Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear view camera and cold weather - Update - Recall

I have noticed (on my 11 day old 03 X) that when it has been parked outside (around 10-15 degree temperatures), the rearview camera doesn't show any image (yes, I cleaned the snow off it). When I put it in reverse, it shows an image for a split second, then goes black. No problems with the camera otherwise (i.e., when it was not frozen cold).

Anyone else experienced the same? Its quite annoying, because often it is precisely in those conditions that you need the camera the most.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Last night we left a party around 1:00am and the temperature was 12 degrees and the camera worked fine. (The X was parked outside for about five hours before we left).

I'll keep an eye on this issue... :confused:

·
Registered
70 Posts
It was -1.8 here on Saturday. Went out for a spin when it was +9. Camera worked fine. Sometimes it takes a second longer when the Navi is starting up. But never displayed and then went black. Good luck.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My screen was black too

After my MDX was parked on the street over night in 5 degree temps, the rear view camera did not work (black screen) until the car warmed up.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
somewhat relieved to hear there is someone else with the same symptoms.

HrdTsk, did you check with the service department if its a problem, or just one of those bugs?

·
Registered
249 Posts
No, it only happened once, so I am waiting to see how things go

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had my mdx 6 days and the camera has the same issues. It has been extremely cold in the Boston area, but I'm still going to have it checked. For that kind of money it should work always!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My camera CONSISTENTLY does not work when the car is parked outside for 3-4 hours (temp below 25 deg F). It has something to do with the heating up of the inside of the car - because after about 10 minutes of driving, the camera works fine, even when the temp outside is below 15.

This should not happen. There definitely is some problem. I'll get it checked out next week and keep you posted.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My camera consistently gives this problem - I have noticed that it happens when the car is parked outside for over an hour in temperatures below 30 deg F.

Took it to the dealer today. Took a while to show him the problem. He has had another complaint like this. Said there might be a "receiver" inside that may be malfunctioning in cold temperatures. Needed to contact their technical helpline in California - said he would get back to me.

What a shame, Honda - a 40 grand vehicle, and they can't get the camera to work in 30 deg temperature!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been having a similar issue. When parked in the cold, often the camera won't come on. Sometimes it is distorted, meaning the image is split and the color are screwed up. I have noticed that when backing up, hitting bumps jars it enough to turn the camera on (or off depending on if it was on.) Also I noticed that when the camera did malfunction, you can't adjust the brightness of the screen in camera mode. That seemed a little strange to me. Hope this helps and I hope Acura can get this fixed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been having a similar issue. When parked in the cold, often the camera won't come on. Sometimes it is distorted, meaning the image is split and the color are screwed up. I have noticed that when backing up, hitting bumps jars it enough to turn the camera on (or off depending on if it was on.) Also I noticed that when the camera did malfunction, you can't adjust the brightness of the screen in camera mode. That seemed a little strange to me. Hope this helps and I hope Acura can get this fixed.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an update. My dealer just called me - the control unit for the camera is defective, they are recalling all the units (some may be working fine just by chance). So the control unit needs to be replaced. They have ordered the part - may take a few weeks before I get it.

At least there SEEMS to be a fix for it!!!!

Will keep you posted. In the meantime, ALL you guys having 03 X's with the Nav should contact your dealer and ask them to replace the "control unit for the rear view camera".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Actual Recall, or Accommodating Dealer?

I live in the frigid north... and mine has been working when parked outside during the day. However, I've only had the vehicle a couple days and I thought it was quirky one day, but the sun was on the screen... so, the jury's not out yet.

Did the dealer/service suggest the replacement regardless of observed failures or is that your advice?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What the dealer (service manager) exactly told me is - "Acura technical services has identified a problem with the control unit for the rear view camera, which may be malfunctioning leading to this problem - they are replacing these units on all vehicles, so it may be backordered a bit, may take a few weeks to get the part".

I am not 100% sure what "all vehicles" meant in the above statement. My vehicle certainly falls in that category. I interpreted it to mean some kind of a recall for all vehicles till now (Nov/Dec production, maybe some early Jan ones too), since he mentioned backordering, etc. etc. BTW, my MDX is 3 weeks old (Dec production).

If this is the case, I think everyone in this category should get it checked out - you may not have a problem now, but if you have the same unit, good chance that it may act up later. This part of it was my advice (not the dealer's).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'll be making a visit shortly...

MDX350
Given my X is a few days old, I need to go back for plates in a couple days. I'll ask for the replacement and watch for failures in the meantime. Thanks for the response and specific information.

I'm sure glad I found you folks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Interesting...mine just did this the other day when parked out in the cold. I'll ask the dealer next time I'm there...

Invaluable as always! :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have been having the same exact problem. The image first gets very distorted and then it "blacks" out. I will be calling my dealer soon.

I have a december production vehicle & im from NYC and the weather did play a factor.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have my appointment this friday - they have got a new camera and a new control unit that will be installed.

Will keep you posted!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got it fixed!!! works fine now, even in the cold. they replaced the control unit for the camera, which is behind the nav screen. took about hour and 15 minutes.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I find that during the winter months my camera will start out very dark and lighten up as the vehicle warms up through use age.
Is there a TSB for darkness on the rear view camera?
I do know that through the controls I have set the camera to maximum brightness.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts