Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I have a problem or not with my rear view mirror dimming function. Turning the rear view mirror switch on or off , day or night, does nothing to change the image that I see in my rear view mirror. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Probably not...

When turning it on at night, the view is dimmed so you don't get the strong headlights in your eyes. The color of the headlights of the cars behind you should be white (almost like HIDs).

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
When set to AUTO ...

... there should be NO change in your view in the daytime.

But at night the headlights from cars behind you shoud be dimmed.

To check it: at night flip the switch between OFF and ON when there are cars behind you. If there is no change the mirror does not work. If that works, but AUTO does not the problem is the switch.

·
Registered
87 Posts
How quick...

How quickly should I notice the change? My wife and I have both tried clicking the button, and neither of us notices any change in glare from lights behind us. We aren't blinded by them, but the glare doesn't get any 'worse' when we click the button off. Maybe the mirror is stuck 'on'.

- Conrad

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

My mirror doesn't work properly then. It appears to be dimmed all the time, no matter what I do with the switch day or night -even with cars behind me at night. :(

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a hang-tag type parking permit on my rear view mirror and
when the auto is on, it appears to be dim all the time, even
during the day, because the hang tag is covering the sensor.
I find I need to turn the auto off during the day, so the mirror will
be in the daytime "mode" and then at night, I turn the auto on,
so the mirror will dim.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Very quick

If the dimmer is set to OFF and there is a car close behind you (at night/lights on) when you turn dimmer to ON it only takes a few seconds for the mirror to noticably darken.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I know....

I asked a second Acura service manager (the first one didn't know) about the dimming function of the rear view mirror and got more information, then I did a test. The test was done at night in a lit shopping mall parking lot with the rear view mirror switch on (green light on). I placed a small flashlight up to the photocell of the mirror and watched the image in the mirror darken. The change was gradual and occurred over about 5- 15 seconds. Then I removed the flash light and the image in the mirror brighted very noticeably over a period of about 15 seconds. Note: the changes in brightness were gradual (not sudden), but they were very noticeable.

So it turned out that my rear view mirror was functioning just fine after all. :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
A post above is probably the key. The parking pass that hangs on the mirror covers the sensor, causing night at all times.

I had mine for several months before I figured it out

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mcclendons...

Yes, there is also a light sensor on the front of the rear view mirror (facing the windshield). When I put my finger over it during daylight, the image in the mirror gets rather dark if the switch is turned on. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts