Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Avid readers of this forum will recall that I posted a while ago about the rear view mirror on my brand new X completely falling apart on me when I tried to adjust it. Consensus of this sage group was that I should take this in for warranty repair.

Well, I did exactly that, and to my surprise I learned that this is not at all an uncommon problem. In fact, it's such a problem for Acura that my dealer reported that there is not a single spare mirror to be found anywhere in the entire US! He sighed, added my name to what appeared to be a long list of folks with similar problems, and promised to call as soon as a replacement came in.

What's going on here? Why can't Acura make a mirror that doesn't disintegrate as soon as you try to adjust it??:confused:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Tim ... If you're out there listening ... what gives with the problem ... why should an owner have to wait for a warranty part or is Acura not installing rear view mirrors on the new MDXs they are building either ... since we know the answer, I think this is pure BS ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rear View Mirror

11 Jul 02:
Per my dealer yesterday, there are @ 285+ mirrors on backorder nationwide with @ 165+ of those on "emergency" backorder. My dealer in Columbus, GA has 3 of us in that boat. The temporary fix that Acura has offered is to install a off-the-shelf mirror form AutoZone et.al at their expense and then install the factory spec mirror when avialable. We are in the process of doing just that. I only was able to get that fix after calling Acura Client Services (800-382-2238). I have been nice but firm that they need to fix the problem and that I had significant safety concerns.

I am satisfied with this solution but we have too much money invested in the MDX to be dealing with a $0.25 fitting that does not perform as expected.

TCD

·
Registered
147 Posts
With all the backorders it seems to me that Honda/Acura should be aware of this problem, but will the eventual replacement fall apart as well?

Meanwhile I have two concerns:

1. If a cop pulls you over and notices no rear view mirror, can he give you a ticket for faulty equipment?

2. Will acura address this issues and modify the mirror for 2003 models?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't know regarding No. 1; hope so for No. 2 questions.

Acrua is fixing mine as we speak with temporary replacement. Dealer now tells me this is a problem with mirrors on MDX and the TL. Temporary replacement will be replaced with factory mirrors are available.

TCD

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
1. If a cop pulls you over and notices no rear view mirror, can he give you a ticket for faulty equipment?

In CA, you're required to have two rearview mirrors. So, assuming your side mirrors are still attached, an inside/rearview is not required.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i hear ya. the same thing happened to me and my local dealer told me the same thing. luckily is still asked around and another dealer happened to have one and i just recently got it replaced. i would keep looking around for this part.

yoitsme said:
Avid readers of this forum will recall that I posted a while ago about the rear view mirror on my brand new X completely falling apart on me when I tried to adjust it. Consensus of this sage group was that I should take this in for warranty repair.

Well, I did exactly that, and to my surprise I learned that this is not at all an uncommon problem. In fact, it's such a problem for Acura that my dealer reported that there is not a single spare mirror to be found anywhere in the entire US! He sighed, added my name to what appeared to be a long list of folks with similar problems, and promised to call as soon as a replacement came in.

What's going on here? Why can't Acura make a mirror that doesn't disintegrate as soon as you try to adjust it??:confused:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
... I only was able to get that fix after calling Acura Client Services (800-382-2238). I have been nice but firm that they need to fix the problem and that I had significant safety concerns.
Tim,

You recently asked a question about "Acura service", specifically, how they rate and why. Well, IMHO, a customer should not have to call Acura Customer Service and EXPLAIN why driving w/o a rear view mirror is a safety issue. Only when the customer did this, did Acura take action. Why did Acrua take action? IMHO, only because they had been notified of a safety issue and needed to do something to avoid legal liability!!

Why can't they simply face issues and make choices that will keep the customers REASONABLY happy? Why do they insist on making customers jump through hoops and THEN address the problem?

You sir are a model for all of Acura. I keep looking for a complaint about your service [heck you are human!!] but alas none appear. You have been rewarded by success [and well deserved]. They [Acura] should put you on a pedestal for all of Acuraland to see ...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mirror Found

It took about a week (sorry for the guys waiting on back order) but Acura found a mirror for me. I believe it came from Montreal.

Now since my mirror arrived at the dealer, they subsequently had a fire in their parts department:( Originally reported as a million dollar blaze, but now it is being stated that the loss was only $50,000.
Those Acuras can withstand any heat.:9:

Hopefully I won't get a mirror that is laden with the smell of smoke. I will try to find out more about the availability of the mirrors.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem solved -- new one comes up!

Well. I know you all are on the edge of your seats waiting to hear how this turned out, so wait no longer....

The local dealer couldn't have been nicer. He received the part within a week, and I had it installed right away. He tells me that Honda has reengineered the part altogether to avoid the problem going forward. All in all, handled as well as could be expected.

Unfortunately, in the process he also noticed a leak in my transmission, which will require that the entire transmission be replaced. Again, though, they are handling it well.

Hats off to Sunnyvale Acura for excellent customer service.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Re: Problem solved -- new one comes up!

yoitsme said:
...He tells me that Honda has reengineered the part altogether to avoid the problem going forward...
From the reports on this board, it looks like the part could have used some re-engineering. Maybe that's why replacements have been hard to come by: they weren't manufacturing more of the old part, waiting for the "fixed" part.

Good luck to all with their new mirrors!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hey, after reading this:

** Sounds like there is a problem with the rear view mirror.

** 2001, 2002, or all years?

** Do Premium [Base] and Touring use same mirror? I don't remember whether the Premium has the "automatic diming feature".

** If Premium/Touring different, which one has the problem?

** Do all fall apart or just some? Is this a part that is going to fail just after warrany expires?

Tim .. if you're listening ... can you find out any inside skinny?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts