review as indications of "cheapness." E.g. the manufacturer didn't bother to use nice, well-designed articulating hinges in the trunk so as not to crush stuff under the hinges. Or the manufacturer didn't spend the money on a strut for the hood (which a lot of owners don't even open nowadays). Or a vehicle cut corners for the rear windows -- a lot of cheaper subcompacts have this feature, though obviously one reason is that the rear wheelwell gets in the way, like the MDX. I'm sure there are some vehicles with windows that don't roll down all the way, and there is no issue with the wheelwells, but the manufacturer just cheaped out. So even if the MDX's is because of the wheelwells, it's guilt by association.

Hey, JayCT, just wait until you get your "dream vehicle" and find other things to worry about -- in a vehicle that, while very good, can never be perfect. E.g. the "okay quality" leather that creases, the gas tank sloshing noise, the pillar door nicks, etc. If the rear windows bug you ...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, lets beat this into the ground until it is really dead! If you ask anyone which they would prefer, rear windows that go all the way down or windows that only go part way down, I would expect most, if not all, would prefer rear windows that go all the way down. It is that simple.

I am not canceling my order over the rear windows. Whether it is because of the wheel wells or to save money does not matter to me. I am just disappointed that this is the way it has been designed.

Maybe the guy who posted the thread named "I absolutely HATE this Forum!!!" in Problems is right.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Before this thread was started, I hadn't even thought about the rear windows. I' ve never tried to lower mine in my eight month ownership. It is a none issue for me. So I guess that it is a matter of preference.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
617 Posts
JayCT said:
Okay, lets beat this into the ground until it is really dead! If you ask anyone which they would prefer, rear windows that go all the way down or windows that only go part way down, I would expect most, if not all, would prefer rear windows that go all the way down. It is that simple.

I am not canceling my order over the rear windows. Whether it is because of the wheel wells or to save money does not matter to me. I am just disappointed that this is the way it has been designed.

Maybe the guy who posted the thread named "I absolutely HATE this Forum!!!" in Problems is right.

Put seatbelts on your kids and that wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Actually, since this forum is often about beating a dead horse ...

I'm not sure if the wheelwells are a legit excuse for not having rear windows that go all the way down. Acura has already put a rear-quarter window on the back door, to shrink the width of the window that rolls up and down. Looking at the rear window, it looks like it might be possible to make it go all the way down. If not, they could have made that quarter window another inch or two wider and there would have been more than enough space to let the rear window go down.

One problem is the wheelbase of the MDX. It's actually relatively short compared to some other vehicles, which have the wheels pushed more out to the corners.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts