Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forum and found only one post that seems like the same problem. My 2004 MDX, in FL, is garaged. I had it at the dealers for some maintenance, and when we got in the car to take it home, we noticed black goo on the side of the console-I assumed the service tech got some fluid on it. When I looked up at the mirror, the surface looked like it was wet (totally wavy) and the bottom of the frame was like melted plastic. The service writer said it happens from the heat (they left the car out overnight and until 10:30 next AM-temp about 90 degrees). I was dumbfounded-brought it in with perfect mirror and now $500 for replacement. Question is, do these fail all at once or is it a progressive thing?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Ummmmm... it gets up over 110° here in Arizona, and I'm not seeing an epidemic of melted mirrors. I'm guessing that the LCD panel that allows the mirror to auto-dim broke. Whether it died naturally, or was broken by one of the techs doing something strange is the question. I'd say if there's any sign of the panel being physically broken, you have a good case that they did something wrong. If there isn't an obvious crack visible in the inner panel in the mirror, it could have just failed.

Either way, I'd suggest that buying a replacement mirror from a boneyard would be a LOT better deal than letting the dealer soak you for $500 (to replace a mirror they may have broken).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts