Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like some debris has managed to get lodged between the sensor and the lens within my rear view camera. Removing the entire camera assembly looks pretty straightforward but has anyone had success opening the assembly and cleaning the lens? I'd love any tips/tricks to reapply. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Someone with an ody did 2 youtube videos on how they fixed their foggy backup camera, I used some headlight sandpaper and clear to fix mine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone with an ody did 2 youtube videos on how they fixed their foggy backup camera, I used some headlight sandpaper and clear to fix mine.
Thanks - My problem is a bit different. The polycarbonate lens is still in good shape. Instead, my rear view camera has debris trapped behind the lens. I need to somehow disassemble the camera so I can clean out the debris. Hoping someone has similar experience before I start trying to pry anything apart.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Unfortunately, just getting the trim above license plate off can be a bit unnerving. On some it’s apparently easy as pie. On mine it was slightly obstructed. I also found I need to place rags to prevent paint scratching.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, just getting the trim above license plate off can be a bit unnerving. On some it’s apparently easy as pie. On mine it was slightly obstructed. I also found I need to place rags to prevent paint scratching.
Thanks for the watch out. I'm hoping Tim might have more detail on the actual camera. The service manual outlines the camera assembly removal process fairly well.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I’ve had the additional backup light mod to wire in there for a year but dislike disassemblung it enough I keep putting it iff. If you were ever going to convert to LED license lights, now will be the time to do it. I’d put good ones in like Diode Dynamics or DDM Tuning so you don’t have to go back.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve had the additional backup light mod to wire in there for a year but dislike disassemblung it enough I keep putting it iff. If you were ever going to convert to LED license lights, now will be the time to do it. I’d put good ones in like Diode Dynamics or DDM Tuning so you don’t have to go back.
What are the benefits of LED license lights? I'm assuming they last longer (i.e. don't burn out) but do they help with anything else?

·
Registered
320 Posts
What are the benefits of LED license lights? I'm assuming they last longer (i.e. don't burn out) but do they help with anything else?
Even that’s questionable given I can’t recall a license plate bulb burning out on any of my cars, all of which I owned
over 10 years. Frankly, the quality of construction of most aftermarket LEDs means they burn out in 1-2 years. My good ones are pushing 5yrs but I wouldn’t take any bets on them vs an OEM bulb. I would argue non headlight/fog light LEDs (maybe turning signal - especially switchbacks) are mostly an aesthetic choice to update to contemporary 5000-6000K color temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 8 of 8 Posts